The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

Seems like this “hoteling” style is the only one that makes sense. Workstations with docks that anyone can use with their laptop, only come in if you really need to.

2 Likes

Well I never heard of a stall called a cubicle so I misunderstood and thought it was a typo. But I get it, especially if your bathroom is always busy and full of other people shitting too.

This is what my company is doing.

It makes sense for us because they had some people working from home but were required to come in two or so days a week but they’d have an assigned cubical so cubical were empty 60% of the time.

My wife’s job does the same hoteling process but wants to require everyone to come into the office. Their office set up is a nightmarish open floor plan with glass office walls for the execs with no permanently assigned seating so their manager reserves their 10 or 12 analyst seats and I think the idea is that the managers will reserve locations close to the other teams they work with so it will organically organize itself. It sounds like pure hell in my opinion.

FWIW this is pretty much how my company and office are set up and it seems (seemed, pre-COVID) to work pretty well. We actually have an app that people can use to reserve spaces and it will tell you who that you work with is in office and where they’re sitting.

Post-COVID the big change is that partners/directors, many of whom used to have assigned offices, will also be hoteling. No more permanent offices for anyone except the biggest of the big wigs.

I’d rather work in the office. I’m terribly unproductive at home.

2 Likes

Read this as “wokestations” which I can def get behind

1 Like

And thats cool. There should be no problem there. Not having the option when people know they are more productive at home is asinine

1 Like

Surely you’ve heard someone say something along the lines of “If you need me, I’ll be in my office”, then they saunter off to the bathroom to poop. I think Matt’s rhetoric was along these lines and I never really made the connection, but definitely agree with the likeness.

If it works it works. I get hives from open office formats.

The university I work for went you had to make an excuse to wfh, to pretty much encouraging us to stay home. This has to be happening all over.

1 Like

Anyways, the solution is to let everyone who wants to work from home work from home and convert the offices into apartment buildings so some employees can live at work.

1 Like

I’m a consultant so some face time is helpful. Plus I makes more money on site vs zoom calls.

However, my clients are all laboratory based which requires people on site. I’d say on average I’m seeing people that don’t need to be in the building (admin, purchasing, HR) are at least partially staying wfh if not mosty aside from certain meetings or need to observe the process.

Even the lab folks seem to be choosing to find whole days to do their write-ups and meetings from home. So there are more like 4/1 or 3/2 office/home. The “grunts” are 100% in the lab.

https://www.theurbancountry.com/2005/10/survival-guide-for-taking-a-dump-at-work.html

This seems inevitable. The conversion of work spaces into living spaces has historical precedent. The first urban loft style housing were old warehouse and manufacturing buildings that were no longer being used for their original purposes. We could do the same with a lot of this now empty office space.

1 Like

The segregation of places where people live from places where people work has been a huge mistake in the organization of this country.

I love all these bosses baselessly asserting “people work better in the office” at the exact time that’s been proven exactly wrong in almost all white collar industries.

The bosses are sociopaths

2 Likes

Same.