The Oscars and Emmys and Golden Globe discussion thread

I’ve got Parasite year as the only one that has an argument against this year’s field in the expansion era. I think this year attained higher highs and I tend to be inclined to give it the nod, but it’s incredibly close. I’ve got Spotlight’s field rounding out the podium, but without being particularly competitive with the two years I’ve named. Of course, I might feel differently about it being uncompetitive if I got to watch this actually good rendition of Fury Road that everyone else seems to have been able to get their hands on.

https://twitter.com/EarvLikes/status/1765956203895812525?t=MJP3uY419nenqlTQ03ly6g&s=19

3 Likes

Oh that I thought it was a reference to something else my bad

Parasite and Marriage Story are outstanding. 1917 a hair below. The other 6 movies are very good, but I’d stop short of calling them great. I’ll give the year credit for having perhaps the best “worst movie” of any other year in the past decade.

Upon review, I definitely goofed in putting 2014 ahead of it.

I give an 8+ to 7 of the 9 films from that year, with Jojo Rabbit on the borderline. And yeah, agree, Joker being the weakest in the field and still having a really strong lead performance to recommend it is almost certainly my best worst movie in these fields as well.

I’m especially impressed when a movie like 1917 is able to land as well as it did for me since my attitude going in is usually, “, another one of these Oscar-nominated war movies. Whatever.” But this is definitely one of the better ones.

Didn’t work. Gladstone was delightful on Maron and was of course really strong in Killers of the Flower Moon, but I don’t care; she simply didn’t have the best lead actress performance this year.

Give Emma the damn trophy please.

If anyone happens to know of a river, I would be obliged.

Kimmel killing it as the host? Huh.

When the Jo Koy thing happened, I wondered, “Is it just that all awards monologues are horrible and I’ve forgotten?” But no. Loving this.

The intro to animated shorts is all feature length films lol

Don’t think Boy and Heron over Spiderverse was the right call

2 Likes

It’s not, but it is the classic sentimental Oscar

I thought Kimmel has been good every time he has hosted

I generally always like him fine, but I thought this was some standout stuff.

Oh God they are playing that damn song

And the robberies continue

No issues with Anatomy winning, but it’s a bummer that Past Lives’s only real shot at winning a trophy just exited stage left.

Sadly past lives was drawing dead.

Gonna tap out I think. Past lives is the only film I cared about seeing the result. Post if someone slaps someone. lol

I think that was something of an upset by Poor Things. Hopefully not the last one.

As far as I can tell, RDJ just thanked the creatives at Oppenheimer for “surrounding him with” a great cast. You’re part of the supporting cast, my man.

1 Like

Barbie on Broadway is going to be huge