The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

f1768112-abaf-4899-83d0-518bdc3f2c83_text

2 Likes

I highly recommend the new season of Beavis and Butt-Head. Itā€™s really good. They donā€™t have a ton of video-watching segments, but my god, most of the ones that they do have are fantastic. Varying degrees of NSFW, but the last one is definitely NSFW:

3 Likes

You pretty much nailed it, bravo. I liked the season ending episode and where the series is going.

On your predictions for future seasons:

Even though I know the general timeline of events, I havenā€™t read the silmarillion so some of this may not make total sense:
I think next season will focus on the creation of the 7 rings for the dwarfs and the 9 for men. That way they can set up the creation of the one ring in season 3. Season 4 would be Numenor fighting back to capture Sauron but then becoming too proud and bringing on their destruction. The last season I agree would be the siege and war.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/ThatEricAlper/status/1580642086206189569

4 Likes

Lisa Groening was my kidā€™s middle school English teacher.

In other news, Linsanity doc on HBO+ (38 at the Garden) is A+++.

1 Like

Rihannaā€™s Savage X Fenty Show vol. 4 has an official Nov. 9 release date.

Yes, I am excited to watch another hour long commercial for underwear I will never buy and I feel no shame for this.

1 Like

:vince2:

In other news, Linsanity doc on HBO+ (38 at the Garden) is A+++.

Yes, very good.

Also, amazing that the warriors owner saw him play in high school and that was partial motivation for his initial signing in the NBA.

1 Like

LotR So basically Gandalf is a serial predator who has been luring hobbits into danger for thousands of years?

Itā€™s his MO. Did you read The Hobbit?

Yeah, but I figured the scope was limited to a couple generations of Bagginses. Heā€™s been at this for millennia!

He does the same thing in LoTR, actually. You Hobbits go on to Rivendell without me, Iā€™m sure nothing dangerous will happen! tbf, if makes sense that he doesnā€™t want to be around the ring.

Iā€™m basically liking the Rings show. I wouldnā€™t recommend it for anyone other than huge LoTR nerds, but Iā€™m definitely going to stay with it. I think the storytelling is difficult because Galadriel is sort of the main character but also sheā€™s deliberately obnoxious and bloodthirsty. Adar seeing himself as a just guy trying to create a place for his people is a fun twist. All the scenes with Durin and his father give me feels, if nothing else the soundtrack is A++.

4 Likes

I feel like I am viewing all these shows wrong that take sacred cannon and try to ā€œaddā€ to the gaps in the prequel mythology. All I feel compelled to do is continuously cross-reference every beat with the cannon to understand what the additions are and whether theyā€™re stupid or not. Itā€™s like a weird anxiety based on a combination of not totally remembering everything instinctively and a heavy bias towards a well-earned assumption that they are just fucking it all up because who the fuck even are they.

Like, the show is not just an adaptation, so there is creative overlay predicated on a presumption that the audience puts these writers on a certain qualified level that I personally havenā€™t yet. I canā€™t just chill and enjoy this for what it is because Iā€™m so skeptical.

Is a hallucinogenic knife battle/marriage proposition between Galadriel and Sauron really in keeping with both ME lore and Tolkienā€™s story telling style?

It take a minute to work that out in my mind which detracts from the rest of it. Itā€™s weird uncomfortable viewing, hopefully they prove themselves after doing it all and I can re-watch it without being a spazz. Again I know I am doing this wrong probably and I canā€™t say itā€™s a bad show. Superficially at least itā€™s ridiculously impressive and very immersive.

Just finished Industry. I have some questions.

1. Why was Eric covering Harperā€™s expenses at the hotel? And then after that why does he decide to get her terminated.

2. Canā€™t Harper just play the sexual harassment card now that they are terminating her?

3. Is Yasmin back at FX or is she just out of Pierpoint entirely.

1. A central theme of the show is that these people thrive on making everything transactional. Eric can only live with a set of people in his sphere of influence that he can transact with. The firm didnā€™t want Harper to keep working remotely, but Eric wants her around so he can use her in trades. The characters on this show view relationships as trades.
  2. The show makes it very clear that sexual harassment claims go nowhere at Pierpoint. And she also did a bunch of sketchy trading activity on the floor, if she gets into a tit-for-tat exchange with Pierpoint she canā€™t win that. Itā€™s Pierpointā€™s entire HR and Compliance departments against her.
  3. I donā€™t think this was made clear. Her whole life basically fell apart in the last couple of episodes. Iā€™m sure sheā€™ll land on her feet somewhere.

Seems like you have yourself figured out. Sounds a bit too gatekeeper-y, leaving you unable to enjoy new things based on previous media I assume you hold in very high regard.

I share your view to a certain degree, but actively tried to supress the gatekeeper in me. Some media obviously cross several bridges too far (looking at you Hobbit trilogy with Legolas the machine gun archer and an elven/dwarven relationship), but I donā€™t think this show goes too far. Is it the best ever? Clearly no, but still very enjoyable even as a fairly serious Tolkien nerd (prob read the book 10+ times, Silmarillon three times and watch the trilogy every other x-mas).

Also,

Sauron is obviously known for manipulating the minds of others. The writers took pretty hefty liberties but Iā€™ll give them a passā€¦barely.

Also also:

3 Likes

Re 2, I asked the same question when I finished watching a couple of weeks ago, especially since . They fired her the day after she reported the harassment
I also didnā€™t understand why Eric still has a job without her and Bloom or whatever his name was

Yeah, that other thing you wrote is also a mystery to me.

Who watches The Watcher?

2 eps in and not sure if like. I am a big Bobby C fan but this is too creepy for me I think.

HOTD

Hahahahhahahahaha. What a fucking idiotic ending. Dragon fire canā€™t melt plot armor.

2 Likes