WCQ And Other International Soccer

y’all getting your sleep schedules adjusted?

yeah, chosen peeps yaw

They’ve got to get awarded one eventually. Seems like a great option. Not a lot of great Southern Hemisphere spots. Argentina, Brazil, South Africa, Australia are the best ones that come to mind. I guess there are some other S. American countries that could maybe pull it off. I’m not really up on the infrastructure and stadium situation of Paraguay, for example. Possibly some other African ones as well.

A combo bid from Chile/Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay is possible for 2030. It’s the 100th anniversary of the first WC in Uruguay, so you would think the bid has a shot.

2026 will obviously be hard to get tickets to since its in the US but i think even the men’s WC has a bunch of empty seats when held in places like Qatar and Russia. I think WC is kind of like March Madness where a bunch of people watch on tv but not many want to travel long distances to see in person.

I just did some reading about this and ticket sales overall are good (1.25 million sold vs 1.1 million total attendance at last WWC) but the problem is that they’re hosting 29 of the 64 games in NZ, which seems incredibly dumb. Australia has 5 times the population of NZ.

Russia and Qatar are pretty undesirable places to go on an extended trip though, especially for your average football fan. I think we’d get quite a few European fans making a trip of it. Pretty decent number of English fans travel when the cricket team tours here.

TV times are an issue though. To get the US womens first game on at 9pm Eastern it’s at 11am Eastern here. Late afternoon here is graveyard shift in the Americas and breakfast time in Europe.

NZ is having a hard time selling tickets to anything. Even the all blacks rugby barely sells out. It’s also weird they’re hosting 50% of the group stage games with less than 1/4 the population of Australia.

Edit: ponies by ChrisV

I got tickets to Brazil v Jamaica and Germany v Morocco. Pretty excited. Haven’t been to a soccer game in about fifteen years.

I’m wondering why Australia partnered with NZ, since I assume they were perfectly capable of hosting the tournament on their own.

I think adding a country seems to make it more attractive. USA could host on it’s own obviously, but US+CAN+MEX is a better bid.

1 Like

just parlayed the US wimminz team to reach the quarters with the chiefs winning their division at about -105 vamoooo

Crushings.

I made a thread.

1 Like

USA USA USA

So is Reyna out of the doghouse now? Haven’t really been following the drama.

No era penal!!

dos a cero

No cruizin sightings at 22. I feel cheated.

Get rekt

1 Like

He never really was after the World Cup. Team and Gio put it behind them, just blew up because his parents are insane.

1 Like

I mean, Reyna has played 38 minutes for his club team in 2024 and was sent on loan because hes out of favor for the worst dortmund team in a long time.