Trans Support Thread

Except one could probably make a fairly compelling case that the gender differences dwarf all those other factors combined.

I don’t know what the answer is and I am not about preventing trans athletes from competing where they choose / need to belong.

I just think it is a fairly complicated issue with a lot of repercussions that needs to tracked and tested over time.

One thing I don’t get is that people argue it doesn’t matter at lower levels. Except the genetic differences are probably relative to a huge degree. It’s more an issue of classification at lower levels where the elite male and female athletes dwarf the competition because they are probably competing too low. This goes away at the top end. And when you go into the elite tiers at lower levels and ages I suspect the gender gap is somewhat similar.

Maybe gifted physical athletes are more likely to transition. Maybe they are less likely. Maybe they are the same.

Ultimately it’s a new reality and will take some adjusting over time.

1 Like

Short answer is it doesn’t matter let the trans women play women’s sports (cuz they be ladies ldo). If some crushmaster 2000 trans woman shows up and slaughterbombs sport x, cool. It’ll be amazing and people will not be able to get enough of it like when Tiger was crushing or Phelps was destroying everyone. People love a winner.

4 Likes

Last I looked, there wasn’t an NHL goalie under 6’3". It requires considerable size, speed, and strength to play the position at a high level.

But in MMA or boxing? The sport is dangerous enough without a massive strength advantage because one of the fighters in the octagon/ring transitioned.

I suppose it’d make women’s boxing watchable until the person’s opponents all retire due to CTE.

2 Likes

The reason it doesnt happen is because all the money is in mens sports and there are no issues at all with trans men competing.

I’m sure you see the double standard

Sure? I mean, to feign concern about CTE in boxing and MMA is pretty…curious. Fighters are free to pass those bouts up also.

1 Like

They’ll also make millions less dollars, so should we really be worried that some.medicore NBAer making 850K a year is going to start identifying as female in order to make 250K a year and be a WNBA superstar?

CTE, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, whatever

A massive strength disadvantage while within the same weight class would be destructive beyond just broken bones and cuts.

To shift the topic: why are there men’s and women’s divisions in chess? That confuses the hell out of me.

Are there no issues with trans men competing? Do they get to take testosterone, and if so, how much? Is it fair to trans men that they may get capped at a lower level than what cis men who are top tier athletes have naturally?

Also, the financial incentive is not for a man at the tippy top of the men’s game to switch to the women’s game to crush even harder. It’s for the men just on the outskirts of the top of the men’s competition to switch and then be the best that ever was. I’m not saying this is or will be a real thing, but if we’re going to look for an incentive, that’s where it is. Being in the NBA in any capacity is way better than being even one of the very best in the WNBA, but being atop the WNBA is likely to be a lot better than being someone who was an amazing college player but just isn’t quite good enough to make the NBA.

If someone were going to pick one, chromosomes is the way to go. One league for individuals with absence of Y chromosome and one league for everyone else. Rules against PEDs still exist. You’re correct that is not ‘perfect’ either. But it meets your test pretty well. It’s objective. It excludes all trans women. And I can’t think of any people transphobes do consider women that it would exclude.

Come ON man, this is just a bullshit republican talking point for why women should make less than men.

Please do fucking better here.

That might be the disconnect. Show them that test result and they’re most definitely not a woman.

That implies that women aren’t jerks towards each other. My perception is that the jerkiness amongst women is in a different form.

Where do I find my massive strength advantage because I’m having trouble finding it? I’m pretty sure that the vast majority of my cis female friends would be able to beat me up.

2 Likes

I’m not really arguing that. It was not one of the conditions you had stated earlier. Those were objective, excludes all trans, and doesn’t exclude people transphobes consider women.

Was referring to a very select group among a very specific group. I’m sure you know that and are just attacking in bad faith.

You’re talking about an imaginary group of transgender women that are super freaks and have massive strength powers.

4 Likes

I think by “jerks”, PC meant “sexually harassing assholes” but decided to be nice.

1 Like

Your point is correct but this is a slight overstatement. The NHL has goalies in the 6’1 and 6’2 range.

There’s very few subjects I’m better informed on than ‘youth soccer development’ compared to others here.

You’d be right to call me out like this if I was making the argument about a pay raise. That’s a horseshit argument because how good women are to men isn’t relevant in whether or not they deserve pay. Their pay should be commensurate with the value they bring.

Your link basically confirms what happened, that the USWNT got waxed in a scrimmage against a bunch of high school freshmen and sophomores. While the article is right to point out that developmental academies are more serious than an average team, they aren’t close to elite even in their age division nor can they compete well against a U17 or U19 team. That’s why I gave them the benefit of the doubt to say it was high schoolers.

How would I know beyond this game? I played in the equivalent of these academies. They didn’t exist like this when I was growing up. Still though, I went to a high school with two girl national pool players. I went to many elite national camps where girls trained with us at various times. I also played with a lot of players who would go on to play pro. I’ve played with and against numerous guys in the MLS and, hell, even a guy who started a few games for ManU.

It’s not a talking point. It’s a fact. The USWNT would get crushed by any pro team. They’d get crushed by any college team NAIA or higher. They’d start competing once you made teams of high schoolers. Exactly where that line is I’m not sure, which is why I wasn’t specific in that post.

None of this is particularly relevant to this discussion.

3 Likes