The Supreme Court: Playing Calvinball and going on free trips since 1789

“Today,
we must decide whether an employer can fire someone
simply for being homosexual or transgender. The answer
is clear. An employer who fires an individual for being homosexual or transgender fires that person for traits or actions it would not have questioned in members of a different
sex. Sex plays a necessary and undisguisable role in the
decision, exactly what Title VII forbids.”

That’s Gorsuch writing apparently.

5 Likes

The derpers are gonna be frothing hard on Gorsuch. If he dunks on Trump in the tax returns case he will basically have gone full Souter.

Rapey McDrunkface right on track to be a WOAT-level slurper for the next 40 years.

8 Likes

Saw on SCOTUS blog

While we wait for the next one, Justice Gorsuch succeeded Justice Scalia, who wrote years ago that Title VII applied to a same-sex sexual harassment suit.

Interesting.

This is so good.

Jesus, the fact that Alito, Thomas, and Kav are willing to be on the wrong side of history in such an obvious slam dunk of a case really speaks to the level of human scum that those 3 are.

9 Likes

“This Gorsuch guy, never met him. Barely even heard of him. Someone said I should nominate him, not sure who.”

6 Likes

Is the Trump tax case ruling expected today?

No, prob not until July

Both Kavanaugh and Alito so mad they wrote separate dissents, apparently. Still can’t get it to load.

3 Likes

Kavanaugh trying to salvage his bigotry:

“Notwithstanding my concern about the Court’s transgression of the Constitution’s separation of powers, it is appropriate to acknowledge the important victory achieved today by gay and lesbian Americans. Millions of gay and
lesbian Americans have worked hard for many decades to
achieve equal treatment in fact and in law. They have exhibited extraordinary vision, tenacity, and grit—battling often steep odds in the legislative and judicial arenas, not to
mention in their daily lives. They have advanced powerful
policy arguments and can take pride in today’s result. Under the Constitution’s separation of powers, however, I believe that it was Congress’s role, not this Court’s, to amend
Title VII. I therefore must respectfully dissent from the Court’s judgement”

3 Likes

this is a decent summary of the cases

1 Like

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1272535009765834752

3 Likes

Thank God Rapey believes in Seperation of Power. Looking forward to him using that argument with regards to Trump’s taxes/trying to end 2020 election.

Yikes.

The second was brought by a skydiving instructor, Donald Zarda, who also said he was fired because he was gay. His dismissal followed a complaint from a female customer who had expressed concerns about being strapped to Mr. Zarda during a tandem dive. Mr. Zarda, hoping to reassure the customer, told her that he was “100 percent gay.”

Mr. Zarda died in a 2014 skydiving accident, and his estate pursued his case.

That’s a great precedent to set for the court that discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity is in fact discrimination based on sex.

1 Like

Yeah, that aspect of the opinion uses more general language than I would have expected, which I think is only a good thing.

1 Like

I feel like this is a decision to throw a bone to the majority of the country on a high profile issue with clear public support in order to cool some of the heat on the Supreme Court while it continues to advance extreme positions on more fundamental issues with broader consequences, such as separation of powers and the administrative state.

Still, they threw us a bone, and it’s only proper to enjoy it.

2 Likes

I am happy that the decision will really piss off catholic conservatives and the Federalist Society, who think law should be modeled on their conception of sin. They know if Trump doesn’t win in 2020 then their 40 year project has largely reached it high water mark.

https://twitter.com/JaneMayerNYer/status/1272539182074925062?s=20

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1272538084370984960?s=20