Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

As for past trips, I’ve had four major international trips as an adult and loved each one for different reasons:

Eurotrip:

• Dubrovnik
  • Athens
  • Santorini
  • Istanbul
  • Vienna
  • Rome
  • Palermo
  • Barcelona

Japan (best trip I’ve had, probably due to the friends I was with):

• Tokyo
  • Kyoto
  • Osaka

Thailand:

• Bangkok
  • Chiang Mai
  • Siem Reap / Angkor Wat
  • Krabi

Australia, a solo trip:

• Melbourne
  • Hobart
  • Sydney
  • Cairns
  • Port Douglas

On the last trip I started a travel diary (that sadly died out halfway through the trip), but now that I’m ~18 months past the trip it’s been really cool reading my thoughts during the first half of the trip. It seems like a great way to relive the trip and I’m going to try to make it a regular thing going forward.

1 Like

Looks like a solid itinerary, Paris and Barcelona are prob my 2 fave cities in the world. Train from Nice to Madrid seems like it’d be a pain though. Likely 12 hours travel time and 3 transfers.

If it were me, I’d do the France leg, then grab a cheap flight from Nice, Marseille, or Montpellier to Sevilla and then train it thru to Barcelona.

TBD at this point. Sounds like an UP meetup may be possible.

1 Like

Turkey is awesome. Istanbul is an amazing food city (and an amazing city in general) and going to all-inclusive resorts on the coast of turkey were my favorite vacations as a teenager

And politics aside, I do think Israel is an interesting place to visit. Egypt and Jordan too.

1 Like

If you’re flying into Malaga(?) I’d spend a night there to unwind after your fligh and walk around the backstreets, and if you have time the Picasso museum is really good (he was a local).

Seville is a must out of the July/August furnace -there’s just so much colourful life and so many bars and places to eat, you’ll fill your boots there. Two nights.

Barcelona should also be on your list - it’s a great city which suffered in pre-covid times from overexposure that caused a lot of resentment of tourists among the locals. That may have changed now, I don’t know, but architecturally and culturally it’s wonderful.

You shouldn’t miss Grenada and the Alhambra which is breath-taking - you’ll need to book well in advance. That’s another night.

The Basque region is underrated and wonderful but it’s a long time since I was there. San Sebastien is the place to go if I remember (we approached from France via the Pyrenees which was a stunning trip - my dad was adventurous lol).

On that subject, you didn’t say if you’re doing any driving - I’d tactfully suggest to an American not to drive in most European countries especially Portugal/Spain/Italy because I know from experience there are a lot of completely beserk motorway drivers there up your backside at 80mph lights flashing and horns honking when you have a steady stream of cars on your inside lol.

From the North West you can somehow work your way into France and then to Italy.

So skip Bordeaux and also Nice (we were there a only a few years ago - people only rate it because it’s on the Riviera, which itself is overrated and a rip-off for millionaires to pose on their yachts). I’ve heard good things about Lyon (though I’ve never been) and it will give you a taste of central France, and from there to Paris which you really have to do.

Paris is a tiny city by most US city (and London) standards, and you can easily stroll across the centre in an afternoon, so no excuses about not liking crowds lol. @pyatnitski needs to chip in here but my experiences there say definitely skip the Louvre (that really is horribly crowed) but take in Musee D’Orsay if you want a good gallery. Take the metro to the Arab Quarter, Sacre Coeur (great views across the city) and walk through the beautiful streets of Montmartre where Picasso, Apollinaire and Modigliani lived, worked and starved. Eat cheap but delicious merguez and couscous there and soak up the atmosphere.

Most of central Paris I found quite samey after the first couple of times there (central town planning ftl) and probably won’t ever go again. But you must go once.

From Paris you can fly into Florence for a stay and take in other cities but I’d skip Naples. The city’s seen much better days and really only has the stairs that are memorable unless you want to go to Vesuvius and Pompeii (you’d probably have to book well in advance for that too).

If you want the high life then the Amalfi coast will give you plenty (much sooner there than the French Riviera) a taste of it, though I’ve never been.

Special mention also to Sardinia and especially Southern Corsica for peaceful chilling out breaks, my favourite place in the Med. - a stunningly unspoilt haven with bay after bay of soft sand and turquoise sea.

2 Likes

The Louvre can be absolutely incredible, but depends on the crowds.

I’ve been twice.

Once in a large tour group w/one of my French language classes. It was pretty crowded and an ok experience. The Mona Lisa is in a separate room by itself, and that room was packed with people wanting to take a pic. The painting itself is quite small and a bit disappointing.

The second time, I went by myself in November I think. There was one day a week when it was open in evenings (a Wednesday I think). The French are extremely structured and usually eat lunch between N-2 and dinner between 7-9, so I went to the Louvre at 7:30 and it was almost completely empty. I could walk straight up to the Mona Lisa, almost no crowds. That was an incredible experience.

So my advice would be to check the schedule and if they still do the thing where it’s open late one night a week, definitely go during that night.

Edit: Just checked and it appears it’s open until 9:45PM on Wednesdays and Fridays. Highly advise to go Wed. at 7PM if you want to maximize the experience.

I don’t think I’ve participated in any of the previous UP travel threads, but I’ll try to pop my head up here sometimes.

I’ve been to 50-60 countries (depends what you count as a country), but only have extensive travel knowledge on Mexico, parts of the Caribbean, and the Balkans (maybe the most underrated part of the world for travel).

If you’re planning a trip to Mexico beyond CDMX let me know. I’ve studied the hell out of the place and have a list a mile long for most parts of the country. I’ve spent a lot of time in CDMX too, but you pretty much can’t go wrong there.

My scheduled trips are:

1. Wisconsin/Minnesota next week (family trip, but also some sightseeing w my sister)
  2. Georgia coast in July (plus camping on Cumberland island)
  3. Central Mexico in September with friends (CDMX + Queretaro state)
5 Likes

Major trips I’ve done as an adult:

• Madrid as a college freshman on a concert band trip. Had fun, but certainly didn’t appreciate it at the time.
  • London over a summer for a college project. Still probably too young to properly experience it.
  • Copenhagen for 2 months for a consulting job. Then brought my new girlfriend (now wife) over for 2 weeks. Lovely city, still might be my favorite.
  • Belgium for a work conference. Didn’t get much out of Brussels, but the smaller cities around there were really great.
  • Iceland with my girlfriend in 2009 after their economy went in the shitter. We were looking at places to go, and I had been concerned about how expensive it was. Then, within two days, flights to there were cut by more than half and everything else was cheaper too. We said “if not know, when?”. Spent a week and a half driving the Ring Road. Reykjavik was fine, but nothing super special. Then hopped over to Greenland for a couple of days for something unique.
  • Netherlands to visit my sister who was studying over there. Then we went to Romania. It was January and the Netherlands was windy as hell. The castles in Transylvania look really nice with snow.
  • Peru on our honeymoon. Went to Machu Picchu (her favorite), the Amazon rain forest near the Bolivian border (my favorite) and Lima.
  • Lithuania and Latvia by myself. Wife had no time off and didn’t want me going anywhere “cool”. Jokes on her. Vilnius is a lovely city. I didn’t get a Soviet vibe at all. Riga was not quite as nice, but still fun. Liked my day trip to Ventspils quite a bit.
  • Puerto Rico with my roommates/wives. Didn’t do a whole lot of crazy stuff. Relaxed a lot and ate some outstanding food.
  • Prague with my wife. Another great city. Side trips to Kutna Hora and Karlstejn were probably the highlights though.
  • Back to Spain, this time with my wife. Stuck to the smaller cities of Segovia, Burgos and Avila. Food and wine were amazing.
  • Costa Rica with my dad. Not the normal beach stuff though; we hiked up the highest mountain in the country. Then spent a few days in San Jose.
  • Hawaii with roommates/wives. That place is like a postcard everywhere.
  • Wanted to do a 10th anniversary trip with my wife to Argentina. Our anniversary was in June 2020. I said “Eh, we’ll still be together then. The weather will be better in late February. Let’s go early.” Pretty good timing on my part. Went to Buenos Aires, then across the river to Montevideo, then to Tierra del Fuego. All were lovely. Montevideo is a really cool, laid back city. Highlight of the trip though was visiting Martillo Island off of Tierra del Fuego. It’s full of penguins!

What I’d like to do this decade:

• Oaxaca for culture, mole, and mezcal
  • Rome because it’s Rome
  • Guatemala for Mayan ruins
  • Somewhere in Asia because I’ve never been
  • Somewhere weird that people wouldn’t think to go
7 Likes

I mean to say…on no account give in to the temptation to bring wine that you loved in Spain back home with you - it will be undrinkable.

Interesting to hear the negativity about Helsinki, because I had pretty much the same experience. We did a two-week cruise through northern Europe two years ago and it was a tossup between Helsinki and Klaipeda, Lithuania for our least favourite port.

My theory is that the flaws of a place give it charm or character. When a place is damn near perfect for living, it becomes boring af for tourists since that character is missing.

2 Likes

I need to get out of country. I’ve been to Canada and Jamaica. Jealous of some of you.

Locked in for the Unstuck November meetup in Madrid! Happened to browse prices and saw one too good to pass up for Cancun to Madrid ($290, includes checked bag).

I’d imagine we’ll be in Madrid for a month, so will be down to hang out if others arrive in mid to late November.

5 Likes

Drop a line if any of you are in Prague.

3 Likes

Addendum to this is that my first “vacations” are going to have to be to see family that I haven’t seen in nearly 2 years.

Those include:

• Mother-in-law in Texas. We’re doing this next month. No problems with her mother, but I’m not looking forward to the heat.
  • My nonagenarian grandmother in North Carolina. She’s great, but there’s not much in the way of excitement.
  • Trumper father-in-law in southern New Jersey. Ugh.

That’s a really good deal. I think I get there pretty much the same time as @MichaelDavis. Wife booked it so I can’t look but I know we leave the Wednesday before thanksgiving. So we will likely either be there later that night or the next day depending on layovers. The preliminary plan is to head to Basque country for a week or two and then undetermined from there but I am quite sure we will stay in Madrid for a day or two even though we have been there just to de-jetlag.

2 Likes

6 Likes

LOL. I actually edited the original post to add “country”. I don’t know really what to call it. A region I guess?

When you’re there calling it a country won’t do you any harm.

2 Likes

I fell in love with Gateaux Basque when I was there as a kid, and the waiters soon knew what I’d want for pudding.

1 Like