The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

someone explain the “shadow docket” plz

“Because fuck you, that’s why”

6 Likes

The docket involves those cases which are argued before the Court, which issues an opinion. The shadow docket involves the Supreme Court exercising power without going through that process. It’s like the President exercising power through executive orders without going through Congress. It is a legitimate power but it has been exercised in an unprecedented way in recent years as a workaround to accomplish things that are difficult to do via normal means.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1433288644652060674

A lot of " liberal " reporters and lawyers need their asses kicked

1 Like

JR shoring up those favorable numbers among shitlibs.

2 Likes

I still get so infuriated every time I remember that RGB could have retired in 2012 when she was 107 years old, but insisted on staying on the bench until she died. Totally fucked the country, and women, for decades to come. Great job!

3 Likes

I still blame Hillary for losing.

1 Like

It’s extremely uncomfortable for people to acknowledge that every single person who accomplishes a lot as viewed through the lens of reaching a place of status is a huge piece of shit, because there are so many pitfalls in the way of success where you are given opportunities to act like a decent human being and you have to reject every chance.

Some of these people aren’t truly terrible, but they sure are massively compromised and possess a flexible moral compass. And overwhelmingly look out for themselves to a degree that isn’t healthy for society.

This might make it seem as if I am diminishing people who reach the upper echelons. I am not. It is extremely difficult. There are many, many shitty people that never make it.

Brought to you by my own insecurities regarding underachievement.

7 Likes

What if Democratic voters are part of the problem?

https://twitter.com/MattGrossmann/status/1401687505804660738

Nice little roadmap for future laws here, next up $10,000 bounty for being undocumented and have ICE set up camp outside civil court when Trump takes back over in 2025

Even a nice ready made loophole for the rich. Yeah paying 10k sucks but they can still clean up their messes. Just stops abortion for the poor.

3 Likes

I mean it starts with media, and the justices themselves. Conservative justices have screamed about liberal judicial activism for ever, so did the politicians, and so did right wing media. So naturally conservative voters cared about it a lot.

Liberal justices, media, and politicians constantly talked about justice being non political, saying the court is bi partisan etc. So naturally the voters don’t care.

The reality is conservative justices serve the rich and powerful, and the rich and powerful control the media and our politicians, so all of them are fine with a conservative court.

I do think you make a good point about how powerful of a tool rage is. The left needs to be outraged about everything thats happening and like 90% don’t care now that Trump is gone.

1 Like

Hey we could apply this to current situations. OK, so the government won’t mandate vaccinations… but how about a law that says any citizen can sue any other citizen under suspicion of being unvaccinated? Then the law puts the burden on the accused of proving they’re vaccinated.

1 Like

Super long cliffs:

• The new law doesn’t TECHNICALLY make abortion illegal. It says that (a) they should not be performed after about 6 weeks [which is before many people even know they’re pregnant, btw] and (b) anyone who performs one or otherwise helps someone get an abortion can be sued in civil court by any non government official who wants to bring the lawsuit (the person suing does not necessarily have to have any connection to the person who had the abortion)

• The out of state thing is speculation about whether someone who helped a person in Texas get out of the state to get an abortion could be held liable in civil court. State courts usually don’t have jurisdiction over out of state stuff, but there will almost certainly be some lawsuit filed by someone especially if the conception occurred in Texas, the person who had the abortion lived in Texas, the “helper” lived in Texas, and the “assistance” (giving $, buying a plane ticket, etc) happened in Texas.

• The reason why everybody is suing everybody is because of the unique way the bill was written. In many laws, some government official or agency is responsible for enforcement. So, if you want to challenge the constitutionality of the law, you name whoever is responsible for enforcement (the Governor, the President, the local school board, etc.) as the defendant in your lawsuit. This law explicitly states that no government official will enforce it (the only mechanism is the civil lawsuit by private citizens). So, according to the argument by supporters of the law, there is no way for the clinics that perform abortions to bring a preemptive case to have the law declared unconstitutional because there is no state action and because you don’t know who is “enforcing” the law until a specific lawsuit is brought. At best, they argue, you have to go ahead and perform the abortion, get sued, and then maybe you can raise the constitutional issues then [and even here, the law is written in a very precise way to try to make that arguement difficult]. Potentially having to litigate all of these issues individually in each separate abortion costs time and money, so rather than take the risk, providers have already started turning away people who are past the 6 week mark.

Tl/dr: Texas law tries to stop abortions not by directly making them illegal, but by authorizing civil lawsuits. SCOTUS majority basically pulled a raised by wolves act by focusing on the legal technicalities of the law (who has standing, what is the enforcement mechanism) rather than the impact [a practical ban on almost all abortions in the state].

25 Likes

So can a rapist collect an abortion bounty or is that still frowned upon?

1 Like

The woman’s body shoulda known a way to shut that down, so it’s fair game imo.

1 Like

If nothing else, this law/ruling is at least teaching people the weird math of pregnancy weeks that I didn’t understand at all until our first kid.

You are X weeks pregnant if it’s been X weeks since your last period - WTF is that?

1 Like

heh yeah it’s a little weird, but you don’t really know when conception is.

You used “standing” correctly, but given that the people who get to decide who actually has standing are the same people who are letting this bullshit law slide because of a totally ridiculous workaround, it’s not obvious that they will grant that injured parties have standing in a good faith manner. Thus, by asserting people will actually have standing, you’re assuming the conclusion that this will actually generate some sort of concrete ruling rather than continued non-rulings that overturn Roe without overturning Roe.

@bestof, because good, concise summaries deserve some love.

7 Likes