Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

The AF food, which is pretty much all I care about, is worlds better. The Delta Lounge that had the fight was in some other city I can’t remember now. Maybe JFK.

Yeah I had to do that walk to get to the lounge and will have to walk back for my flight. Kinda warm in the tunnel so I get nice and sweaty.

FWIW, if you’re flying LAX-SLC-CDG and you have lounge access (either via status or a business class ticket) you should still be able to access the AF lounge in LAX. Some of the airline employees don’t understand this rule (delta’s lounge access rules are extremely convoluted but the skyteam rules are much more straightforward)

I asked them and they said I’d have had to go to the Delta Lounge. But if this happens again I might press the issue.

them who

if you walk into the AF lounge with a same-day international flight on a skyteam airline, even if it’s departing from a different airport, and you have skyteam elite plus status (that’s delta gold or higher) or you have a business class ticket, all they do is scan it and the computer will tell them to let you in

The woman at the front desk of the lounge.

it’s amazing how few of the employees actually bother to understand the rules, it’s literally their job

if you’re flying LAX-SLC to catch SLC-CDG you are “connecting to or from an international flight operated by a SkyTeam carrier” and hence clearly qualify for access to any skyteam-operated lounge at LAX, which includes AF salons.

1 Like

Well it turns out my gate was in the same terminal as the lounge, which is apparently still considered part of terminal B, even though it’s clearly terminal 4.

So I got to walk the tunnel twice. Nothing like multiple layers of swamp ass to start 15 hours of travel.

I will be taking a morning train from London to Edinburgh in November, then spending three nights in Scotland and returning on the 4th day to London by train? Any recommendations?

Currently planning on spending the first day in Edinburgh. Second day on a Scottish Highlands, Loch Ness and Glencoe bus day tour and third day a combination of Edinburgh/Glasgow?

It feels like a lot for 3 days. Maybe on the last day just skip Glasgow and do more Edinburgh? There’s definitely enough to do there for a couple of full days.

It would pain me to go all the way to Glencoe and not get to go to Skye, which is one of my favorite places in the world. But 3 nights you can’t do everything to make sacrifices and you do get a sense of the beautiful Highlands landscape going through Glencoe. Loch Ness isn’t anything particularly interesting, IMO, so if there was a tour that saw more Highlands landscape and skipped the Loch, I’d do that. There are probably day tours to the Cairngorms as well, but that’s less “dramatic” landscape than Glencoe.

A little flavor of Glencoe from last month:

1 Like

Agree with Jordan. I lived in Scotland. Skip Glasgow and spend that time in Edinburgh. Perhaps do a day trip to Stirling Castle/Wallace Monument in Stirling if you want another day trip (and are also a Braveheart fan).

By a weird coincidence my friend is here moving her daughter in as a freshman to the U of Paris Nanterre. Tuition is 2,500 Euros per semester, even for international students. Fucking hell. Even with the expense of living in Paris, she’s still saving a ton over a US college.

I asked her if she and her daughter watched the Taken trilogy right before coming to Paris. “No, should we?” Apparently my friend has never seen it. I was like no, forget everything I just said.

1 Like

Did you rent a car and drive? When I went to Ireland, I was happy that I didn’t drive as the roads were very small and winding and it seems like it would’ve been scary.

The only city that I see that does day tours to Skye is Inverness. Im only seeing 3-day tours from EDI that include Skye.

Is the instruction in French?

I’m thinking I need to get my preteen daughter to watch Taken as a cautionary tale. I’ve only seen the first one. Not sure how young is too young. Probably need to wait a few years. But by then she won’t listen to me at all.

For a psych major, it’s in French until grad school, then it switches to English.

The kid went to a K-12 French immersion charter school. So she’s good.

This is why I can’t fully hate charter schools. I have three friends with multiple kids in this school (Acadamie Lafayette). It’s a godsend. I was in the KC school district. I’m glad I had the experience, but I wouldn’t put my kid through that.

I know they probably do harm all over the place. But I know three families who probably couldn’t have afforded private school and would have had to move out of midtown KC.

Then again one friend couldn’t get his kids in and they’re doing ok in KCUSD, including Lincoln Academy, the same magnet school I went to that was basically a chaotic war zone. So hopefully things have gotten better since my day.

That’s weird. Why does it switch?

Hopefully. I’ve known kids who went to those who aren’t fluent enough to easily digest technical material. Hell, there are plenty of monolingual English speakers who can’t read at a high-school level. Of course, I’m sure the kid and her family are fully aware of this and given that they are going ahead with it, she’s probably fine as you say.

I guess the language of academic-level psych is English.

Yes, rented a car (when outside Edinburgh) for both trips to Scotland. The roads can get narrow and windy as you get deeper into the Highlands, but I found that part of the fun of the country.

I’m not necessarily suggesting you squeeze in Skye. It’s another 2+ hours past Glencoe. It’s far from Edinburgh with only 3 nights. Probably better saved for a separate trip than to feel rushed.

1 Like

My guess without knowing anything is that the vast majority of academic research is published in English? Idk I had a Japanese professor who tried to get me to go to his Alma mater for grad school and he was very adamant about assuring me that everything would be in English.

I don’t really have many regrets in my life but I do think about this opportunity every once in a while.