Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Was in Bavaria for a week last month and had no problem using a credit card.

Only place I think we went to that was cash only was this hole in the wall wine bar in Salzburg.

She is diagnosed ASD.

She’s still wrong.

If a business is cash only, they’re probably not reporting everything to the taxman.

It surprises me in a City like Düsseldorf, but in smaller places this would be quiet common. Most Germans don‘t use credit cards, but debit cards/ „EC-Cards“, so those are also more widely accepted.

Can highly recommend Berlin. Spent 4 days there.

1 Like

The recent autism posts may have just been pointing out a fact but can come across as using autism as an insult so keep that in mind and try to avoid using clinical diagnoses as attacks.

Headed to Ireland in a week or so. Splitting time between Dublin and Galway. In Galway we are renting a car so we can explore the countryside (a bit nervous about the left-handed stick shifting).

A couple questions:

1. I know this is a stupid question, but when our phones are connected to (for example), our hotel wi-fi, they function just as in the US? Meaning texting and everything is included and I don’t need any data plan? I know I can get a Euro plan through ATT but it is expensive, and so I was wondering if I could just get by on wi-fi. I know I wouldn’t be able to use google maps etc while driving though. We won’t need our phones much, just maybe texting our house-sitter occasionally.

2. Anyone have under-the-radar things to see in Dublin? We like to walk a lot, so we’ll be doing the typical walks through Trinity College, the cathedral area, the Beatty library, and some of the parks. I have a couple quiet neighborhood type pubs picked out, those seem more up our alley than the Temple Bar area pubs. Any other things not to miss?

I wouldn’t count on this. This isn’t true for me. (Your phone/plan may be different)

WhatsApp (and other apps like it that aren’t owned by Facebook) do work and you can definitely text/call on those over wifi.

On my AT&T plan, unlimited everything in Europe was $10/day.

Shit, maybe I mis-read it, if this is the price I’ll snap take it.

2 Likes

You can get a lot cheaper if you get a sim card there. Reddit - Dive into anything

$10 a day is absolute robbery. Google Fi I think charged me $10 more for the month total.

I’ve used Airalo e-Sim in a handful of countries, and it’s worked quite well for me. You won’t get a local phone # though, but it will allow you to use data for internet, Maps, Whatsapp, other apps, etc. on the go.

It’s super cheap too, but just make sure your cell phone allows for e-Sims, many do not.

Here’s the page for Ireland plans: Ireland eSIM, from $5 | World’s first eSIM store · Airalo

2 Likes

This Airalo sounds great but it looks like my phone does not support. The Google Fi suggested by @Krayz looks good too, but I can’t use that either. I guess I’ll try the ATT plan (if I limit the days I use it, looks like I can probably cut it to $30 or so). Thanks everyone

To hotel wi-fi, yes. Though if you plan on calling someone, your fees might be higher depending on your plan.

If you plan on using 4 or 5G, I suggest buying an eSIM before leaving.

Same here

1 Like

Finally got some pics of our Colombian horseback adventure.

9 Likes