The Homestead Thread

About the same as we use. Not very much by USA standards.

If you can do grid-tied about 3kw of solar would do it. If you are off-grid it’s more, maybe as much as double, because you have to provide for the time of year with the least solar rather than just the average.

2 Likes

Grid-tied is an option here. Some sort of financing should be available too.

Very cool that quite a few UPers are considering homesteading.

1 Like

In if Canada

1 Like

bought the encyclopedia and it arrived in the mail yesterday

I’ve been skimming through it and it’s got a lot of info in it. I’m moving into a new rent house and not getting internet so going to binge hard on books when I do.

Another thing you mentioned up thread. I’m probably the poorest person itt but land is pretty affordable when financed. If shit gets bad enough then that piece of paper wont matter so I’m not too worried about it.

Order for me right now is Books → Firearm → Land.

1 Like

I just skimmed through the first few pages, but it would be such an adventure. I’ve got a van I could manage out of and enough money to buy some land. I think I’ve got enough aptitude and the constitution for it.

Get out and network amongst the locals. Work 16-hour days and feel ‘good’ tired.

Interesting that some women that thought they were infertile, immediately got preggers after moving rural.

Dallas/Ft. Worth Suburban Homestead Update:

Raised Beds completed and cabbages planted. I’m a little late to get the cabbages in but if they do well, I plan to make a lot of sauerkraut for the gutzzzz health.

Checked the HOA bylaws and of cours, no animals allowed, so that sucks.

Planning out solar and a bunch of DIY repairs. While DIY repairs might not be strictly on topic, my thought is every DIY project I complete is another skill in the homesteading toolbox.

Finally, looking for land. Kind of crazy, but I’m going to Idaho to scout properties. While Idaho is redder than Texas, there are few people there. I’m learning that I don’t want to be around people much anymore. :slight_smile: Land is fertile, but growing season will probably require a greenhouse or hydroponics build.

If we pull the trigger on property in Idaho, my plan is to build a gravel road, farm gate, well, and barn. Then full STOP! Slowly transition from Texas to Idaho by building tiny houses/cabins as funds allow.

6 Likes

Watched this video about a guy homesteading in the city. I wonder if you could hire someone like him to live on your land for a year or two and show you the ropes if you were going to try homesteading and knew close to nothing.

Randomly remembering this thread and wanted to bump it. I don’t want it to turn into a dystopian nuclear fallout how to survive thread. Im by trade a contractor and in the processing of building my place and being self reliant but at the same time realistic. This was almost all brought on by Covid and being stuck at home in portland Oregon.

I’m now living on an island in northwest. Connected to mainland by ferry. It’s taken me longer then I thought but finally should be able to start building this summer. While waiting for permits I was lucky enough to find a rental on the island. The guy that previously owned it was a survivalist/prepper. After living here for few months I have found some weakness in his planning. You are cut off from the mainland when it all goes to shit. You could take a boat easily back and forth but they creates some problems. The house is on a well which requires a pump which requires electricity. There is no back up generator or any other source of power. So I’m not sure what the plan was with no water source. The house itself is massively over engineered for a massive earthquake I assume.
Living super remote makes me think a gun is +ev even though it probably isn’t? The thought of a home intruder or something like that and no help coming for 45 min makes me think it’s probably the correct play. However who is coming to this island to do this?
It’s also super boring and being trapped sucks. I miss being able to just go to strip club or poker room to all hours of the night. Covid had a lot to do with my decision. I would say at this point I think If Covid some how just goes away or becomes something Thst I don’t care about is snap sell house I’m building and return to the city.
There are some cool things though. Ride my bike around with no traffic, super connected community, quiet, almost no crime, amazing views, beaches, and a few other things.

2 Likes