Travel Addicts/Advice Thread

Exactly my thoughts when watching the LFS train video.

2 Likes

Here’s the spot in Lucerne I swam at - this one was free and it’s like a 10 minute walk from the main Train Station. I was trying to explain to someone the how great it is that in a large city you can just… go swimming. It’s not going to poison you.

2 Likes

I don’t see a single overweight person! Amazing.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have yet to visit, but “every pic of Switzerland makes it seem like the most gorgeous place on earth” is a thought that has popped into my head many many times in my years of planning international trips and destinations

It’s really weird, I get two very strong opinions from friends about visiting Switzerland. 1 - it is the most beautiful place on earth. 2 - it is the most boring place on earth.

What’s the best neighborhood in CDMX for home base for a couple of days? Centro Historico?

What’s worse is someone who has a first name as a surname.

At some point my eyes and brain were like “oh look, another impossibly beautiful vista”. Knowing what I know now, I’d probably skip the Golden Pass and Geneva and spend more time in the Lucerne/Zurich area and fly home from there.

1 Like

I get the boring criticism, it obviously depends on what you’re looking for. For me and my family, after 10 days of Italy crowds and heat, it was absolutely perfect. But if a person is looking for action, Lucerne is probably not the place to go. Even with that said, if one is looking to criticize Switzerland I’d rank expensive ahead of boring.

1 Like

Yeah I have also heard expensive. By brother in law claims that he had the best cup of coffee in his whole life in Switzerland, and it was only 12 Euros.

I would like to visit Switzerland for sure. My wife and I are intentionally boring people - I love just going for long walks and and hanging out somewhere having a nice coffee and reading a book or something. I get plenty of outrageous over the top excitement in my job as an actuary, I don’t need to seek thrills on vacation.

7 Likes

Probably the wrong topic but we discussed cards earlier.

I just signed up for the Venture X to replace my Southwest Chase cards. Those have a fee of $80 and $40.

I assume I should keep them open to not impact by credit history and just use them occasionally? Or does it matter if I cancel.

Total available (and unused) credit matters a lot, but if that’s the only reason you still want it, switch to a no fee card. The only reason to have an annual fee card is if you’re heavily using the benefits that come with it.

Roma/Condesa is the best choice.

Centro, Polanco, and Coyoacan are all places where you’ll be more than happy, but Roma/Condesa is simply the best culture/vibe and it’s easy to move around via Uber.

Also check out the airbnb options. They’re amazing.

1 Like

https://abnb.me/WvED9o0M8rb

This seems to be in Condesa and awesome.

1 Like

Here’s a little map I made for all the people asking me where to stay in CDMX. You can ignore the star, that’s where I lived.

To the north is more of an urban feel. You have modern skyscrapers, monuments, Paseo de la Reforma (one of the GOAT streets), and as you move south (to Roma/Condesa) it’s a greener vibe with more parks/trees. It’s also really central to the main sites.

53870836_122705848884511_7704870637959744284_n

2 Likes

Beautiful. Appreciate it! I’ll probably hit you up for recommendations eventually :).

1 Like

Yup, you can pull your hair out trying to choose an AirBnB there. I’m not sure why, but it’s gotta be among the best neighborhoods in the world for AirBnB.

It’s a great location. Parque México is really nice, and the 2 streets that loop around it (one is Amsterdam) are among my faves. But you’re also really close to Bosque del Chapultepec (big central Park area w/a castle, lakes, museums, etc. etc.)

AirBNB is annoying in that they don’t show you taxes until you get to the final booking screen, but in CDMX there is an 18% tax on AirBNBs on top of the usual fees, so it’s a bit pricier than normal, but still great value.

1 Like

Cascade Canyon trail, Grand Teton National Park. Great hike. 4 day trek in the Wind River Range starts tomorrow.

12 Likes

Are you going into Cirque of the Towers?