Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

In Barcelona, I mainly just did as many Gaudi things as I could, ate whatever good food I could, and went to the beach once, and that would have been enough for an amazing stay. I also really enjoyed the Picasso museum there, and if you are a lover of art or especially of Dali in particular, Figueres is a short train ride away and has an awesome Dali museum.

We had little trouble getting by on almost nothing but English (some broken Spanish with a cab driver was about all the non-English we needed). Given how nice everyone was to us, Iā€™d expect any Catalan spoken by obvious tourists to be regarded as a respectful bonus.

In much of Asia deodorant is not a thing due to a genetic variation that causes most people not to have BO. There is a certain chemical in sweat that bacteria feed off of, but most Asians donā€™t produce the chemical. It has to go with earwax: people with wet earwax have BO, and people with dry earwax have no BO.

(If you are uncertain whether or not you have wet earwax, then you have wet earwax.)

Disclaimer I could be completely wrong about this.

I remember when a coworker of mine was getting in a huge intense battle with another coworker. He literally stunk from his body producing so much stress hormone or whatever.

I donā€™t think I get much BO normally. But when I was on testosterone I noticed a big change.

IMG_6469

Dude is pretty famous, imo. Heā€™s got a statute in Chicago that Iā€™ve seen.

Somehow he got a mountain in Australia named after him too. Not sure how that happened. Maybe @ChrisV can fill us in.

If someone desired, they could nitpick this a little, but I think itā€™s not too far off from what I understand the situation to be. I did a deep dive on this a few years ago but it has been a while and Iā€™m a bit fuzzy on some of the details.

Thereā€™s a monument in Krakow called the Kościuszko mound erected in his honour and apparently the Polish explorer (Strzelecki) who first mapped the mountain thought it resembled the mound a bit.

I mean, kind of? Mt. Kościuszko is a very unimpressive looking thing, it has very little prominence, itā€™s just the tallest peak by a little bit on a high plateau.

Well, itā€™s still the tallest mountain in all of Aus, right? Thatā€™s nothing to sneeze at, imo.

Tourist stuff is shockingly expensive in Barcelona. We visited the Sagrada Familia and one of the Gaudi houses and paid 35-45 Euro a ticket for each. I guess it makes sense for the SF bc theyā€™re still trying to finish the damn thing after all those years, but still seemed like a mega rip off after having visited the Louvre for like 18 Euro with guide included. The Gaudi/art nouveau stuff is fascinating to me and there are a couple routes you can find online that lead you through 2 dozen or so of the art nouveau highlights. Personally, I found the stuff of Montaner I Domenech almost equal to that of Gaudi. Itā€™s criminal that heā€™s like 1/10th as well known.

For budget travelers, there were some pretty awesome restaurants in Barcelona included on the app TheFork. We had a lot of meals that were 20-50% off and were surprisingly good. After 10 meals or so they also give you a 25 Euro off voucher. It was nice having 2 plates and 2 drinks and the bill came out to like 1.60. Iā€™m such a baller that I tipped more than the bill.

My most fun meals both times I visited Barcelona were in Can Paixano. Great atmosphere, good prices, and excellent cava, jamĆ³n, chorizo, And cheese.

It can get pretty busy and hectic but if you go early in the afternoon it should be pretty good.

heā€™s famous for this bridge

Which is so important, they named a national park after him

Immediately thought of a bridge too, but for me it was this one on I-87:

Never heard of this Polish engineer but Iā€™m not much of a history guy.

Thadd got around

1 Like

had a flight out of JFK to London late last night where we were told we are just waiting on the co pilot - should only be a few mins. Many mins pass - shouldnā€™t be long know folks. Many mins pass - Flight cancelled and we have no hotel rooms so you are on your own there and try and get that shit back from us.

If a European carrier, look into EU240 compensation. If an American carrier, sorry, that sucks.

was constantly in awe of how inexpensive food and drink was in barca/porto/lisbon when i went a few weeks ago.

would like to 2nd spinettaā€™s suggestion on visiting costa bravas, absolutely gorgeous.

1 Like

Yep USA #1. Am getting a ride back to the airport so thereā€™s that. Off course gratuity not included.

if you booked flights with a CC, a lot will have flight/travel protection and you can get some compensation (i know this is the case with chase cards specifically).

2 Likes

I can tell Iā€™m getting older because I think about getting travel insurance instead of blowing it off.

Still donā€™t get it though.

1 Like