Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Questions (mostly directed @Fossilkid93).

Since I left Prague, I haven’t been able to use my card to buy rides on Bolt. I’ve been using an Armenian app that also only permits cash only transactions but will have to go back to Bolt when in Tbilisi. Is this a problem you ran into on ride-sharing apps too?

Also, I need to buy a SIM card when I arrive. My phone is not compatible with eSIM. What’s the best place to go to get a cheap SIM card to last a week?

I used Bolt in Prague last month, and then used it a week later in Budapest without any issues (a US-issued credit card). Is it possible given your (I assume) regular use of the card in Prague, it’s blocking transactions outside of that country? Can you use that card for in-person transactions? Did you try a different card?

Although I think on a previous European trip I was having issues getting Bolt to accept my card. I’m not sure if I found a solution on that trip.

My card works for in-person transactions no problem. But the Bolt app doesn’t have the card stored on it and doesn’t even allow me to add a card. I wonder if it’s a restriction from Armenia.

I’ve never had that issue with Bolt and have used it in a couple different countries. I exclusively used Bolt in Georgia (also Wolt is great for deliveries), but I’ve heard Yandex is ok too, so maybe that app might work with your card.

For SIM card, I went with Magti and was pretty happy anywhere I used it. Their normal plan is very cheap ($11/month for unlimited internet or $3.50/week). At the airport I think there will be some markup, but I still think it’s pretty cheap and it’s always nice to already have internet sorted upon leaving the airport.

GoTrip.ge might also be useful. You can basically rent a driver for a 1-way or round-trip day trip and build in several stops along the way. The drivers are basically at your beck and call and are usually fairly nice and insightful.

If you want some restaurant recs, let me know. Otsy is a place I’d say is obligatory. The beef cheeks are amazing. It’s “expensive” by Tbilisi standards, so about $15-18 a plate. Not sure if you like wines, but 8000 Vintages is a great place to get a good meat and cheese board and they’ll give some recs for glasses of wine. You’ll likely have to reserve ahead so do that now if interested.

For some reason I can’t even download Yandex. Wonder if it’s banned on phones with EU numbers. Had trouble using my Armenian number for calls and SMS (4G is fine). Wonder if my phone is locked.

Gotrip seems like it could be useful if I get a tourist or two to come along on day trips to split the cost

Lots of street cats, but oddly we’ve seen 0 dogs. Which probably means they were rounded up and put in shelters or killed.

Bezos was photographed doing some jet skiing, is it?

Does that in any way harsh your buzz on travel?

Interestingly, Bolt started allowing me to use my card the moment I crossed into Georgia.

So I guess restricting (at least foreign) card use for ride sharing apps is a thing in Armenia.

1 Like

Georgia is probably by far the easiest country to just immediately hit the ground running as a tourist or expat. If you were so inclined, you could even open a Georgian bank account in about 10 minutes. Cell phones are easy, tons of apps for super cheap rideshare or deliveries. Even the visa is simple. You get 1-year free with no hassle. Well, no hassle if you’re a white person with a good passport. I think there’s also a scheme to register yourself as an entrepreneur and the tax rate is 1%.

We got married there b/c it’s also one of the few places that would allow 2 non-nationals to get married.

I kinda noticed that. In less than a half hour, I had cash withdrawn, a metrocard, a SIM card, and purchased a train ticket to Batumi for 6 days from now. Side note, gonna reach 100F in Tbilisi next weekend. But I’ll be in Batumi where it’ll be 81F at that time. Bullet dodged.

And yeah, I noticed at the border certain people being asked more questions than others. I got through without being asked a thing. Meanwhile, a member of a stereotypically lesbian couple (whether they actually were or not idk) was taken aside at the border for additional interrogation while no one else was. Apparently, Georgia is hardcore anti-LBGT. Might have been Russian too I guess based on the language used?

Now for some adjaruli khachapuri!

1 Like

I feel bad for the other khachapuris, the version from Adjara is so clearly superior. Tough for me to eat more than 1 or maybe 2 a week though.

You’ve probably seen the Georgian lemonades. They’re pretty ubiquitous. The grape (saperavi) and cream are so good. Pear is my wife’s favorite. Don’t get green (tarragon) though, it’s disgusting.

There’s Georgian food in Prague. So I’ve had some of those khachapuris and lemonades. I guess people choosing imeruli over megruli khachapuri are choosing to have a slightly lower cholesterol level.

Anyway, Tbilisi is sooooo much better than Yerevan. It is definitely more touristy but it’s just better in basically every way. Food, the expat community, getting around, getting settled is all better. I’ll start doing touristy stuff tomorrow (technically later today).

1 Like

7 Likes

Doing a SoCal trip at the end of September. Flying into LAX, planning on catching a Dodger game that evening, staying a night in LA, then doing 2 nights each in Pacific Beach and Coronado. Anything on the must-do or must-eat lists?

As a side note, I’m a huge fan of churchkhela. It’s referred to as Georgian Snickers. Churchkhela is made of grape must, nuts and flour.

That and some cream flavored Georgian lemonade is magic

2 Likes

In PB within walking distance of the pier for cheap eats I’d go to Kono’s for breakfast, Board n Brew for lunch, and Oscars or City Tacos for Mexican food.

1 Like

Lol, probably the exact 2 things I miss most from Georgia. Also a hearty kharcho (soup) like the ones they make at the restaurant Pasanauri. Most are too runny.

Funnily enough, I actually went to Pasanuri earlier today. Got myself a small order of shkmeruli which was more than enough for me.

Damn, Georgian food is definitely a one meal per day cuisine.

What’s holding me back from things like soup and khinkali is the weather. It’s too damn hot for soup and I’ve had khinkali before (just not in Georgia). I mean I’ll probably have the khinkali because it’s expected but I might get a more gimmicky or uncommon type.

Yah, was gonna add that it’s probably not kharcho weather.

Some form of khinkhali is made in several countries, but it’s still worth trying at least once, despite the warm weather. The meat and cheese ones are pretty distinct from what you’d find elsewhere bc their meat is seasoned differently and Georgian cheese has a pretty distinct taste (as you’ve prob noticed from the khachapuri)