The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

Manchin is our Murkowski; ACB is their Sinema

This is my understanding. Not so much as itā€™s not constitutional but that the conditions outlined for remedy in the Congressā€™ intent no longer exist.

So if congress passes new definition of the conditions requiring remedy (limiting states power to limit voting) then that should pass muster.

Unless the ruling was all just a Scooby-Doo mask worn over a Klan hood.

Doesnā€™t the old VRA treat southern states differently, and that is what the court struck down? Like Georgia or wherever had to pre-clear changes to voting laws with the Department of Justice because they had a history of discrimination but New York or wherever didnā€™t?

Assuming so, there is still a good chance they donā€™t strike down a new law that treats all states equally. I think worst case they say certain aspects of the new law are federal overreach and let the rest stand.

Yes that was my recollection of the issue, just make it to where it affects all states, it will only be a problem for GOP controlled ones.

https://www.axios.com/joe-manchin-infrastructure-bill-c8408e99-17f3-4477-b5df-8e3d537c0bd9.html

Manchin said that with just a few concessions, it would have been possible to get some Republicans on the COVID relief package that passed the Senate this weekend on a party-line vote. And he said heā€™ll block Bidenā€™s next big package ā€” $2 trillion to $4 trillion for climate and infrastructure ā€” if Republicans arenā€™t included.

His pay fors arent bad, repealing the Trump give backs to the wealthy, but just the mindset is still so asymmetrical. When Dems have power have to be bipartisan and HoW dO wE pAy FoR iT. When Reps have power, deficits dont matter and elections have consequences.

Sorry dont know why that bolded

5 Likes

I donā€™t think so. From my understanding there was a very specific formula saying if you had low registration and low voting percentages you got added onto the list. I think New York even had a county added on at some point.

And if your county showed they did well they got removed.

It was just mostly southern states because they did most of the voter suppression.

Could be wrong.

Quick googled turned up this. Looks like most states were affected

Well those Manchin hot takes sure arenā€™t aging well.

2 Likes

lol this guy. Just like the ACA, make dems give away a ton to win over some rep votes and then get zero and they attack the bill non stop anyways.

He canā€™t actually believe this, so hopefully heā€™s just talking shit.

2 Likes

Ehh. I donā€™t think itā€™s that extreme. If it was, Trump would be POTUS right now. I mean Trump was screaming they would overturn the election. And conservative judges appointed by Trump were laughing at Rudyā€™s lawsuits and tossing them. The only case they won was to bring poll watchers closer. Thatā€™s it. 1-60 or whatever it was is not conservatives trying to hold onto power.

No one shits on the Dems more than you, but as long as you shit on someone like tabbaker for doing it you still count as a serious person.

5 Likes

19 Likes

Manchin clearly knows there will be zero Republican support no matter whats in the bill. This is just what he does.

He got behind the $1.9T bill with a bunch of meaningless grandstanding along the way. Heā€™s not going to block infrastructure.

Focus your attention and rage at the crazy lady in AZ.

3 Likes

Thats why I compared her more to roberts. They arenā€™t going to do something that completely loses them 100% of their credibility. They have to walk a line to appear to be neutral to passing observers. If they had overturned the election that would have been over and the country would have been completely torn apart.

I suggest you give 5-4 podcast a listen. They lay it out clear as day how fucked up the court is, reading their opinions, pointing out their hypocrisy, and even show their strategies over the long run.

They do not operate in good faith at all.

The formatting issue is because of the row of dashes.

The climate/infrastructure bill wonā€™t be done via reconciliation, so heā€™s just stating the truth that it needs Republican support to pass and heā€™s going to side with Republicans if issues important to West Virginiaā€™s coal industry arenā€™t addressed to his satisfaction. Heā€™s ultimately going to vote in his stateā€™s economic interests over environmental concerns.

Nuking stimulus for 18 million Americans, stripping the minimum wage hike from the bill and decreasing the weekly UE benefit does not seem meaningless to me. He was part of the reason that happened. Obviously Sinema and maybe some others were too.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1368968862738362373

lmao CLOWNS

15 Likes

They clearly are going to try to nibble away at it. There is going to be a huge push to end it for the voting rights act. Whether it works, who knows, probably comes down to the crazy lady. Iā€™d bet against it.

They were never going to do a full nuke.

the bigger issue is it sounds like they are resting on their laurels

how many judges have been appointed? by far the most important thing Biden needs to do before 2022 (outside of the COVID aid/voting rights)

2 Likes

I just realized Mitch is going to drag out judges and appointments until like 2021. Honestly because of this stupid power sharing shit weā€™re going to have a hell of a time appointing judges, getting through a talking filibuster for VRA, and infrastructure.

Requiring a talking filibuster allows Republicans to shut down the Senate, with the collateral damage of blocking floor votes of judicial nominations and any other legislation.

Breaking the filibuster might require Republicans making a procedural error if they are committed enough, which might require a pickax through the skull of a procedural wizard like Mitch McConnell.