Walrus 12: The Reveal!

That’s what my submission said, I think it’s true most of the time.

1 Like

I tend to agree. The Experience/Stones/Zep run them close sometimes but there’s an enormous inherent musicality to their playing.

Jal and pyat are going to hate this next one :rofl:

The bronze medal and 9 points goes to . . . Pendulum – The Tempest * (unknown date)

I normally hate stuff like this, but come on 1:30-2:00 is pretty fuckin’ good. The dance music-y bit in the final section makes an old man like me a little uncomfortable, but they do it well. I’m REALLY glad he didn’t start rapping at 5:45. I was worried there for a second. I’m not sure I’ll listen to much more of this, but this is cool and something different. I couldn’t find out much about the band from poking around online, but they must be pretty big given the crowd. This is surprisingly good.

2 Likes

The silver medal and 10 points goes to . . . Johnny Cash - San Quentin

Johnny at San Quentin is one of the great live performance stories. Can you imagine this happening today? It’s a shame the audio isn’t properly synched to the video, a minor flaw that makes the experience less than it might be. Still, a great track, great story, and great live performance. I imagine the Walrusees will be angry for ranking what might be an obvious pick so highly, but I don’t care. This is great.

3 Likes

Oops

3 Likes

Always a bridesmaid. i’ll take it. Did @Pauwl win again?

2 Likes

I actually picked that video instead of a better quality one because it included the opening scene where he kinda berates the guards. I can’t imagine a better audio version would have won so I won’t beat myself over that.

1 Like

The gold medal and 11 points goes to . . . Cat Power - Nude as the News

I love her and haven’t seen this before. A good combo. I see how someone might think the performance is a bit dull, but for me it’s a good match to the mood and the performer. Chan is notoriously shy and that comes across in an endearing way here. As mentioned, I’m also a sucker for talkshow performances. It’s a great environment for a live performance and that’s true here as well. Thanks for this. I hadn’t seen it before.

3 Likes

I need to go do some work. Please claim your song if you haven’t. Thanks for the submissions!

To be fair, Cat Power hasn’t ever been submitted by anyone as far as I know.

2 Likes

this would have been my 2nd choice, which should be up your alley too I think. quality is shit obv, but god i love this video

2 Likes

I’ve submitted that before :)

I’m so glad I saw that quote right before Cat Power, famous punk/metal/rap musician, got #1

1 Like

lucky for me then, but at least i was right that you like that.

I have a smashing 3rd option, but i’ll keep it for a future walrus.

She’s the punk rock Fiona Apple.

1 Like

Was tempted to submit the first band I ever saw live. No better guitarist than Wilko in my book

2 Likes