Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Holy fucking shit accom is expensive in Jackson, WY. God fucking damn.

Edit: Like 350 bucks for a fucking Super 8 on a Monday night, good God.

LOL thatā€™s nuts.

To be fair I could also get a bunk bed in a dormitory, which would be a mere $175.

Man I am kind of stunned at how little there is available already in a bunch of places and how much accommodation costs.

@Nozetradamus Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m going to fly to New Orleans on Saturday 13th August. Let me know what area is good to stay in and any other recommendations you have.

Are you checking Airbnb?

Yeah. A couple of times Iā€™ve been like ā€œoh $300, thatā€™s not too bad, what kind of airbnb is thisā€ and the answer is ā€œyou can stay in my RV for a night for $300ā€.

You might look into a $40 Target tent and a campground. The campground will either have a shower or you can find one nearby.

Is there some event going on there is it just always that expensive?

Yeah, all options are under active consideration. I have money to pay however much if really needed, but I like camping so I might pick up a tent and see what I can do.

I think itā€™s school holidays in the area or something. Itā€™s not just there though. Like one place I was considering staying was Stanley, Idaho. Not the most in-demand location, you would think. I checked for Friday, 29th July. Thereā€™s nothing. Like actually nothing. No hotels. No airbnbs. Couple campgrounds I checked are booked out. A guy is willing to rent me his car-top tent for a night for $90. Post-covid travel fever, maybe?

idk if itā€™s always $300+ a night for a hotel, but Jackson is a playground for billionaires and notoriously expensive.

1 Like

Airbnb has changed their business model quite a bit. The days of the target demographic being independent hosts renting out their spare room to guests on a budget are over. Now they seem to be pushing more ā€œuniqueā€ housing experiences based on how they designed their home page and organize the short-term rentals.

Iā€™m always sure to check a few pages of whatā€™s available so I donā€™t get handed some overpriced bullshit that Airbnb is now trying to push. You really have to read descriptions carefully to make sure youā€™re getting what you expect.

@ChrisV do you have a VRBO account too? Might get some STRs there that arenā€™t on Airbnb.

I would recommend staying on canal street downtown, you can walk to the quarter and you also have the streetcar right there for an easy trip uptown.

2 Likes

Area you want to stay in depends on what you want. You want debauchery? Stay in the quarter. Want old southern experience? Stay in uptown. Want the hipster experience? Stay in the Bywater.

pvnā€™s suggestion of staying on Canal in one of the big hotels there is a good one for the reason he states. It wonā€™t be very unique stay there though.

Restaurants Iā€™d go to if I went back to NOLA (lived there for four years). Although I havenā€™t been there since 2017 so YMMV:

1. Commanders Palace - Expensive af but unique and great
  2. Atchafalaya - love this place. I think itā€™s gotten fancier nowadays but I used to walk to this place for brunch all the time. Great dinner too.
  3. Jacques-imos - some of the most unique Nola food out there. Get the shrimp and alligator cheesecake. Didnā€™t do reservations when I was there
  4. Elizabethā€™s - loved this place for brunch
  5. Shaya - everyone loved this place, but not NOLA food at all
  6. Hansenā€™s Sno-Bliz - sugar, ice, flavoring. Line out the door all the time. So good.

I didnā€™t do bars in the quarter or Bywater ever, as I lived in the Irish Channel and could walk to a ton of places.

1. Bulldog - dogs and beer, whatā€™s not to love?
  2. NOLA brewery - used to do free beer from 2pm-3pm every Friday. Doubt they do that anymore
  3. Rendezvous - shit bar, fun bar
  4. Snake and Jakeā€™s - awful bar honestly
1 Like

Anybody have any power adapter recommendations? Will need to charge US devices in Italy and Switzerland. Prefer small/compact, will be getting one for each family member.

These arenā€™t super compact, but Iā€™ve used them for over a decade all around the world with no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MGUB9Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Shoot, sorry, just noticed the ā€œCurrently Unavailableā€ but there seems to be a number of very similar options.

Doing 2 weeks in South Africa later this (North American) summer. Rough itinerary is:

• 4 nights Cape Town (this includes 1 or 2 days allocated to Cape Peninsula)
  • 3 open days (thinking either winelands or drive out Eastward on the coast towards Hermanus, etc.). Probably would not do the whole Garden Route.
  • Fly CPT - Kruger
  • 1 night to do Panorama Route
  • 5 nights Kruger (2 night in the park, 3 nights at a private Lodge).

Any recs welcome, particularly around the 3 open days and places to stay in Cape Town. I currently have a hotel at the V&A on points, but considering switching to an AirBNB more in the city center area. Seem to be some pretty sweet modern condos for like $50-60/night.

Also fancy myself a decent amateur photographer, so any tips welcome on times of day for certain locations, or great photo locations in Cape Town and Winelands. (In Kruger I assume the animals determine the good photo locations). Just donā€™t tell Ms. JordanIB that Iā€™m planning to do certain sights at certain times for the right lighting LOL.

1 Like

Do you need to convert voltage? Thatā€™s going to be big no matter what. But if all youā€™re charging is USB devices then skip the adapter and get a basic charger with Euro plugs. Probably cost $5 each.

@Ikioi , do teppanyaki joints (beni hana) actually exist in Japan or are they strictly an American invention?

My daughter turned 10 yesterday and thatā€™s what she wanted for dinner and this question popped up on my head.

They do, although without the flashy performance aspect a la Benihana. Never been to one here though myself.

Fun fact: the person who created Benihana is the father of EDM DJ Steve Aoki.

Whatā€™s the draw if the chef isnā€™t flipping shrimp into your mouth?