Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Anyone got any opinion on Salzburg vs Vienna for a 2 day excursion from Munich?

I was a bigger fan of Salzburg. Smaller, cleaner, not as expensive. Salzburg is more doable in 2 days than Vienna.

Plus, it’s way closer to Munich than Vienna. Munich to Vienna is 5 hours each way unless you plan on flying. To Salzburg it’s less than 2.

1 Like

Wat

They’ve been trying to cram more people on a plane for ages. They’ll eventually find a way that isn’t a delusion from a criminally insane person.

It’s for wide body aircraft that are big enough to have multiple passenger decks. The weird thing to me is the use of virtual windows.

I’m in Olomouc, Czech Republic and a local church (I think Orthodox) is holding their Easter Mass in the city square.

Nearby is quality beer at less than $2 per pint and fried potato pancakes (about $4 per pound). How are Christian churches in America not doing this en masse?

I think this counts as the first religious ceremony I’ve attended in 14 years and I’m content to be there. Wonder why…

4 Likes

Going to Tokyo for the first time with my daughter who is into kawaii stuff like Hello Kitty/Sanrio. Any recommendations for things to do and/or places to stay? I don’t know anything about Japan.

Akihabara has anime that’s fun for all ages!

2 Likes

Start here:

Built around US servicemen, it truly is ‘hell’ on earth - been twice, once with the (now) wife! Travelled Thailand extensively since '93 so when you’ve done everywhere else twice, Pattaya gets a second visit. Phuket still dreamy, if you know where to look.

From memory you’re gonna do Elite and hit BKK first - way to go - i doubt you’ll leave bangers for the first two months :)

1 Like

Yah, we’re gonna base ourselves in Bangkok all 5 years of Thai Elite, but planning to travel extensively in Thailand and also Asia over that time.

Starting at the end of April, we’ll kinda be moving around quite often through a lot of Poland and Romania, then a month in Istanbul to cap it off before settling in Bangkok, so we’ll probably be glad to chill for a couple months and just explore what Bangkok has to offer when we finally arrive in November.

From what I understand, Hua Hin seems like the more reasonable option if you want a quick beach getaway from BKK? It looks like BKK also built a brand new central train station that looks nice and has quick connections. From what I’ve read, China is bankrolling a lot of rail projects in the region b/c they want to connect by high speed rail all the way to Singapore (if memory serves) and Thailand is one of the beneficiaries.

I’m sure we’ll visit Pattaya too at some point, just out of morbid curiosity.

One of the more degenerate individuals I know lives in Koh Samui, eking out a living from the rent money from a house he has in Australia, spending his time watching footy, drinking, doing coke, banging prostitutes and sleeping until noon. He went to Pattaya and said it was too degenerate for his tastes.

4 Likes

Definitely felt uncomfortable there. Thankfully, I was staying in Jomtien Beach which was a decent trip from Pattaya Beach. One night on Pattaya Beach Blvd was more than enough for infinite lifetimes.

I mean when they’re showing older patrons the IDs of their girls to prove that they’re of age, it’s creepy AF.

One trip split between Bangkok and Ko Samui was enough to realize that Thailand is not the place for me.

Well Avianca has informed me that the flight I booked will now be operated by Wamos for Avianca, is now an A330 instead of a 787, and I no longer have the seats I paid for. Reaching out to their customer service but my hopes are not high.

Sounds like, at worst, you’ll get your money back after a lot of phone calls. Hope you run better than that.

All/most of the Avianca horror stories online involve their customer service and/or not receiving promised refunds. And, it’s still the only direct BOG-LAX flight that exists. For me, a direct flight in shittier seats still beats connecting. So I’m going to try to get our seats upgraded on the new flight, but I’m prepared to fold.

Assuming you paid by credit card, you can always just go through the CC company to get the money. So, I’m pretty sure you would get it in the end. But hopefully you’ll gets seats and make it there. If you do, I’d really be sweating bullets on the flight back.

Buongiorno from Florence. Our hotel room overlooks the Ponte Vecchio.

We had a cool guided walking tour yesterday about the history of the Medici family and how they used the private hallway over the bridge to get to and from their private spaces without getting exposed to the peasants. Getting a private tour (just me and my wife with the guide) was a very smart splurge. Its way more fun than shuffling along in a group of boorish Americans and stone faced Germans trying to hear the guide over the crowd.

12 Likes

We spent the preceding week in the countryside in Tuscany and it was more fun. Florence is an interesting town to visit but the hilltop towns in Val D’orcia were a more special experience.

Here we climbed to the top of a fortress on one of the towns, with great views of the valley.

7 Likes