Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

How much clothing do you take with you? I can pack light in a pinch, but that seems extreme.

Stuff I took:

2 small tablets (for pokering) + chargers for phone/tablets
2 pairs pants
1 pair sweatpants for nighttime lounging
1 tank top + shorts for gym/yoga
5 pairs socks
5 pairs boxers
3 short sleeved tees
1 long sleeve tee
1 dress shirt
1 dressy sweater
1 jacket
1 pair shoes

I think that’s basically it, might’ve forgotten 1 or 2 minor things. I wore the jacket, a sweater, and a tee to save space.

We usually didn’t go more than 4-5 days without a washer, except for 1 time when we washed by hand.

1 Like

That’s a lot for a school sized backpack. If I could fit that in one, I guess I’d be fine too.

I just barely came in under the 40x30x20cm carry on luggage limit for the cheapo airlines with all that stuff. Didn’t really feel like I missed anything important, but of course there’s no extra room to buy souvenirs or stuff on the trip.

if you’re willing to do laundry in a sink you can get away with some extreme ultra-light packing.

anyway here’s my current backpack:

I just upgraded to this from the TB Brain Bag, which is a tiny bit smaller. I had taken the Brain Bag around the world, well over 1000 flights with it, and it’s still in great shape. Never needed anything else. I do have some wheeled stuff but I only use those when my wife is traveling with me.

Looks like @pvn 's backpack is just over those dimensions. But I don’t think he is trying to get under the carry on limit.

Yeah, that’s a hard pass for me.

One problem I have is that I sometimes need to pack a suit. That’s half a roller bag if I want it to end up pretty wrinkle free on the other end.

There’s a whole thing of traveling w/o bags at all.

1 Like

On a trip to Vegas, I can easily fit in 4x(socks, underwear, pants, t-shirt, long-sleeved button-down shirt) in a backpack that fits under a plane seat with room for my tablet, a couple of books, and toiletries.

I should probably learn how to wear pants for more than one day.

nah, wool suits are more wrinkle resistant than most people would think. If you pack it properly you won’t have trouble. I’ve used the BB method for jamming suits into backpacks and never been disappointed.

https://magazine.brooksbrothers.com/how-to-pack-a-suit/

(I wouldn’t try this with linen or seersucker tho)

Shouldn’t it just be “if you’re willing to do laundry”? Why would it have to be in a sink? Don’t most places have laundromats?

If you only have a few pieces of clothing and are moving around a lot, the sink becomes a good option.

Yeah, I’ve tried it and it’s OK, but not as good as my current method which is to just keep in the drycleaning bag, fold in half, and then put it all by itself in the upper compartment of my rolling carry-on.

I still get some annoying wrinkles with the BB method. Not terrible, but not great.

Seeking one out and going to do laundry there becomes like a half day time suck.

Yea, I’m still trying to figure out what exact taxes and fees you’d get charged for with this deal.

For example my last Frontier round trip flight was $140. $60 for the fare and $80 in taxes and fees. But $46 of that was Carrier Interface Charges, which supposedly don’t get charged for in the deal. So $17 each way in fees, which doesn’t seem too bad. But only being able to book only the day before is a pretty big negative.

I don’t care about the seating and baggage fees though, in the US I’m almost always just traveling with a bag that can fit under the seat. And it’s not just Frontier that charges for carry-ons in the base fares these days, its just about everyone - United, Delta, etc if you’re flying basic economy. Frontier is really cracking down on people taking carry-ons as personal items though! They’ve been very aggressive about making sure personal items fit in that metal box thingy.

People absolutely hate Spirit and Frontier, but flying midweek direct with only a small bag, I’ve had almost no problems whatsoever.

Yeah, I’m too much of a planner to enjoy only being able to use this either on impulsive trips or on trips I’m willing to cancel or postpone if I can’t find a seat.

I also assume whatever I save on total airfare across a year will get wiped out by paying more at the last minute for hotel rooms, not even counting the stress of having to find a convenient, clean and reasonably priced room the day before or day of travel.

Yea good point, and I like to stay in airbnbs which require a bit more advanced booking. If they gave you a week or even a couple days I’d be much more likely to jump on this.

For a first time in Tokyo should I just stay Shinjuku? I’m leaving in a few days so I guess I should start doing some planning. Any thoughts on spending a night in Hakone vs Kawaguchiko for a night? Any street food recs for Tokyo? I usually just wander around and pop in wherever looks good. @Ikioi