The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

Argh, is anyone really saying that activists should stop using that slogan? Who are people arguing with?

Activists should use whatever slogans they want. They have skin in the game.

Politicians (in most cases) should not be expected to embrace slogans that will prevent them from being elected, even if they should obviously be pushed to support good legislation.

This is like I feel like I’m taking crazy pills territory.

3 Likes

The unfair reality is that right wing media will take the least politically popular activist slogan/behavior and successfully tie it to all Democratic politicians. Which, like, who cares, granted.

But “defund the police” is just an own goal. Nobody is saying “don’t advocate for police reform,” we’re saying “don’t use a politically toxic slogan that gains you absolutely nothing.”

1 Like

Rogan is a lot of things but incurious is absolutely not one of them. Dude is more curious than 99% of humans.

Sweet article bro

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1371864177338421252?s=21

Yep. You presented strong evidence.

It’s the most superficial kind of curiosity though. Has he ever demonstrated learning anything? Just saying “I don’t know what do you think?” is supposed to be the first step a person takes on an intellectual pursuit, not the last step.

2 Likes

“Gay Marriage” was unpopular including Obama being against it at the beginning of his first presidency. In short order, gay marriage being legal became inevitable. Is “Defund the Police” like that? It seems like something a patchouli oil smelling granola muncher would say. But maybe as it becomes understood what it means, it’s popularity will make it inevitable.

2 Likes

The more important evidence is your Canadian school deciding cops are worth including on Heroes Day.

1 Like

own goal? a lot of the activists who want to defund the police are not democrats

3 Likes

“Abolish” and “defund” are too strong. “Reform” is to weak. The word you are looking for is “revamp”.

3 Likes

Police the police

Make a sign with that slogan and a drawing of the Statue of Liberty kneeling on a cop’s head.

5 Likes

But who will police the police policing the police?

Hunter should be special envoy regarding the Trump family criminal enterprise.

1 Like

1 Like

I think the argument isn’t what activists should or will do, that ship has sailed.

The argument is that if DTP is a mixed bag on this particular corner of the internet it is probably not the most effective message for achieving the goals of its adherents.

2 Likes

Gay marriage was a civil rights issue.

Defunding or significantly changing the public safety apparatus is different in kind.

defund the police is a civil rights issue for the ones calling for it

5 Likes

Defunding the police is a civil rights issue. We have millions of people locked up in the Prison Industrial Complex. Those people’s civil rights are being violated. The police are the front line goon squad that feeds people into that system. On top of that the police as an institution were created to serve & protect private property and the privilege of the wealthy. The police enforce the system that says private profits>people’s health, education, ecology. That is a civil rights issue. Throughout US history, the police are the people that have fought against the people demanding civil rights. They are the goon squad, the enforcers of injustice.

6 Likes

I want to be clear: do you think prisons should be defunded as well to lead to abolishment? Or just that the prisons should be much less derelict than they are at present?