The unblockable Elon Musk is not serious; it's time to move on

18 Likes

Twitter was “worth” 44 billion as a social network with like 300 million users. Threads will have like 100 million users in a week. Zuck just gave shareholders something to cheer about. (Though he obviously lit billions on fire trying to make the metaverse happen.)

2 Likes

The article is good through and through but one key point is that Meta is incapable of ‘killing’ other apps because Meta, as a whole, is dedicated to bland algorithmic scaling that’s an antithesis of culture. Twitter is something different. Someone said Twitter is like those ancient tribes that developed completly different mythologies, ran into each other, and annihilated each other, but happening every day on Twitter. There’s the ‘main person’ on Twitter, there’s dog piling, and bare moderation. It’s a completely different animal and one that Meta is probably incapable of mimicing in anything but the most superficial sense.

Twitter wasn’t profitable and probably couldn’t be very profitable but Jack, at least as a moderator, wasn’t half bad, compared to Zuck has been and would be and Elon was.

5 Likes

I have it as all these article bloviating about threads as being just pure haterade and they, like everyone else, have no idea how this will shake out

3 Likes

The Borg is just as big of a fraud and maybe even more dangerous. This is like a scenario of two Bond villains testing their super weapons against each other. I’m rooting for one of them to get incinerated by the other’s death ray, but that doesn’t mean I’m cheering on the “winner.” He could ultimately end up doing way more damage by clearing the field, so we’ll need him to take a carbon fiber submersible ride at some point for this whole thing to work out.

2 Likes

Yes true. Still I would think he wouldn’t want to flush his own cash down the shitter. But then like you said, metaverse :man_shrugging:

we haven’t had to go back in time, yet

1 Like

Stuff of nightmares. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

They’re clearly written by people primarily on twitter, which itself is a narrow, elitist demo, and don’t understand the massive success platforms like Insta and Tiktok have recently had.

https://twitter.com/BrynnTannehill/status/1677729150381981697?t=SX6umUeOyOpm87HhzYsmTQ&s=19

lol at Twitter moderation box

2 Likes

IMG_5424

1 Like

The podcast Hard Fork has an interview with the head of Instagram about Threads. I haven’t used it but one interesting thing that I hadn’t seen elsewhere is Threads is using the same open protocol as Mastodon (ActivityPub) so users will be able to change between those apps (or future competitors) and keep their followers. The Instagram guy at least paid decent lip service to seeing a lot of value in that.

1 Like

Not going to lie head of threads saying a lot of right things but he still works for Facebook so I am extremely suss.

3 Likes

Posted from Threads

3 Likes

gi62m9eubzab1

4 Likes

Hello mr bankman. I know I own my ballon payment of $1.2 billion but did you know Zuck is a cuck.

2 Likes