Unstuck Parenting Thread

Serious question. When are you going to introduce him to lifting? It’s something I think about with my own boy. Also would the answer be different for a girl? Right now I’m thinking ~12. But maybe sooner is better?

Is there any point to buying a real present for an infant that’s 3 months old? The parents are well off, and they got tons of stuff at the baby shower and I assume the baby will grow out any clothes very soon…

You could always get some 6 month clothes. Onesies with a zipper. No buttons.

Double zip sleepers are elite. Buttons are for chumps.

Thanks! This is probably what I’ll do.

1 Like

Do three year olds ever sleep?

Yeah that started about 4 months ago for us. It’s brutal. Every fucking night.

lol sleep :((

Do you have a solid pre sleep routine? We struggled until we set strict solid bedtime routines. Kid starts winding down gets some milk at same time then it’s a bath/shower, read books, pajamas lights out. Same time every night and she sleeps all night and falls asleep usually within 5 minutes.

Oh yeah, absolutely. She’s just not having it. She was fine going to bed with no problems, until she wasn’t.

Man, I just thought about that old thread on 2+2 where we posted about the birth of our kids and the OP kept a list of birthdays. I posted there when both my kids were born.

They recently turned 15 and 13.

1 Like

What is she doing instead of sleeping? My 3yo went through a phase where he was just wanting attention/to put off the end of the day, and he would yell and scream and cry, and when you went in to ask him what was wrong, he would ask “What do you want to do tomorrow?” (his best small-talk gambit, as far as I can tell). I didn’t quite have the heart to let him fully cry it out, so I would check in at increasing intervals (15min, 30 mins, an hour, etc) to tell him that it wasn’t time to talk and that he should go to sleep. Eventually he stopped. I think the key is not to listen to the crying/screaming. Mute the baby monitor, go to a different floor, whatever. Your daughter needs to figure out how to go to sleep, and if you’re doing the right stuff to support her, you’ve done your part and you don’t need to subject yourself to the ugly screaming part out of solidarity.

1 Like

No

Neither do 4, 5, 6, or 7 year olds.

Then they wake up at 4 from like 8 to 12.

Then they sleep until noon regardless of how important it is for them to wake up early from 13-18, and you have to douse them in ice water just to get them to stir a little bit.

Enjoy the next 15 years!

2 Likes

How old does having older kids make you feel?

Im still (relatively) young at 38, but ive got a 19 and 13 year old and mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn do I feel old.

wtf dude im 38 and i have a 2 month old girl i think im way immature to handle. I wouldnt let 19 year old me parent an instant ramen, let alone a living creature

1 Like

Mentally, I still feel young. dlk9s jr and I just won a Fortnite duos game last night. Still love video games, superhero movies, and silly shit. Physically, I feel old, but that’s just because I’m 45 now. I have a mystery knee ailment, for example. What having teenagers has done to me is made me think about my mortality. That and the fact that my parents are old and that realistically, just doing the math, they don’t have more than, say 15 years left. Tops.

Though speaking of that, my dad was funny the other day. He got a new computer because his was old and slow. He told me, “I’m sitting there waiting for like 30 minutes just to check my e-mail and I realized I don’t have that much longer left, I can’t be wasting so much time for e-mail.”

3 Likes

Youre telling me, man.

Didnt realize we were the same age. We should hit up Stones sometime

5 months old now. Every day is great.

6 Likes

Grats buddy

My son’s Bar Mitzvah was last weekend and I started getting choked up during my speech a couple times. Fortunately, I had jokes at just the right spots to break up the feels so I don’t think anyone noticed.

2 Likes