Winter 2021 LC Thread—I Want Sous Vide

I don’t know where else to put this but Straya.

To reach Peru, Dr. Koepcke had to first get to a port and inveigle his way onto a trans-Atlantic freighter. Setting off on foot, he trekked over several mountain ranges, was arrested and served time in an Italian prison camp, and finally stowed away in the hold of a cargo ship bound for Uruguay by burrowing into a pile of rock salt. When he showed up at the office of the museum director, two years after accepting the job offer, he was told the position had already been filled.

Standard

4 Likes

This is going on my good word list.

1 Like

That’s pretty good, but it’s no titivate.

Yeah, words I know are words don’t count.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ladbible/status/1406054126866206722

4 Likes

Shocking developments rural in SC

https://twitter.com/mandymatney/status/1406228714418016260?s=21

This story is a real life Grisham novel

2 Likes

Looking at a used car purchase and noticed it was a lease for 3 years, then sold about 6-8 months ago and is up for sale again already. Should this be a red flag or would you not worry assuming I’ll have a mechanic perform diagnostics, etc.?

Depends on what make of Car tbh…

Get a full one done.

Mercedes E300. I looked at another but it had 4 owners in 28 months and started as a fleet vehicle, so I figure that one is a non-starter.

What do you mean by “get a full one”? A full inspection and diagnostics?

Usually these are company allied vehicles and can be bought and sold etc by people on a wim, so it should be OK after a

Mercedes dealership takes a look or a Mercedes approved mechanic and you should be good after the report comes back if its all OK obviously.

Edit: If you can pay for a crash report or a stolen police report like we have here it’s also another mind easing check.

1 Like

No access to the referenced study.

30 to 64

The average number of times a year that women cry emotional tears, as compared with 5 to 17 times per year for men, according to a study of self-reports from more than 7,000 people in 37 countries. The study authors suggest that the difference between men and women may be more pronounced in countries where the culture permits greater freedom of emotional expression.

Bolded seems counter-intuitive.

How Often Do You Cry?
  • Never ever. I drink crybaby tears.
  • Ocassionally, ~1/month
  • Often, ~1/wk
  • *sniff* All the time.
0 voters

Apparently, I can control my mother’s Alexa from 3,000+ miles away using Alexa’s mobile app and she doesn’t know it.

What’s my play?

She’s currently listening to Sweet Child O’ Mine by GnR

1 Like

Every Breath You Take by Sting, obviously.

1 Like

The Trashmen - Surfin Bird

Put on “Every Breath You Take”. She hasn’t changed the track. So she clearly likes it.

Can’t push it too hard. I want this to be kind of occasional creepiness, not somebody’s clearly fucking with me, I have to do something about it. If I see it being used in the future, I’ll do it.

So yeah, kind of a slow burn. The sort of thing where she can convince herself that she set the wrong time on the alarm, not her son is fucking with her alarms from 3,000+ miles away.

3 Likes

What’s New Pussycat by Tom Jones

3 Likes

Do movies count? If so, well, I haven’t really been watching movies lately anyway. If not, and this is not a brag, my masculinity is toxic as hell, I probably haven’t cried since I was like 12.

Ok, maybe TicToks of people reuniting with long lost dogs.

If you start to tear up at a movie and try to hide it before somebody notices, it counts twice imo.

1 Like

Cerrone, Supernature