The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

Jfc

The bestselling author of “Blink” and “The Tipping Point” grew emotional and shed tears as he told the “Diary of a CEO” podcast hosted by Steven Bartlett that people need to come into the office in order to regain a “sense of belonging” and to feel part of something larger than themselves.

Man, I’m ashamed that there was a time that I thought Gladwell was a really insightful person. In my defense, I did snap out of it. It probably took longer than it should have.

2 Likes

ACA not B?

Reminder Gladwell was all over the Epstein flight logs and defended Jerry Sandusky lololololololol

1 Like

Lol Gladwell, that said, as soon as the labor market softens priority one for most CEOs is going to be to herd people back to the office five days whether necessary or not. Trying to enjoy these last few months of hybrid.

This is a pretty big “if”. Over 10,000 Americans are turning 65 every day. The mass exodus of boomers from the workforce plus culture war anti-immigration stuff is a major headwind to softening labor markets.

Fed is just going to raise rates until it happens. You can’t break inflation without breaking labor wage power.

Anecdotally, FWIW, most of the 65-75 year olds that I know still work in some form. Wonder if we start seeing more labor participation from that cohort, especially as retirement age edges upward and if we get a further correction in markets/further pension reform.

I agree in general but also think it somewhat depends on the drivers of inflation. If it’s at least in part caused by supply chain issues which get resolved, that could cool things. Also, I suspect that at least some part of this inflation was driven by crypto assets exploding. I mean some large percent of people that were suddenly paying cash for houses 20 percent over asking had to be crypto millionaires? So the crypto crash may also cool things. I’m not confident in these things, just stuff I’ve thought about.

1 Like

Poker players love effective altruism

2 Likes

I could never get deep into anything beyond microstakes because I hated how poker was a zero sum game. Felt bad when I lost and felt bad when I won. Unless it was like $1 lmao. Tournaments were much better for my psyche than cash games for that reason.

Well there’s what is actually driving inflation and then there’s there’s convenient story elites tell themselves. If they imagine labor power is driving inflation and they cause a recession to break it and inflation doesn’t go down? Oh well the world’s a mysterious place, get back to the office and as a present to foster goodwill there will be a TED talk by Malcolm Gladwell in the office during the lunch break, isn’t that cool‽

2 Likes

I don’t know if crypto exploding was the cause as much as it was just correlated with everything else. Crypto exploded because people had excess money and not much else to spend it on, not the other way around

But when crypto exploded it took a relatively small amount of wealth to create massive additional wealth. Pouring fuel on the fire. I’m guessing the crash will have somewhat of a deflationary effect.

1 Like

I didn’t say the profession was meaningless

It would be the Wild West without us

I’m saying the deliverable I create is worthless and just goes straight into a drawer.

I pick people up who are often so close to death that I’m the only one in the world at that moment equipped to get them to the care they need in time.

I also envy read this thread because I’ll never be able to go remote in this profession and sometimes I really want to.

Drones?! :)

There is probably some truth to this but it is also a piece of conventional wisdom that will be challenged by the tsunami of retiring boomers. Traditionally in a younger population (like 20th century USA) inflation would be fueled by wages because the purchasing power of young growing families drove spending in the economy. But a lot of that spending power is now in the hands of retired people and the rate of retirement is not really abating. The number of people over age 65 in the US was only 8% in 1950 and it will be over 20% in 2030 and continue to climb (more slowly) from there. It is going to get harder and harder to suppress prices by suppressing wages because more and more spending in the US will be driven by boomers that feel entitled to a consumer oriented retirement.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1559603151065554949?s=21&t=70aghYvMJGjKk226piWOUg

She was the class tattletale when she was a kid.

It’s insufferable that being a rat pays off in real life.

My gf is a Program Manager for a struggling retailer. They told her today that her hybrid role is being cut down to only Fridays as remote. Her boss and all of her teammates are in other states. Shes ready to quit and take a huge paycut to go totally remote due to all the dysfunction and bs.