The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

Interviewed a guys today who was telling me about some complicated time series analysis that he did with crypto prices

:vince2:

4 Likes

I actually think that doing an example of work is probably a great way to hire.

If you were running a business. How could do this in a way where you actually paid people for the work in a non-douchey way?

Like. If you applied for a job that said. The 3rd round will be a paid project of approx 5 hours. Paid at approx 200% of the jobs salaryā€¦ how would you feel about that?

1 Like

Seems completely fine to me, and I would be suspicious of anyone who didnā€™t think it was fine.

To insure any actual work is paid for, people can be told that non-successful applicants will be given Visa gift cards for a pre-specified amount of money.

Good point. You would need to make it obvious the logistics of getting paid. Especially the folks who are unsuccessful.

I think the difference is that the take home project is just an exercise rather than something that the company could actually use, right?

1 Like

So they question is whether the work will be used. Rather than the amount of work?

I was thinking of something like. Research and put together some thoughts on how you would approach this real world problem.

Most of the time it wouldnt be anything you could use. But there might be some gold mixed in.

they already do this with take home tests that people do for free

Iā€™ve had them before that are weirdly specific.

I agree that itā€™s different if they can use it, but if itā€™s just several hours, I wouldnā€™t get too bent out of shape whether they could use it or not.

Yeah Iā€™ve done a couple take home projects. One for Netflix and one for dave.com. I didnā€™t get the Netflix job, I probably could have had the dave.com job but I wasnā€™t super interested.

Both projects were completely academic. Although I guess if I did something uniquely brilliant they could have stolen my idea.

If I had a company I would just hire candidates who seemed good for 2 weeks. You know 99.9% of the time after two weeks.

Also maybe the employee doesnā€™t want to continue. Which is probably better for both sides than the employee signing up and feeling obligated for at least 6 months (I was like that at business.com - knew Iā€™d made a mistake on day 1, lasted 9 months).

Maybe the best candidates wouldnā€™t go for it so thatā€™s a problem. But if you arenā€™t a FAANG you should be looking for diamonds in the rough anyway. Iā€™d go for it with 100% confidence Iā€™d be hired, assuming I wanted the job after two weeks.

Doesnā€™t the programmer still have copyright or do they make you sign that away?

Iā€™d do the same. They get hired for one month on an independent contractor basis. After that, it everyone is happy, you move on to a long term employment contract.

Itā€™s not really workable for the kinds of jobs that require relocation. But it would work for a lot of things.

1 Like

Since so many programmer jobs are full remote now - makes it even easier.

I should have added that it also wouldnā€™t work in cases where someone has to leave another job to take yours. That might be a bigger barrier.

I could easily fudge a 2nd remote job for two weeks. Iā€™m probably going to do it soon with a company that will let me work from the road.

Wouldnā€™t work for everyone. But a lot of people are leaving jobs because they have nothing or very little to do.

Really. That seems like the dream job for most people.

This may be relevant to your interests.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/equifax-said-it-fired-employees-for-working-as-many-as-3-jobs-at-once-in-an-internal-operation-known-as-project-home-alone/ar-AA12WgrL?li=BBnb7Kz

Iā€™ve worked from home and had nothing to do 3 times. I quit the first two and am about to quit the 3rd. I like what I do and I want to be part of something. I hate feeling guilty at the end of the day for ripping my employer off.

I donā€™t get motivated for personal projects that no one gives a shit about and maybe have 5% chance of being adopted by the company. I can do it for a bit, but I run out of gas real quick.

Although after begging my boss for a big project that weā€™re giving to a 3rd party vendor (who everyone knows is going to turn it into a disaster) because weā€™re all ā€œso busyā€, and her blowing me off, I donā€™t feel guilty about doing nothing anymore. I tried.

If they give me a big project, I will never look for another job in the middle of it, which means I will never quit in the middle, because no job is just going to find me. Iā€™m like 101 Arabian Nights. Just keep me occupied and you wonā€™t lose me. Let me idle for too long and Iā€™m gone.

Ugh, I recently quiet-quit my job because I wound up with literally nothing to do and it was the worst. Would rather be overworked than severely underbooked. I kinda think they were quiet-firing me by giving me nothing to do and compelling me to quiet-quit.