Walrus Quarantine Version 1 - Reveal Thread

If this had been submitted I would probably have had to listen to it eight times to figure out placement. I have no clue whether I like it or not on first try.

1 Like

I know I gave this joker a first place, but how have we let Walrus come to this!!

4 Likes

Frankly, if I get someone to listen to my submission 8 times I count that as a win, regardless of where it places ;-)

Better than the Sarah Palin version at least.

1 Like

I intensely dislike the fact that I looked that up and listened to a whole 5 seconds of it.

1 Like

I appreciate what Nirvana did and what they meant to music but I once heard someone call them a Pixies cover band and now thatā€™s how I think of them.

1 Like

Since I got the submissions as a block in which entries werenā€™t randomized, I assume yours was Royals based on the rest of the submissions?

Iā€™ll go even further than mjiggy and say that Iā€™m glad Cobain is dead so I donā€™t have to listen to more Nirvana music.

Trying too hard, man. The shiniest blade isnā€™t always the sharpest. Play it like youā€™re very sad he died because his death is the only reason people still talk about them yadda yadda.

1 Like

Ok letā€™s do another while I have time, might get busy soon. In 9th place with four points:

Within Temptation - Skyfall

On the bright side, this fits what I was looking for in a submission in that it sounds quite different from the original. On the not so bright side, I think it sounds fairly generic and indistinct. Itā€™s fine, I canā€™t come up with anything else to say about it. No bonus points on this entry either.

2 Likes

When he died I remember my dad said something like, ā€œI see your mate Kurt killed himself,ā€ in a way that meant I suspected he agreed with you.

2 Likes

OK, fine. I greatly prefer ā€œSmells Like Nirvanaā€ to ā€œSmells Like Teen Spiritā€. Is that what youā€™re looking for? Someone I know already took the take that Nirvana is that band that Dave Grohl was in before he did his best stuff.

2 Likes

Even though Nirvana meant nothing to me at that age, I still distinctly remember hearing about Cobain killing himself on the radio.

1 Like

Were the entrants so far not accompanied by any writeups? When my turn comes, Iā€™m going to need everybody to appreciate the excruciating thought process that led me to where I ended up. This category had me quite vexed.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not looking for anything man, like, youā€™re trying to annoy Nirvana fans and seemed to be struggling, thought Iā€™d give you a dig out is all.

Not trying to annoy Nirvana fans. Possibly trying to annoy people who think we shouldnā€™t speak ill of the dead.

There werenā€™t many write ups with the entries and Iā€™m only including ones that I think add something to the flavor of the post.

I remember being at school a few guys were talking. One said he didnā€™t like Nirvana at all, and this other Nirvana obsessed guy said ā€œwell if Kurt was here right now you know what heā€™d say? Heā€™d say youā€™re a redneck teenybopperā€. Without missing a beat the first guy responds ā€œOh yeah? Well Iā€™ve got something to say to him. Heā€™s dead and Iā€™m not, so he can suck my dick.ā€

That pretty much ended the discussion.

5 Likes

Can we table further discussion of Nirvana or Kurt Cobain until itā€™s relevant to the thread? No one even discussed whether they like Love Buzz! Also no entries claimed yet :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Well you said you know/can figure out. Iā€™m Johnny One Point, anyway. The Bowie and Ure versions probably sound quite alike to people who understand/care about music, but they sound completely different to me. The Bowie one is lumpy, shapeless. The vocal ā€” both Bowieā€™s delivery and the effects laid on it ā€” just distance him from the music. Itā€™s very much Bowie in Paris with an arm full of heroin and a head full of bollocks about witches.

The Ure version is crisp, urgent, haunting. It has a metronomic quality I far prefer and the vocals mesh far better with the music. It even covers up for the ropey lyrics in the back half. Bowie had a habit of falling down badly in the second verse.

1 Like