The Presidency of the Joes: more like INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

Sounds dangerous for them, they’d hold the bill up plus you know damn well the entire democratic party plus the media would instantly blame them for everything.

Why? It’s only $1400. Someone making $90K ain’t asking for a paycut.

I’ll live without the extra cash, but I’m just exasperated with this latest development because our AGI in 2019 was right at the upper end of that 150k-160k range. With this change, we’d go from still getting 75-80% of the money, to probably getting some amount like $44 that’s almost more insulting than getting $0.

Id even be fine with lower cutoffs, messaging problems be damned, if this bill was giving a more robust safety net to essential/low wage workers and the unemployed. Seems we are doing the bare minimum there too. Not great.

I hate to sound like a broken record but the Dems are built from the top down as a loser organization. It’s purposeful. Lowering the amount of people who get stimulus? Going from $2000 to $1400? Why? What do they get out of it? It’s self sabotage just like it always is.

2 Likes

And the number of R votes this phaseout change is going to garner is exactly 0 (well 1 depending on how you count Manchin).

@bestof for the current thread title. Jfc.

I’m still in better to live with him camp cause pretty much anyone else from WV wouldn’t be D at all so nothing would get done at all.

3 Likes

“Defund the police” connotates lawlessness to most demographics. Yes the right will demonize whatever they can however they can, I understand. People want to be safe above just about everything. They believe police keep them safe. The left slogan says no police. Defund = no police = brown people chaos and lawlessness.

The alternative is police reform. It connotes change not abolishment. Won’t get the same emotional outrage. Not as slogany for the left, but defund has limited returns with a big downside from my anecdotal experience.

1 Like

Sure but at least it’s a nice, slow, gradual downhill situation like a Roman aqueduct, then in 2024 shit just drops straight down.

2 Likes

For a family of 5, its $7k.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

https://twitter.com/jstein_wapo/status/1367173846688759813?s=21

https://twitter.com/jstein_wapo/status/1367164931183902720?s=21

1 Like

https://twitter.com/ariberman/status/1367179060179304459?s=21

6 Likes

Klobuchar’s gonna staple her theses to the door of the Senate chamber

1 Like

What if we already filed 2020?

1 Like

They are addicted to the feeling that they are being mature and thoughtful about public policy. They desperately need to believe in their own importance. Their whole identity is tied up in a self image based on deliberative technocratic horse trading on policy. I mean, if its really as simple as giving everyone $2,000 that would mean all their various degrees from various elite schools and their conferences in Barcelona and their internships at think tanks are all completely worthless. That can’t be right!

8 Likes

Random question: if Dems try to do a bill through reconciliation and then lose the the vote do Dems get to do another one during the fiscal year or do they burn it?

I think they burn it because after McCain stone colded the healthcare reform Reps were done for the year.

That said we get a 2nd one this year regardless and another one next year and then never have control again in our lifetimes.

In a generation the failure to pass DC statehood and voting rights is going to look like one of the stupidest most inexplicable failures imaginable.

Eager HS student: so the Democrats had the house senate and White House and chose to do nothing while the Republicans telegraphed extreme gerrymandering and voter suppression?

Teacher: yep

Student: If it was so obvious what was going to happen why didn’t they do anything?

Teacher: Congrats you’re smarter than two US Senators in 2021

7 Likes

Also, WTF at passing unemployment at $400 per week, which is more than someone gets working full time under the minimum wage the same bill doesn’t increase. If that’s an amount you think people need to survive, at least raise the minimum wage to that amount!

Fuck off, Democrats. Just awful. I want so badly not to be whine and moan and complain about shitlibs but this shit is just indefensible. I don’t know why I keep paying attention, it is a sickness.

11 Likes

They’re the majority. They can make up whatever rules they want. So, it’s up to President Manchin.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/ariberman/status/1367179060179304459?s=21

I guess an optimist would see hope in even centrist binder throwing shitlibs like Klob getting on board so quickly.