Walrus 12: The Reveal!

:)

Let’s just call it my bad taste then. The crowd seems to like it more than me.

I’ve always been partial to very talky music, like Cake and Primus and such, so this has always been an itch scratcher. It’s funny and weird and I thought it fit the category perfectly.

I almost submitted another really talky song instead since it’s also weird and was a super odd random 90s hit.

3 Likes

In 8th place with 4 points . . . John Bender - 27B4 (1980)

We’re in the sub 2000 ‘tube views range again, so that’s pretty weird. Googling “John Bender” just leads to a lot of talk about the Breakfast Club, so no insight there. This is neat. The vocals are a little weak, but probably intentionally, so that’s a hard one, kinda weird. The minimalist electronics are neat-o. I wouldn’t race to hear more of this but would definitely try some.

2 Likes

This was a song i was hoping/expecting to see in my grab bag humor category. I think i even mentioned it specifically afterwards. KM are fun.

That’s me, about what I expected. I love him but I never quite know why.

(He was a dude from Cincinnati who self released three albums in the early 80s. Got a cult following eventually but no one could track him down till a label managed it about 5 years ago and put out a nice vinyl box set)

3 Likes

I was guessing either you or Swanky.

In 7th place with 5 points . . . David Geddes - Run Joey Run

First impression: Not very weird, but pleasant enough. Has a bit of a Rocky Horror vibe. I suppose the story is a bit unusual in that the typical love song is upended with a death of one the leads. Seems fine. Not weird, though.

Later: This one really grew on me. It was bouncing around my head when making breakfast this morning, so that seems good. The video also makes some unusual and interesting choices. This one is tough. I like the song. The music isn’t weird at all, but the lyrics and the theme are. So that’s seems like enough for proper category fit. I like it. Thanks.

3 Likes

That’s the only kudos I’m ever getting from this hatchetman

3 Likes

Very much enjoyed this one.

1 Like

That’s me. I guess the weirdness mostly comes from Julie’s silly baby-talk singing voice. And the choral sections maybe. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

The next 6 all moved around a lot between listens. A couple are incredible songs that aren’t very weird at all, making them tough to rank. Some are weird but familiar, and some are very weird and unfamiliar but not bangers. :man_shrugging:

In 6th place with 6 points . . . Mr. Bungle - Carousel

This was the toughest of the lot to rank. It’s certainly weird. I’ve tried to get into Mr. Bungle a few times, but they haven’t ever bridged the gap from weird to actually good, for me. Mike Patton’s Fantomas has always been more appealing. But I came around to this one. There are some pretty good weirdo circus vibes that mix nicely with the heavier elements, especially in the last minute and a half or so. Nice one.

3 Likes

Well played someone, I was trying to find the right Mike Patton thing to submit for a while.

You’re wrong, just fyi, go ahead and post mine now

2 Likes

In 5th place with 7 points . . . Björk - It’s Oh So Quiet

Fuck. This is good. I wish Big Band Bjork was more of a thing. She’s great and so’s this song. I think Dancer in the Dark was my introduction to Bjork at age 15 and she made an impression. The track isn’t really weird at all and it’s quite well-known, but it’s bad ass, so that makes up for a slight category miss.

1 Like

Bjork isn’t weird? Her entire discography is nothing but weirdness. I had trouble choosing which song to put in there.

Wierd Al aside I’m really enjoying these tracks so far

2 Likes

I’d say her discography is quite weird, but not this one, imo.

Meh I consider the idea of saying “Shhhhhhhhh” repetitively and transitioning into a big band breakout without warning before immediately going back to “Shhhhhhhhh” weird. Guess that’s me though.

Bjork was to weirdness what Oasis were to rock n roll.