Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Montrealers are seasoned for those winters, though. Once I visited in February, and heading down a street with a bunch of bars and clubs, you’d almost not know what month it was based on the short skirts and strappy heels on the young women out for a smoke. Yes, there was ample snow on the ground at the time; it wasn’t some fluke heat wave.

There is bitter cold, and then there’s just winter. Winter is fine. You’re seriously wimpy if you can’t handle winter. Bitterly cold is truly miserable, but it’s not a constant thing. Even February in Montreal is mostly just winter and not bitterly cold. But bitterly cold is more memorable.

Yep. Anything above 10 deg Fahrenheit is totally fine. Above 20 is comfortable for outdoor activities for a couple hours at a time. Single digits or below zero Fahrenheit and it’s just get inside as quick as possible.

As someone who spent his college years in Albany, NY, I think I can attest to what bitter cold feels like.

1 Like

I currently live in a place north of Toronto that is not as cold as Montreal, but does have “extreme” winters. From about late November to April we’re under snow and often get dumps of 1 foot over night and regularly have 3+ feet on the ground. What I have found here is that the worst months are actually November and April in the transition periods. Those weeks tend to be still cold, but also wet and muddy and dark and bleh. The actual peak winter months in Jan/Feb are much more pleasant because even though it’s very cold it’s actually more fun to layer up and go snowshoeing in those months than it is to trudge through slush and ice in the shoulder seasons.

Also, the intensity of winter makes you appreciate summer more. Summer in a generally warmer climate is super unpleasant but even the hottest summer days here tend to be enjoyable. I think that’s in part because we wait so long for it over the winter, it psychologically feels like we’ve “earned” it somehow. Human brains are funny.

Don’t mind snow at all, and don’t really mind the cold as long as it doesn’t get stupid.

The worst parts of winter are:

1. The fact that it gets dark at like 4 PM.
  2. When it’s both cold and windy.
2 Likes

The Senate unanimously voted to make DST permanent. What caused it to stall in the house?

Based on wiki weather info Montreal winters and the overall weather look pretty similar to where I’ve lived most if my life. I don’t enjoy winters though so if I were to move it would definitely not be a place with the same weather.

Looks like they can’t agree on whether it should be permanent DST or standard time.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3571007-permanent-daylight-saving-time-hits-brick-wall-in-house/

What kind of sickos are advocating for sunrise at 5:15 AM and sunset at 4:30PM in December?

1 Like

(I think you’re a couple hours off on the sunrise, but…)

“Experts”

This is a great example of an issue where experts say X is better for you and 90% of people say “fuck that, I don’t want it.”

Dems fumble this sort of thing relentlessly because they simply cannot override the guidance of experts.

I’ll accept pretty much anything that doesn’t involve fucking with the clocks twice a year.

1 Like

Yeah wow didn’t realize that even with no DST, in Early December Sunrise in Chicago is 7AM and Sunset is 4:30PM

Yeah, in Portland on Dec 21, the worst day, sunrise is at 7:48 am on standard time. I will accept permanent DST so as to avoid the clock shifting nonsense, but an 8:48 am sunrise sucks, man.

Remember reading that kids going to school in the dark was a common complaint against DST. The article points out some other issues

Pallone emphasized that the disagreements are based on geographical location and not party affiliation.

Lawmakers in tourism areas, for example, are generally in favor of daylight saving time because they want visitors to stay out later, according to Pallone. But in rural locations that have large farmer communities, an extra hour in the morning is optimal.

These are also some religious concerns. According to a Democratic aide, at least one lawmaker has received pushback to the measure from Yeshivas, which are worried that the new time system will conflict with morning prayers.

“We will mark time by dividing the planet’s rotation into 24 units.”

“OK. I will do a thing at unit 08:00.”

[several months pass]

“The illumination at 08:00 is no longer appropriate for thing.”

“Yeah, well, orbits and stuff. Maybe you could reschedule thing for better lighting?”

“No! Must move 08:00! Thing must happen at 08:00! Sacred number!”

2 Likes

Try scheduling a meeting 5 weeks from now at 3 hours after sunrise.

Keep the clock on standard time and encourage urban businesses to have different summer and winter hours.

I don’t understand what’s difficult about it. A meeting at 08:00 during one part of the year might be better scheduled at 09:00 during another part of the year.

And why is this discussion happening in the travel thread?

1 Like