Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

The situation is this: I booked through Delta but the flight is on ITA Airways, which is what replaced Alitalia. No good reason to have booked through Delta, that’s on me. And ITA seems to have the same customer service issues that Alitalia did. So that’s also on me, but it’s the only direct flight from LA to Rome so I stand by that choice. The class of ticket I booked with Delta includes seat selection, but on ITA it does not. Because it’s a codeshare, neither of them can or will help me and they blame each other. If I’d booked direct with ITA I’d be able to pay to choose seats now, but I didn’t. I’ve called Delta and ITA a bunch of times. I have found many others on the internet who have experienced the same thing. Some have been able to select seats online 48 hours before the flight, some 24 hours prior, and one who couldn’t get seats assigned until the airport. It worked out for everybody.

I’ve had to do a fair amount of stepwork on it.

1 Like

I’ve rolled with no seat assignment when I go to pick a seat and the options are either to pick a middle seat way in the back, or pay for one of many open economy plus seats there. Decent chance you end up with a free economy plus upgrade when some other paranoid person takes the remaining middle seat, because they’re going to have to put you somewhere.

Yeah I’m completely fine with it for domestic flights. Especially traveling without kids.

Yeah, I’d be much more paranoid on an international flight with family.

lol hey thanks guys :slight_smile:

My kids are 17 and 13. I am figuring that in the worst case they split us up 2-and-2, which would be fine. Everybody’s just going to have their heads buried in screens anyway.

1 Like

At 17 and 13, as long as you all get on the plane it’s NBD really. I had to sit alone on occasion at ~13 and I did fine.

1 Like

And just look at how he turned out!

5 Likes

The good old days

I have had it with these motherfucking smokes on this motherfucking plane!

2 Likes

Pretty excited about my first multiday hiking trip over in the US now (I arrive Tuesday week and trip departs two days later). I got an email from the guide saying that there are only 6 of us in total (including him presumably) which suits me, I think that makes for a tight-knit trip. Also:

Please note that we had an extremely high snow year this winter and spring and we will be facing tough conditions with snow underfoot.

Hell yeah. Bring it on.

3 Likes

Turks and Caicos Trip Report:

We went Monday - Monday which was the perfect amount of time for us.

Monday: Flew AA from Indy → Charlotte (1.5 hours) → T&C (2.5 hours). We paid $75 a piece for a program called Fasttrack that basically gave us an expedited lane through customs. What probably would have taken an hour+ in a crowded airport took 5 minutes. Definitely worth it.

We rented a jeep from Island Life Jeeps that made the trip even better. I usually make fun of jeep life people, but it honestly elevated the trip from great to excellent. We had a 2004 yellow Jeep Wrangler that was in immaculate condition. Riding around with the top down on the Jeep made every trip enjoyable. It was only ~$400 more than renting a Toyota Yaris. Worth every penny. The owner Russ and his wife met us at the airport to deliver the keys. 10/10 would recommend.

We chose to go with an Airbnb instead of a resort for a couple reasons: 1. Didn’t want to just stay in the resort area for 7 days. 2. Privacy. 3. Private pool. 4. Cheaper by 3x.
It was a short drive or a long walk away to Grace Bay and came with chairs, a cooler, and umbrella. Place was brand new and in an up and coming residential / rental area. I would vote choosing an airbnb over one of the resorts every time. Plus night swimming naked with your SO every night leads to an excellent time.

We ended up at a place called Pelican Bay that had happy hour every night from 5-7. Good cheap (relative) drinks and appetizers.

Tuesday: Low key day hanging around Grace Bay beach. It’s pretty, but had too many people for my liking. There are better beaches on the Island that I will get to. Found a sushi place at one of the hotels along the beach that was pretty good. Went to the grocery store and spent way too much money on groceries for the week. My wife had grad school that night so I grabbed a whole fish to grill.

Wednesday: Booked a kayak mangrove tour through The Looking Glass. I think it was 2 hours for like $150 total for a clear bottom kayak tour through the protected mangroves of T&C. IT was really beautiful and you can tell the amount of time and money spent to keep the mangroves clean and protected. Our guide was cool and taught us a lot about the local ecosystem. There were tons of sea turtles, conch, and sharks in the area. The conch is one of the most populous shellfish of T&C and we had it many different ways (ceviche, fried whole, hush puppies). They were everywhere. Dinner at Coco Bistro. Food was mediocre for the price, but the atmosphere was great. Outside only spot surrounded by coconut trees.

Thursday: Woke up and drove to Smiths Reef for snorkeling. You could swim from the beach to giant reef system. We were able to see a ton of beautiful fish, swam with sea turtles, a giant 10 ft long stingray, and a variety of beautiful reefs. This was one of the best parts of the trip for me. There were probably 4-5 other people in the area. Felt private. After we drove to Hideaway Grill and had jerk chicken from some wonderful old lady in a hut. Incredible. After lunch we hit up Turks Head Brewery. We were the only tourists in here which felt cool. The locals were pounding the one stout they had on tap which was low key delicious and beat every expectation I had. They had 10 beers on tap and good vibes. Dinner at Cocovan. This was probably the best food we had on the trip. We originally had another fine dining place booked, but cancelled it, because I don’t think any high end place on the island is worth the price. The cocktails and tacos here we elite.

Friday: Best day of the trip and one of the coolest days of my life. We rented a half day jet ski tour with [https://fivecayswatersports.com](https://Five Cays Water Sports) It was just my wife and I and our tour guide. We rode all around the island seeing various sights. 1st was a cargo ship that abandoned during the hurricane years ago. It was a 20 minute ride through the most beautiful water you can imagine. I ended up climbing it and exploring a bit before jumping off. Next we rode to a tiki bar that they built during covid in the middle of the ocean. Had shots of rum and a beer before heading to see some other sights like Princes house and other beaches. I can’t describe how beautiful and fun this was. I’ll never forget it. We stopped at a place called Iguana Island that had thousands of iguanas that were once endangered, but they saved them by relocation them to various uninhibited islands. Had a couple beers, a sandwich, and walked around exploring the habitat of these god damn dinosaurs. Seriously - this was amazing. We had dinner at Omas Beach Hut since it was right by the drop off point.

Saturday: Loaded up the cooler and drove to Taylor Bay Beach. This was the best beach on the island. No vendors, very few people, turquoise blue shallow water as far as you can see, and a few wild dogs that loved to hang out.

Sunday: Went and checked out one of the other national parks on the island called The Chalk Sound. I know I said this numerous times but the water color here was something I had no idea existed on this planet. Unbelievable. Back to Taylor Bay Beach to relax.

Monday: Our flight wasn’t until 4 so we went to Da Conch Shack and had Rum Punch and lunch. Wasted a few hours on the beach here before closing out the trip.

If I had to compare this trip to anything it would be the feeling you get when you watch a movie that ends with a guy living his best life traveling around an island and you think, “I want to go there and do that”. It was exactly that. The island is fucking expensive, but the people were great. It’s a beautiful country that I am incredibly grateful to have experienced. Happy to answer any questions.

11 Likes

4 Likes

Rentals / Second homes.

Grace Bay Beach is where all the major resorts and main tourist strip is. It is a really good home base because it’s in the middle of the island and has everything you need nearby. If you wanted even more seclusion you could find a rental near Taylor Bay, but there isn’t anything around it.

1 Like

I was kind of thinking the Asian side of Istanbul was gonna suck compared to the European side. If you’re into history and better tourist infrastructure, then yeah the European side probably wins out.

But the Asian side has a different vibe to it. To me, it’s a bit more relaxed and doesn’t have the aggressive touts and massive hotels that permeate the Euro side. It has quite an active nightlife while being less infested by ultra-aggressive drivers. Things tend to be a bit cheaper though the aesthetics are less pleasing to the typical western eye.

Shockingly, the Asian side seems a lot more walkable when I expected the complete opposite. I think it’s because most tourists stay on the European side and rarely make the jump to the other side of the city.

I’m not crazy about nightlife in general but I’d argue that the Asian side does it better for cheaper.

I’ll cap off the night at Camlica Tower before heading back. Tomorrow I’m going to one of the islands and that’ll be the end of Istanbul for me.

Wife and I have no interest in flying anywhere right now, so we’re planning on driving to Prince Edward Island next month.

If anyone has any recommendations, would love to hear them.

2 Likes

Just got back from there, you’ll love it. Not sure that I have much in the way of recommendations, though, we rented a quiet VRBO and mostly just relaxed a lot.

Do you know whereabouts you’re staying? What are you hoping to do?

Booked some hotel just outside downtown Charlottetown.

Not exactly sure. Just wanted to go someplace we hadn’t been before. So far plan it to look at lighthouses and eat seafood.

Lol, you won’t hurt for either. Everyone I know who’s been there says the Water Prince Corner Shop has the best seafood in Charlottetown. We went to Brit’s Fish and Chips this trip, enjoyed it but was quite expensive.

The only lighthouses I’ve visited are on the west side of the island, but they’re all really nice. This is the one at North Cape, the one at West Point is better.

One thing I really enjoyed this trip was breakfast at the PEI Preserve Company. They have a great selection of jams (obv) and an amazing garden you can walk through as well.

And of course, you need to visit Cows for ice cream.

4 Likes

My best advice for the Maritimes is to try to engage with the locals. They’re exceptionally friendly to visitors.

1 Like