The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Like “The Star Trek Wars” in futurama

Not to be confused with “the Star Wars Trek”

2 Likes

The only person who seems to be mad is the guy who isn’t a big fan.

1 Like

I was also a bit confused by the rabid Tolkien fandom. Like I read LoTR 20 years ago and watched all the movies, but barely know any of this stuff.

Then I realized half my wardrobe, 4 podcasts a week, most of my time online, and at least 3 hours every Sunday, is dedicated to a shitty football team.

4 Likes

As someone whose reading is 95% fantasy I keep telling myself I should read LOTR but everytime I finish a book I find something else to read instead. Haven’t seen the movies either but I think I’d opt to read first.

Thought industry was pretty bad. The Sloan stuff was just ridiculous. Need a Yasmin spin off!

Yeah I agree. Of course they weren’t going to leave Eric out to pasture. Him and Harper start a firm?

1 Like

PSA: If aren’t currently subscribed to Disney plus you can subscribe now to get 1 month for $1.99.

https://twitter.com/DisneyPlus/status/1567724410391470081

The trailer for The Peripheral looks like an incoherent mess. People need to stop trying to adapt William Gibson material.

1 Like

Wow, just finished The Rehearsal. One of the most genius shows I’ve ever seen.

That last episode:

1. As someone who has done a lot of background extra work, that birthday party scene hit me HARD.

2. I felt so bad for that little kid who wanted Nathan to be his daddy. Poor kid.

3. The kid with the glasses who played 9-year-old Adam is a fantastic actor. Hope he made some bank.

4 Likes

Yeah, the brilliance of the silent extra birthday party gets overlooked in the more depressing elements of S6, but holy shit its funny.

I’m so bad at pretending to have a conversation when I’m background. I usually devolve into just nodding my head and mouthing “yeah!” The lady who was pantomiming how big Adam had grown would have been me. Whenever I can, I try to come up with an entire conversation ahead of time with the person I’m with in the scene so it looks more natural. Even then, it usually is awkward, like if I have a drink, I always come back to the “cheers” motion, like a dumb pud.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever been on a set where they wanted us to clap and we had to pantomime it. It would be too obviously fake. The big thing is talking. Here in Georgia, 98% of productions use non-SAG background, so it’s not that we aren’t allowed to speak because of some union rules, but rather because they would be required to pay us more. I don’t know exactly how much, but I’ve heard it’s low four figures if you get a line (I almost did…once).

But something like clapping is different. It’s just sound. For instance, they insert zombie noises in post-production on Walking Dead, but there have been a couple times where they told us to just make the sounds ourselves, as we were a big horde and I guess it would sound good with so many of us. Most of the time, though, you have to try not to make sounds, as the mics pick everything up. The trickiest is in restaurant scenes.

On Anchorman 2, there was one part where we were allowed to talk, as it was going to be unintelligible background chatter. The director said there was a specific name for this kind of speaking, joking, “The point is that we don’t have to pay you extra for it.”

Feeling bold, I replied, “You don’t have to, but you can…”

Fortunately, he thought that was funny.

1 Like

Walla?

1 Like

Are these non-SAG background on SAG productions (that’s a thing, somehow)? If so, it’s still a union rule that would require you to get paid differently if you have lines. Otherwise if it’s totally non-union I don’t know why they’d be required to pay you more, since there wouldn’t be any rules other than the terms under which you were hired.

Yeah, they’re SAG productions, but background is almost always non-SAG. I did just see a background casting call this week looking for SAG members, but that’s rare here.

The upside is that there are lots of opportunities because you don’t have to be a member of SAG. The downside is that, from what I hear, we get paid a lot less than in, say, L.A. The pandemic did cause pay to increase, though.

The way it generally works is that the production agrees to hire X people as SAG, and then they get to hire X more people non-union. SAG national is pretty easy to push around, and regional offices even moreso. So the deal is certainly favorable to production. In addition to the money, there are working conditions in the SAG contract that I know they really don’t like to follow, since they skirt those rules even on SAG jobs.

Loved LOTR Ep. 3. It’s quickly catching up to HOTD. Both are pretty good imo.

The hobbits are annoying though.

2 Likes

Industry can be really great at times, especially Yasmine/Rob/Eric, but most of the stuff involving Harper is cringy/too far fetched.

This is objectively true, but I don’t find it too hard to suspend disbelief. On the one hand, Pierpoint must have the worst compliance department in history to allow Harper to keep making illegal trades. On the other hand, I’ve met compliance people in the real world and most of them get browbeaten into saying that the company never does anything wrong.