The unblockable Elon Musk is not serious; it's time to move on

https://www.kake.com/story/49304103/san-franciscos-complaint-against-twitter-says-flashing-x-sign-put-up-without-a-permit

I’ll post future superconductor stuff in the science thread unless Elon comes into the picture, which he will if it doesn’t go away soon. If people thought there was a 1% chance this is real, they’d be going apeshit. And they’re close to that.

The superconductor story, like the Oceangate story is one of those things where I know enough, to know I'm not qualified to talk on the subject, which means I don't want to rush out a half assed video.
Then I look and see completely unqualified hot takes flooding social media.

— Scott Manley (@DJSnM) July 31, 2023

They’re out there panicking. I can feel it.

1 Like

What would the implications be from such a device?

they are hoping you follow back. someone has paid them to get followers, this is how they get them

The obvious and biggest one I see would be energy storage. For you, maybe medical imaging and particle accelerators? Cheaper, better, smaller MRI and cancer killers or stuff like that. It’s not a device, just a material, so it’s hard to say what all the practical uses would be, but it would be world-changing. I’m trying not to get too excited yet but it’s difficult, ha. I mean, a week from now this could be dead, idk. Anyway, I think discussion is picking up in the science thread if anyone is interested.

2 Likes

You’d think they would try more than saying “Hi” and fucking off immediately

Much cheaper MRI scanners and EV charging too, but allowing quantum computers to run at room temperatures would be a game changer for that technology.

I believe you but I honestly don’t get it. Is it just because it’s room temp? How does that lead to cheaper this and that? Is there performance concerns?

1 Like

Building and keeping things very cold at silly sub zero temperatures is very expensive. Come on doctor.

Are superconductors built in super cold and that’s the limiting factor? I honestly don’t know and here’s your chance to be helpful

What Jal said but without the snark. Though liquid nitrogen is fairly cheap, Its still a ton more expensive than trying to run/store/make things at room temperature that currently requires a cold enivronment

1 Like

Not just building, but running. Especially for insane amounts of data/storage. Something like this could accelerate the availability of quantum computing and mechanics by a large (though unknown) factor.

1 Like

Yeah up until now, superconductivity either required temps near absolute zero, or something like “only” -10F but with insane pressure.

1 Like

Your freezer is expensive to keep at -10C or w/e. Now think about what it takes to maintain your burgers at -270C.

1 Like

Jal believe it or not I understand temp. If you want to actually be helpful feel free

1 Like

Edging towards not believing.

You know all that liquid helium your MRIs gobble up to keep the magnets cool? Yeah, we can dispense with that.

1 Like

Does he even know that his MRIs operate at -270C at their core?

Probably far fetched that a room temp superconductor could be so cheap that it could be used in large applications, but if it could, superconducting power transmission lines would make using renewables from a long way away more efficient - like solar farms in AZ or wind farms in Texas powering NYC. China already has some very long distance ultra high voltage transmission lines (a few million volts) because higher voltage means lower currents which means less loss to heat/resistance. Superconductors make that resistance zero.

3 Likes