Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

The most famous “heroic” journalists are Bernstein and Woodward. Carl Bernstein’s parents were literal card carrying Communists and he started working at a newspaper when he was 16. Woodward was from more of an “elite” family - his dad was a judge and he went to Yale. Interestingly, he turned down Harvard Law School to go work as a reporter at the WP.

Anyway, I don’t know what to make of all this. All I know is thank God they were really good at their jobs and went golfing with Nixon on the weekends and published whatever Nixon wanted them to say.

2 Likes

As long as you understand that mythology and not reality is what that actually is. Yes, there have been a few “hero” journalists, but a competent media strategy should acknowledge that such things are the exception and not the norm.

Amazing, actual “serious” NYT “journalists” are making posts indistinguishable from a Twitter troll to defend Maggie:

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/1574561803295608832

A very serious profession, some say it is the MOST serious profession.

Democracy dies in darkness don’t you know…. and we are here to block out the sun…

Let’s switch it up a second and post a good media outlet choice. Not sure when this is from, obviously not this year:

https://twitter.com/Monalise_ah/status/1574886338893160466

1 Like

To be fair, I’ve seen quite a few journalists put Maggie on blast on Twitter. I think the last time she quit Twitter it was because a colleague dragged her.

Gee whiz how will a 25 and 26 year old get a “starter home” for $800,000?

LOL a “legal assistant” and third grade teacher. I’m sure they saved up the $160,000 down payment.

The apartment, which cost them $2,800 a month, “was fine, but once we got the dogs, it felt like the walls were closing in on us,” said Ms. Ettlinger, a legal assistant who plans to attend law school next year. Mr. Randel is a third-grade teacher at the DREAM Mott Haven Charter School in the Bronx.

GTFO with this nonsense.

1 Like

Maybe they shouldn’t have gotten the dogs.

Not gonna read it, but which one had a rich parent who bought it for them while they made like $10K on a side hustle to claim they boot strapped it themselves?

I simply cannot resist hate reading those articles.

“A wide search area meant an embarrassment of riches,” Ms. Ettlinger recalled thinking. Mr. Randel’s parents agreed to contribute a portion of a down payment on a single-family house.

I’m going to go ahead and guess that Mr. Randel’s parents are also going to be contributing a substantial portion of the mortgage payments when he’s in law school next year and they’re living on a 3rd grade teacher salary.

1 Like

Why would you say that? They’re only tripling their rent, on a 3rd grade teachers salary, what’s the problem.

She is the one going to law school, he brings home the big bucks as a 3rd grade educator.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Simon_Whitten/status/1575493569611452431

2 Likes

Well…that’s an entirely fair question. But it begs this next question: Does Anyone Still Care about the National Review? I remember being a baby once and reading this on campus and thinking something like “I never agree with a single word, but somehow I’m a better person for having put forth the effort.” That was when William F. Buckley was still alive. But now…Jesus.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 3.15.05 PM

that is… not a split level

1 Like

holy shit

Determined to prevail this time, they immediately offered $51,000 over the asking price and further sweetened the deal by waiving the inspection, appraisal and mortgage contingency — a huge risk, but alluring to a seller.

The couple went ahead with the closing despite a few unpleasant surprises. The house contained hazardous asbestos, lacked insulation and needed extensive rewiring.

10 Likes

The repairs needed to fix these problems were expensive, but necessary. The couple wrote out all of their expenses for a month, looking at where they could cut spending. They focused on making their lunches at home, only visiting Starbucks as a once-a-week treat, and canceling one streaming service, which, altogether, saved them around $105 per week. With this extra cash and their parents’ credit cards, the repairs were now in their budget.

20 Likes

The New American Dream!

Sure we’re shivering in the dark and getting lung cancer but WE OWN A HOME!!!

I legit cannot tell if this is your parody paragraph or pulled from the article. A+ work.

2 Likes

Where the fuck will she be going to law school, and where will she be working after? I never thought about buying before my first law job or during my first law job, because I knew the biglaw firm was toxic and I would eventually be moving on. (But, damnit, I should have payed $700k for a condo in Redwood Shoes that is probably worth like $2M today).

you should have made it $350 or something. the rest is totally believable