Walrus 12: The Reveal!

Yeah I think it could be fun to be the collector so whoever hosts next can count on my if it’s needed. It would be neat to have all the songs and then see how someone ranks them.

2 Likes

This was me, you dirty pigeon.

No worries re category miss. I see the song as essentially something of a protest against capitalism and…well modern values I guess? I have plenty that are a lot more direct to choose from but I thought this song might be close to your wheelhouse.

3 Likes

Did lol at this

I did like it. Thanks for submitting it. I’m trying some of his other stuff as we speak.

1 Like

Glad to hear :slightly_smiling_face: I only found a few others of his that worked for me but of course YMMV.

Totally understand category miss though, I figured I was taking a risk.

Still shaking my fist at you though…

1 Like

In 7th place with 5 points - Boy Sets Fire - Altar of God (2013)

First listen: Is this Christian emo? Not awful all the way through.

Later: I looked up the lyrics and this is definitely not Christian emo. There’s a really cool section from about 3:30 to 4:30 and in general there’s some good guitar work in here. I like some sections of the vocals but for the most part this guy’s voice grates me.

This track had the biggest turn around from first to second listen. I had this in last place on first listen. It does that thing that annoys me a bit where the lyrics repeat some refrain or theme a few times, but they do so ironically, yet this isn’t clear unless you hear the song a bunch. So the opposite message comes across the first few times.

2 Likes

If mjiggy is editorialising I could be in trouble. Only thing that’s stopping me from walking it, I reckon.

1 Like

I also enjoyed this song.

I know and like this Radiohead song but never actually realized it was by them.

1 Like

From here on out are all songs I really liked. Tough break that the next couple didn’t podium.

1 Like

Not to worry, I only “tweaked” a “few” of your entries.

3 Likes

In 6th place with 6 points - Billy Bragg -There Is Power In A Union (1986)

First impression: Classic.

Later: Billy is a legend, and this is some evidence as to why. I heard him for the first time at a benefit show for some WTO protestors’ bail fund back in 1999 I think. I was an impressionable (fairly) young lad at the time, and he made an impression. This isn’t my favorite of his, and it is a bit familiar. Still, a great song. Nice pick.

Here’s a live version that’s pretty good. Starts around 2:30.

3 Likes

^ Me. Dead center of the pack so I can say “clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right”.

While this is a “pro” song, I also considered Bragg’s Rotting on Remand, which is more of an “anti” song about the sorry state of the criminal justice/penal system. Also it contains this jarring lyric:

I said, “There is no justice!”
As they led me out the door.
And the Judge said, “This isn’t a court of Justice, son.
This is a court of Law.”

4 Likes

In 5th place with 7 points - Rage Against the Machine – Testify (1999)

First impression: Yep.

Later: Hard to go wrong with almost any Rage track for this category. It’s a great video and a great song. Would work well as a protest song in a wide variety of contexts. I didn’t listen to this more than a couple times because it’s well ingrained in my head. So no points for boldness but def points for a kick ass song.

5 Likes

I specifically stayed away from Rage due to past submissions

Yeah I hear that and I appreciate you taking a shot at something newer. Still, if it bangs it bangs. No getting around that.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I wont behoove a Rage submission, was just pointing out the attempt at something newer

And just off the podium…

In 4th place with 8 points - Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young - Ohio (1971)

First impression: Damn, that opening lick.

Later: We’re playing the hits and this is certainly a contender. Not just a great protest song, but just all-round great. I’ve been on a Neil Young kick lately and this hit the spot.

7 Likes

We’ve got some real gems up next.

4 Likes

Also, please claim your songs.