Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

If they’re going to spend $$billions on an airport rebuild I would rather they leave the shitty terminal intact and actually make it possible to get in and out of the airport. it’s 2022 and there’s still no way to get the 2 miles from LGA to Manhattan in less than 45 minutes (on a good day with no traffic)

Big thanks to those that recommended Oma’s Hideaway in Portland. Totally unique experience for my group and the place was a definite vibe. The roti with the parsnip and squash curry was insanely good, and the whole meal was top notch.

4 Likes

This is true and infuriating.

Are people getting TSA pre/global entry? My wife and I got ours over the past couple of years as her job has the potential for international travel. Over the last few months we’ve taken three trips by plane and I cannot recommend it enough. It legit feels like royalty to just be able to waltz through security without any rigmarole.

I thought this was bad because we’re just paying the government to “fix” a problem they created by letting them climb up my ass?

Really I’ve avoided the program for this reason but whenever I fly I just feel ly the time for principles has passed.

how was the interview process? I have heard they are extremely backed up. I just renewed my global entry earlier this year and I luckily didn’t need a new interview so it sailed through basically instantly but I’ve read people are having a really hard time finding available interview appointments.

precheck is basically this, but global entry is a slightly different (but global entry gets you precheck for free)

I did mine last year and had to schedule pretty far out but once I did the interview the process was completed relatively quickly. Working on getting global entry for my daughter now and expecting pretty significant delays.

It is apparently a popular time to visit Portland.

1 Like

New front runner for worst airport: Frankfurt.

Complete disgrace.

If I traveled more frequently to the US, I’d get Global Entry. But I only go back once a year (though it’ll be twice in 2023).

Also, I’d have to find out if they do Global Entry interviews at embassies and consulates for US expats.

EDIT: Nope.

Same for me. Right now I’m about a once a year international traveler (excluding Canada). Any more than that, and I’d probably get it. I’m just sticking with precheck now.

I think Nexus gives you global entry (and is a bit cheaper if that matters), so that might be the best option, but scheduling that Canada interview can be tricky if you don’t have reason to go there.

This is very surprising, isn’t Frankfurt a major hub Airport?

Yes! It’s super dated, literally smells like pee and has absolutely awful food options.

Paris is gorgeous.

1 Like

I don’t recall it being particularly bad. I flew there once in 2016 but didn’t hang around much. Just got my bags and left.

I’ll be transferring through there on my way back from America though. Guess I’ll confirm Riverman’s views in January.

1 Like

Maybe this is illogical but since the AZ airports are so good in terms of logistics and food options, I tend to have a lot of scorn for airports that offer nothing but bad chain food. We were in Orlando last week and on the way out basically had the choice of Wendy’s or Ruby Tuesday for breakfast…got RT and the food was predictably terrible. Seems like it was pretty easy to get a bunch of quality local places set up in both Tucson and Phoenix, more places need to do this.

I’m not alone!

2 Likes

Did it at least have frankfurters?

I did go through Global Entry this time around, and I don’t think it saved me time or money. The customs lines this time weren’t long, but eliminating the stress of potentially missing your connecting flight if they were long was worth it.

Recent trip report, Madrid:

I wanted to go to Iberia during my European trip last month to see another country and culture that I haven’t experienced. My preferences were Barcelona, Seville, Lisbon, then Madrid in that order. It would only be for a couple days and the flights worked out so that my fourth choice, Madrid, was the best option.

I stayed in the city center near the Plaza de España, and I was blown away at how beautiful, clean, and pedestrian friendly it was. It seemed like every time you turn a corner there is a park or a plaza. Everything was very easy to walk and I did not wind up using public transportation (I like PT) or taxis, except to get to\from the airport. The city center also has some restrictions on ICE vehicles and parking near the palace. It was noticeably fresher air to me than most cities I’ve been to.

Overall, I was surprised at how nice that part of Madrid was. Lots of young families in the parks celebrating birthdays, couples having picnics in the green spaces, and just general life going on. I’m not sure there is a ton to do in Madrid as far as things to see, but I really liked the city. I went with someone that speaks Spanish well, but not fluently, and I can speak enough to ask basic questions and order food. That probably helped.

All the Spanish cities I’ve seen have been great imo.

I’d probably rate them:

Madrid >> Barcelona >> Sevilla >>>> Málaga = Valencia

Not that I disliked the last 2, but the others are among my favorite cities.

There are also several smaller cities that make for great side trips. Alhambra in Granada is a must see and I loved Granada itself. Córdoba and Toledo are also really nice.

Madrid has more than a dozen day trips nearby, which would be fun to knock out one by one if I ever spent any length of time there. We spent a month in Barcelona and a week in Madrid, but I would’ve reversed that if I could back.

I’m surprised that the general consensus is that Madrid is meh. It’s probably just out of my top 5 favorite cities I’ve seen. Barcelona is great too, hovering near my top 10.

One thing about Barcelona that is a fairly big negative for me is the rounded off street corners. It just creates extra distance to walk and they’ve turned most of the extra space into parking or trash bins which is a bit ugly. We just ended up jaywalking thru most of those corners.

1 Like