The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

HOTD:

Ah, I was wondering when we would get to the episode written by the sex maniacs

Just watched the Donaghy netflix doc.

They really give way, way too much credit to him and the other assorted scumbags and drag the NBA through the coals. Weird that they give the hero edit to the people who went to jail and the only thing they can offer up for why the NBA itself is fixing games is “more playoff games equals more revenue” when it’s a absolute drop in the bucket of their TV deals.

2 Likes

HOTD is feeling very PG-13. It’s kind of pissing me off.

LOL, I went on reddit and all the comments are about how pleasantly surprised they are that things are being done tastefully now.

Except that some of the reddit rats think that Criston was raped which was not cool

how is it that people who work on shows don’t get residuals from streaming but it saves HBO money to delete shows from their catalog? I assume these are shows that are licensed and could therefore be picked up by another streamer? But I guess the real question is A) who’s getting those licensing fees and B) how did they figure out a way to stop paying residuals to actors/crew yet keep the fees flowing to their own pockets

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2022/09/07/streaming-tv-changes-crisis/

btw if you’re not using GitHub - iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome: Bypass Paywalls web browser extension for Chrome and Firefox. you should be!

Wasn’t there like a year and a half long writers strike all about streaming?

Is it just the writers getting paid for that?

I would like a show like GoT should be brutal and graphic because that’s how that time was.

3 Likes

That time that had dragons?

9 Likes

HOTD

When the Sea Snake, his son, and brother were on the island with Daemon, why weren’t there any other black fighters besides them? All I saw were white guys and a few random asian guys. If the king is black, shouldn’t there be black people in that kingdom?

In book canon House Velaryon are not black, that’s a show invention, but it makes sense that they are ethnically distinct from their subjects. Like House Targaryen, the Velaryons are from Valyria before the Doom (which is why they’re able to ride dragons), so they are essentially colonists in Westeros.

I don’t think the Velaryons were ever dragonriders they’re a house of ships and the sea but yeah they were one of the old powerful houses from Valyria. They should look similar to the Targaryens but I suppose that would have confused people

According to George R. R. Martin, yes.

https://twitter.com/MJMcKean/status/1569516959859101698

https://twitter.com/odenhead/status/1569490564915122177

3 Likes

I didn’t win this year, but just letting you know I was on an Emmy-nominated show.

5 Likes

Yeah I guess their dragonrider ability circa the Dance is thanks to intermarriage with the Targs.

Did Rhea not fucking win?

God, suck all of the dicks academy, fuck

1 Like

She lost to Julia fucking Gardener? I had her like, 5th on my power ranking for that category.

Im so bummed. I know she gets one more shot, but the second half of the season was not particularly heavy with Kim scenes aside from the bus breakdown.

Damn

and Garner has already won twice before this year…c’mon man

BCS was shut out.

Big winners (going from memory based on names that I saw multiple times) were Ted Lasso, Succession, Squid Game, White Lotus, and Abbott Elementary. White Lotus, in particular, cleaned up.

I’d have liked Brian Cox to have won over Lee Jung-jae.

Industry

We have had a lifetime’s worth of Kenny scenes at this point.