Ukraine Invasion 2: no more Black Sea fleet for you

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1514556071435640837?s=20&t=-h5QZokYgQFsp-z6BPzLQg

110 km. Would have been within range of either Neptune or Harpoon missiles.

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1514625359014150147?t=qUtMlJlhDc6KiKjnXEYpcQ&s=19

Maybe? One thing we’ve learned for sure in this whole mess is that Russian military capabilities are vastly overstated, so it’s not ridiculous to think that some number of their nukes wouldn’t actually hit the targets we thought they could right now, but they would have a better shot when closer. Of course, by the time this is relevant, it’s already all over.

1 Like

Going to assume you never had any college friends studying visual arts who went through their font phase.

One missile can absolutely sink a warship. The UK destroyer sunk by Argentina was smaller than the Moskva, but not a lot smaller.

Yeah, it likes nose candy.

a naval sinking like that don’t happen often, and this is a warship supposed to take damage. Landing ship Saratov in Berdyansk, a much smaller ship, crew sunk in at the dock to flood the explosives it carried.

even missiles hits don’t occur often, like what’s your estimate on missiles hitting ships since ww2? maybe between 100-1000? but how many sunken ships of comparable size? almost none, right/

ETA: the sunken ship is Saratov, not Admiral Essen

haven’t seen this anywhere. allegedly Forbes is reporting USA MAY send Reaper drones to UA.

russia’s toast.

1 Like

if they send those drones, good chance they may be piloted by USAF personnel in NV

1 Like

Surely it would be less problematic to just train Ukrainians to fly them.

My estimate is less than 30 warships over 1000 tons have been hit by missiles in combat. (Moskva is 12,000 tons). I found an Israeli destroyer and a Pakistani Frigate that were sunk. Some ships survived hits, but I’m just saying it’s possible. Largest ship was HMS Sheffield at 4,500 tons, which sank under tow.

Modern warships aren’t actually designed to take a lot of damage. Large WWII ships had armor, but modern ones don’t. Saving the ship is mostly down to the typically large crew performing damage control.

1 Like

Lithuanian Defence Minister Arvydas Anusauskas told reporters Thursday that Medvedev’s threat was confusing because Russia already has nuclear weapons in the Baltic region, according to Reuters.

“The current Russian threats look quite strange, when we know that, even without the present security situation, they keep the weapon 100 km from Lithuania’s border,” the minister said, as per Reuters.

“Nuclear weapons have always been kept in Kaliningrad … the international community, the countries in the region, are perfectly aware of this … They use it as a threat,” he added.

Seems like a pretty empty threat

1 Like

right, i’m saying it is very unlikely, even with a direct hit.

fwiw, the Turkish rescue effort has now been denied by turkey. it was originally released via another country’s official, citing official channels in turkey, but turkey itself didn’t say anything.

major equipment losses and costs according to forbes

Unsure how it applies to today, but in WW2 one of the key reasons for US victory was how they stored munitions and could seal fires off through removing all oxygen to the part of the ship affected by it. Japanese planes hit American aircraft carriers with far more torpedoes and often even after hitting one with 5 or more bombs with direct hits the carrier was back in operation after some quick repairs while one strike on a Japanese aircraft carrier was often enough to sink it as they stored their munitions on deck and couldn’t control fires.

2 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/04/13/russias-war-ukraine-founders-ominous-rhetoric-gains-ground/

The threat of Nazism is one of the Kremlin’s most brazen themes. Last week, RIA Novosti ran a prominent opinion piece by pundit Timofei Sergeitsev, an outspoken supporter of Putin, that urged the liquidation of the entire Ukrainian elite, the division of the country, destruction of its sovereignty and even the abolition of its name.
“Denazification will inevitably be de-Ukrainization,” Sergeitsev wrote, requiring years of ideological repression and severe censorship in political, cultural and educational fields. Ordinary Ukrainians were complicit and must suffer the “inevitable hardships of a just war” before total submission to Russian power “as a historical lesson and atonement for their guilt.”

Yet Finkel fears that a Russian victory would not only destroy Ukraine but upend the post-World War II global order.
“That’s something I have been thinking about a lot. I think it will be a pretty scary world,” he said. “For Russia, it’s a test of the idea that might makes right — and we have the power, so we can do whatever we want.”

Nah just VPN that ****.

2 Likes

Some of the Japanese carriers had wooden decks. A fire on a ship is a big deal. They stopped using aluminum for the superstructure of warships because it melted in fires. At my aerospace job, they showed us safety videos of the fire on the US carrier Forrestal (John McCain was on the deck that day). A US carrier in port in San Diego caught fire just last year; I think that was arson. Even the one time I went on a cruise they made a big production out of the fire drill.

2 Likes

Your pony is being de-Nazified as we speak!