The morality and ethics of buying groceries during a pandemic

Legit non-trolling question: If those workers appreciate the job/tip, especially in this moment, does that come into the equation? Or is it still more appropriate to say, Naaw, you’re a cog. You not getting this pittance will be better in the long run… ??

1 Like

The math isn’t easy and it could go either way. I’m not mad at people who make different choices than I do, so long as they try to make an informed choice.

This is the reason why some people justify corporate bailouts: because if you don’t help corporations, then it’s the people at the bottom who will lose jobs and get crushed. Should we hold up a stimulus bill because too much aid is going to the 1% even if it means that the people who need help, especially in this moment, won’t get that help in a timely manner? I’m fine with staying firm and having some principles, but I can understand why other people might say that we just have to grit our teeth and accept some outcomes that we don’t like so that we can get aid out the door faster.

There’s no nice, easy way to construct society.

1 Like

Huh? I hate grocery stores and would take random box of food dropped at my door in a heartbeat if I really had the option.

3 Likes

It’s not that simple, none of my posts on this subject are about just me personally and when I go to the store I’m not going to the store for myself. And I’m not going to get you on the phone with my mother.

And I think your analysis is wrong, though whatever, that happens.

But genuinely thanks for the offer.

1 Like

I don’t even believe the first sentence is necessarily true just as far as virus transmission is concerned. It’s true as an average and part of a discussion on public policy, but the studies you’re talking about are about averages and public policy and not a comparison of Jbro’s trip to the store and ordering from Costco.

And that’s just virus transmission. When ten million people are standing in food lines* because of the shutdowns the calculus of the best public policy will be quite different.

*in the US - 100 million people in the world not bothering with lines because there’s nothing to distribute

You had a good run, huh?

Honestly didn’t see people going the “But i’m a job creator!” route.

1 Like

hahaha jwax keyboard go brrr

Now that I’ve moved this dumpster fire I can unsubscribe from it.

4 Likes

Totally right. Guess you’ll be punching your ticket for Donald Trump then

1 Like

wat

They don’t HAVE a solution.
They NEVER have a solution.

When I say, “Lets fucking go, how do we organize all of the poor people into voluntarily giving up pay and possibly being evicted/having no food to eat in order to commence a general strike?” Not one single fucking person of the Jwax/NBZ/Birdman ilk can give me a functional fucking answer.

But when I say “Hey we should probably choose this guy we don’t really like in our binary choice for president because it will fucking make things better than they are right this moment” I get the fucking scorn and ridicule of a thousand suns for being a capitalist pig cog bougie bastard.

Fuck you and your high horse bullshit, guys. We give a damn about the world and just because we aren’t willing to light our hair on fire without an actual fucking PLAN doesn’t mean we don’t.

3 Likes

Im not sure what it says about me that my dreams would involve oreos and ice cream over bananas and garlic, but I’m guessing its our 100-150 pound difference.

2 Likes

I think that was grizly, actually.

Yeah, uh, pointing out a burger you cook at home or get in a nice restaurant doesn’t have magically different nutritional properties had nothing to do with “supporting” McDs. I can count on one hand the times I’ve eaten McDs in my adult life.

p.s. And lol that’s not an angleshot because of something like “I’m a Burger King man myself!”

3 Likes

In my case, it is a long-standing refusal to participate in the gig economy whenever possible. I’m not taking away money from Instacart shoppers by refusing to use their services because I never gave them money in the first place. I’m not going to start using it now.

It’s like how I refuse to get involved with Bitcoin because of moral objections to it, which causes me some trouble because my primary income is poker and I live in a state without online regulated poker.

Nobody has ever willingly said this

I recall grizy insisting that Mickey D’s is healthy food because you could just order a salad and water and that was the last time I ever took him seriously about anything.

1 Like