Walrus Grab Bag 3 Sign Up—GOAT Music Thing Returns

Very cruel to pair this category with a dislike of folk!

2 Likes

Thanks @Pauwl for reminding me about this. I’m in a fairly shitty mood which i’m not sure is constructive for a grab bag. Otoh you gotta respect the title.

If there’s still room i’ll join. Not putting any effort into nbz category i can tell you that much

4 Likes

Category host name: seities
Category: To fit the current moment, give me a song that in some way references, or evokes feelings of “change”. The song itself can change, the lyrics can discuss change, the artist or song can have the word change in the title, etc. If you are still stuck after that go for anything that references seasons.
Musical tastes: I think I am leaning a bit more towards Rock/Pop/Rap/Metal at this moment in time, but I do have a pretty eclectic playlist in general. I’d avoid anything slow or soft.
Any other judging notes: If it’s overly familiar, there will be a penalty. Don’t submit Tupac - Changes or John Mayer - Waiting on the world to change. Try and keep it under 8 minutes.

3 Likes

Isn’t cruelty the point?

2 Likes

category a song with some cool bass guitar

nice and simple.

2 Likes

I’m kicking a few categories around in my head.

@ me if I haven’t selected something by this time tomorrow.

1 Like

Categories so far for people nerding out with picks already. Like me.

Category host name: Pauwl
Category: Old Music (to be kind to millennials, I’ll set it to older than 1990).
Musical tastes: I don’t like 80’s hair metal or hard rock. I like new wave, no wave, dark wave, proto-punk and other weird 70’s/80’s music. Older than that is wide open genre wise. Psychedelic, folk, soul, country blues, ragtime, gospel. Even old school country.
Any other judging notes: Overly familiar songs will be downgraded in ranking. Don’t enter hits by Zeppelin or classic rock standards.

Category host name: meb
Category: A song performed by someone who is more famous for something other than their music
Musical tastes: Likes: BANGERS, Pop Music, Indie Rock, Folk Rock, EDM
Dislikes: Country music, Radiohead, Songs with no lyrics
Any other judging notes: Must be an original song to that performer (no covers), anything from a musical live, animated, or filmed is ineligible, and if I have to put in deep research to figure out why the performer is famous your entry will be downgraded.

Category host name: NotBruceZ
Category: A cover of a song originally by the Beatles or originally by one of their members solo or a cover by the Beatles or one of their members solo of a song not originally by the Beatles
Musical tastes: Very eclectic. See the Unstuck playlist thread. The major sub-genres I am least likely to listen to are probably metal and hardcore/gangster rap.
Any other judging notes: LOL if you pick a cover of a song that the Beatles recorded but was not originally by them

Category host name: smrk4
Category: A song about a historical event. Allowing a fair bit of latitude about what counts as a historical event i.e. it doesn’t have to be like a jazz flute sonata about the Treaty of Westphalia. Please identify the historical event in your submission; if you have a history take to go with it that’s encouraged but not at all required.
Musical tastes: I like metal (but not the screamy stuff), most rock, some blues, some pop. Also into a lot of new-age electronic stuff, but not dance music per se. Neutral on punk and hip hop. Country is generally a no go, although with this category I can’t rule it out. I don’t like huddle around the campfire folky stuff, sorry.
Any other judging notes : I will try to be open to submissions I don’t necessarily love but that have musical merit (as I understand it). Won’t be too harsh on popular songs if the historical connection is good, but stay away from lol obvious choices as I already have a few songs in mind that are going to be instant nodiums.

Category host name: seities
Category: To fit the current moment, give me a song that in some way references, or evokes feelings of “change”. The song itself can change, the lyrics can discuss change, the artist or song can have the word change in the title, etc. If you are still stuck after that go for anything that references seasons.
Musical tastes: I think I am leaning a bit more towards Rock/Pop/Rap/Metal at this moment in time, but I do have a pretty eclectic playlist in general. I’d avoid anything slow or soft.
Any other judging notes: If it’s overly familiar, there will be a penalty. Don’t submit Tupac - Changes or John Mayer - Waiting on the world to change. Try and keep it under 8 minutes.

Category host name: CanadaMatt3004
Category: Since my vulgar streak runs long, let’s go with “Song with the best uses of the word fuck.”
(Note: Further judging criteria anticipated.)

Category host name: Rivaldo
category a song with some cool bass guitar
nice and simple.
(Note: Further judging criteria anticipated…maybe)

3 Likes

Assuming there is room, i’ll dedicate my category to 45.

Category host name: Yuv
Category: Crime. A song about crime, criminals, police, law, etc.
Musical tastes: Learned my lesson - NO symphonic metal. No MRI machines. I will not be able to appreciate if the instruments are tuned in a specific way that is aligned with icelandic humpback whales.

4 Likes

@Yuv is in. I think I’ll leave it open for one more for now. Category deadline of tomorrow still in place. Suppose I should get my own arse in to gear on that.

Thanks for reminding me. I wanted to ask @cassette what that MRI band was. They were great and I’ve forgoten.

Horselords – Fanfare for Effective Freedom

or you can break a leg and hear it for free with a decent health insurance.

1 Like

I did have an MRI a few years back and at the time I described it to my wife as sounding like a few records I own.

(Autechre in particular, I’d say, music fans)

I’m going to have to reluctantly withdraw- just got too much work madness going on to deal with anything else at the moment
Will be railing and no doubt regretting my decision once underway

No Worries. I am minded to set a nice long period to do an entry (at least > a week) if that helps, but no pressure as we have a good amount of folk either way.

OK, I’m doing it. Probably madness, but I wanted to try and pick something that would get entries I like and this is a kind of song I’ve always liked.

Category host name: pyatnitski

Category: Long songs / pieces. Don’t mind how you interpret it. E.g. A long pop song might be 4 minutes, but that’s pretty short for a jazz workout. But, you people do you.

Musical tastes: Folk, jazz, instrumental rock, doom, noise, bleeps/bloops, ‘world’. I’ll give anything a listen once. I used to listen to loads of weirder indie stuff, but hardly ever do now. I love some classic rock/metal/pop, but am very ignorant about lots of that thanks to a youth spent as a music snob. I really hate popular indie rock, so probably best to avoid triggering me there.

Any other judging notes: I’d like to say no hard length limit and use your noggin, but someone (NBZ) will probably send me a four hour piece because they can. So, I will set the limit at 23m23s. You have been warned!

4 Likes

r.i.p.

3 Likes

Category host name: eyebooger
Category: Grab bag of a grab bag. Give me a song that fits any two of the following criteria (your choice):

• Has the majority of lyrics in a Romance language that isn’t Spanish
  • Was released in 2018 or later
  • Is from a group with at least 2 female members
  • Has a number in the title
  • Is between 3:50 and 4:10 in length

Musical tastes: Modern rock of just about any type and catchy pop, though I can appreciate just about all kinds except country.
Any other judging notes: Don’t really want anything super-familiar. I’ve judged two categories on here so far. One of them recently won the giant walrus bracket, and the other made the quarterfinals. So something that appeals to the masses will probably appeal to me.

5 Likes

I took me a while, but I think I think this is fine. Interesting, even.

Yup, Yuv got it. I’ve got a few of theirs on my reading/writing play list. The Common Task would be my recommended place to start. They have some good performances on youtube as well. :)

1 Like

2 Likes