The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

ok boomer

3 Likes

So weird how well Martha and Snoop Dogg get along.

You think heā€™s her black friend that she can use to ward off accusations of being a racist?

Yeah, seriously. I have no idea why so many people are in love with her horrible boomer ass. She has always been awful.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/farmers-insurance-workers-blast-return-to-office-mandate-i-sold-my-house/ar-AA1cd6pB

Sheā€™s right. With everybody constantly dropping by your desk three days a week, you canā€™t get everything done.

2 Likes
1 Like

Iā€™m on day 12 out of 15 on this India/Bulgaria trip. I have to keep reminding myself that these trips allow me to be semi retired (10-15 hours) a good chunk of the time.

Canā€™t imagine working a 9-5 again.

2 Likes

An internship where you are only in the office one day per week seems like madness to me.

A few things are obvious to me.

• Work from office is valuable. But even better for the employer.
  • commuting to work and/or living near the office is terrible for the employee.

This is the conflict.

I really just wish that employers would realise that theyve lost. They dont get to go back to the old way for free. Everyone basically just got a massive quality of life pay rise and they arent giving it back.

But employers should explicitly pay people to come to the office. This seems fucking obvious. Then let the market decide. If itā€™s worth more to the employer than the employee then everybody wins.

Right now theres no market for it. So the advantageous trades dont happen and everyone is fighting.

Like. There should be internships that are 4 days in the office, plus an office day stipend to cover the cost and impact to employee.

We will get there eventually, just wish they would hurry the fuck up.

2 Likes

India/Bulgaria seems like a sadistic combo lol

1 Like

Wishfully agree but I still donā€™t understand why itā€™s better for the company to have people in an office.

Sure, now, when lots of businesses probably still have leases on space, but even ā€¦ that money is spent. Whatā€™s the upside, now or going forward? Is it really a bunch of middle management people desperate to stay relevant? I donā€™t find that to be a compelling argument, since the companyā€™s bottom line remains. Does the company somehow save money having people in the office? Or are they true believers that the company is more effective with in-office work?

My own company pulled people back in and I simply do not understand it. They pissed off everyone.

The only thing that makes sense imo is if companies wanted to passively reduce the number employees.

1 Like

Iā€™m not a corporate homer or anything but I think my job absolutely benefits from in-person meetings and interactions. I donā€™t think that applies to all jobs, though.

1 Like

I work in the B2B media space, and imo it makes zero difference. Full disclosure tho, Iā€™ve been a remote worker for like 15 years now (was not among those ā€œcalled backā€ since I was never in an office).

1 Like

Yeah in person collaboration is the reason my company uses to encourage people to come into work but our meetings are almost exclusively on Teams so it doesnā€™t check out in our case. Itā€™s also rare to walk to someoneā€™s desk and actually find them there so inevitably most things are done over email.

The reason people want you in the office

They paid a million dollars for their now empty building

Thatā€™s it

4 Likes

ā€œMBA doesnā€™t understand sunk cost fallacyā€

But they do.

Itā€™s not just this one building itā€™s all their buildings and all their future real estate deals get fucked with remote work

They just wonā€™t stand for it.

Iā€™m more productive in the office because there are fewer distractions and I have a better workspace. I also find in person meetings much more effective than Zoom/Teams. I think there are lots of other people like me, even though many people may be just as productive (or more productive) at home.

2 Likes

Itā€™s been said here plenty of times but I think peopleā€™s relationship with ā€œworkā€ has been changed. I donā€™t think itā€™s ā€œchanged unalterably,ā€ since it felt that way to begin with. But it will take an event. ā€¦ The truth is, people donā€™t want to work. Like, donā€™t. Not like a meme. Why tf would they? My company is seeing declining sales. Which imo checks with a widespread shift in peopleā€™s relationship to work. Because the b2b space is inherently non-essential, imo.

1 Like

Our building is owned by the the owner/CEO free and clear of any mortgages or encumbrances. The company ā€œleasesā€ the building from the owner. The COO and CFO work remotely with no issues.

That leaves me and my entire team along with the HR lady and her entire team and head of IT and his entire team, all of whose jobs could wholly be accomplished from home save for maybe the one day per week where checks need to be cut/signed or iPads for field guys need to be shipped/received. Nope. 70-something owner insists that we all schlep in five days a week. Itā€™s 45 minutes one way each day for me. I spend around $15/week just in tolls. Iā€™m usually late. Thankfully the guy I report to, the CFO, works remotely.