Ukraine Invasion 2: no more Black Sea fleet for you

Meh, any rumors of internal coup plotting have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Ya, there’s probably a lot of preliminary plotting knowing that the Russian economy is in complete collapse and soon their military will be run out of Ukraine, but its all noise right now and impossible to tell what’s real and what’s not. I don’t think anything will happen in the next couple weeks, but a month to 3 months? Sure.

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1577715622561157140?t=nvTtOoM4enOe8vBt-vDotA&s=19
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1577716491486728204?t=05rYW62gOrz-QhMu9Lm6aA&s=19

This would seem to bode well for continued Ukrainian support even if the GOP takes the senate.

Looks like Czech Republic is getting involved in its soon-to-be officially annexed territory, Královec (formerly known as Kaliningrad)

This project is essential to making Královec livable by Czech standards.

4 Likes

oof, better hope putin doesn’t blow it up

1 Like

Poland would be okay with that I’m sure

https://twitter.com/JamesGleick/status/1578094729543155715?s=20&t=udgUKJNCXmuA-wmjqDIDmg

LOL going across the bering sea in a boat of that size at this time of year is legit nuts, to the point I’d rather take my chances with the russian military.

1 Like

Let’s send the gopniks to Tallahassee,
'Cause they know how to keep it classy.
It’ll be the track suit era
On the Redneck Riviera
And all will drink vodka till eyes glassy.

5 Likes

i am seeing a lot of “Make Kaliningrad Czech Again” hats on twitter. probably the right time to make those jokes while putin’s army is drinking itself to death before being deployed

The meme is all over Czech subreddits

3 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1578134390588194819

2 Likes

I don’t get this. Do Czechs think Kant was Czech? I always thought of the region as either German or Polish.

czech’s founded it. no idea about contiguity of territory

1 Like

russians starting to be conditioned for crimea surrender

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1578107479342206976

ETA actually he says “if the enemy makes it into crimea temporarily”, rather than surrendering

After its founding, it was later under German, Polish, Prussian, Russian, German (again), Soviet, Russian (again), and then Czech control (again).

2 Likes

I guess about the only thing it hasn’t been historically is Russian. That said, its ties with Germany are very strong. Wonder how Russia was able to hang onto it during German reunification and/or from Poland departing the USSR.

Königsberg (German: [ˈkøːnɪçsbɛʁk] (listen), lit. ‘King’s mountain’) was the historic Prussian city that is now Kaliningrad, Russia. Königsberg was founded in 1255 on the site of the ancient Old Prussian settlement Twangste by the Teutonic Knights during the Northern Crusades, and was named in honour of King Ottokar II of Bohemia.[1] A Baltic port city, it successively became the capital of the Królewiec Voivodeship, the State of the Teutonic Order, the Duchy of Prussia and the provinces of East Prussia and Prussia. Königsberg remained the coronation city of the Prussian monarchy, though the capital was moved to Berlin in 1701.

Between the thirteenth and the twentieth centuries, the inhabitants spoke predominantly German, but the multicultural city also had a profound influence upon the Lithuanian and Polish cultures.[2] The city was a publishing center of Lutheran literature, including the first Polish translation of the New Testament, printed in the city in 1551, the first book in Lithuanian and the first Lutheran catechism, both printed in Königsberg in 1547. A university city, home of the Albertina University (founded in 1544), Königsberg developed into an important German intellectual and cultural center, being the residence of Simon Dach, Immanuel Kant, Käthe Kollwitz, E. T. A. Hoffmann, David Hilbert, Agnes Miegel, Hannah Arendt, Michael Wieck and others.

Königsberg was the easternmost large city in Germany until World War II. Between the wars it was in the exclave of East Prussia, separated from Germany by Poland. The city was heavily damaged by Allied bombing in 1944 and during the Battle of Königsberg in 1945, when it was occupied by the Soviet Union.

But see Kaliningrad question - Wikipedia

In Germany, the status of Kaliningrad (Königsberg) and the rights of expellees was a mainstream political issue until the 1960s, when the shifting political discourse increasingly associated similar views with right-wing revisionism.[8]

A fringe position also considers the return of the province to Germany from the Russian Federation, or its independence from both.[4][5] The former question is mostly hypothetical, as the German government has stated that it has no claim to it and has formally renounced in international law any right to any lands east of the Oder by ratifying the Treaty on the Final Settlement with Respect to Germany.

In 1994, the former Lithuanian head of state Vytautas Landsbergis called for the separation and “decolonization” of Kaliningrad from Russia.[30] In December 1997, the Lithuanian parliament member Romualdas Ozolas expressed his view that Kaliningrad should become an independent republic.[31]

After the annexation of Crimea in 2014, the political analyst Laurynas Kasčiūnas called for a revisiting of the Potsdam Agreement.[32] He claims that residents of Kaliningrad would support a referendum to separate from Russia.[32] The notion of a Lithuanian claim has been brushed off by Russian media, even the liberal Novaya Gazeta newspaper dismissing it as a “geopolitical fantasy”.[33]

FPS video probably not wholesome enough to be reposted on twitter. ukrainian special ops wasting a russian hiding in a bathroom.

I have an idea

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1577712004667789312?t=HGTelDQRAiVqUzXDNDYjBg&s=19

Cause Russia and life in Russia sucks?

BTW, one of the things that will eventually come to a head with the war in Ukraine is Russia shipping hundreds of thousands or more Ukrainians, many children, to Russia. This is genocide, and there will be no end to the war without Russia being forced to repatriate the people it has stolen.

It doesn’t receive the attention it deserves because of the action on the battlefield, but Russia will have to account.