The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

You’re confusing life stressors (e.g. finances) with job burnout.

People can get burned out at work regardless of their income.

My company has also been killing off support services, and now I get to spend part of my time approving team members’ expense reports for the $20 they spent on dinner. Great use of my time!

1 Like

I’ve had six interviews in the past three weeks and every single one asks, “So why do you want to leave your current company?” as if there haven’t been eleventy zillion news articles answering this stupid nonsense question over the past year ffs.

The worst is the second + interview and that person STILL asks it, as if they haven’t even talked to the first guy who interviewed me.

4 Likes

Industry?

Accounting

I mean the obvious correct answer is “probably for the same reason the poor prick left and created the vacancy you’re trying to fill” but gamezzzzz man

You qualifier at the end is definitely true. But even if we limit the discussion to the 40-50K set, I think Surf is onto something.

More money helps in a lot of way, but I don’t know that it necessarily helps with burnout per se. For example I think that if instead of moving their salary from $40K to $50K, you had them just do 80% of the work that they currently do (in the same amount of time), that would probably reduce burnout a lot more than the $10K salary increase. Admittedly, everyone of them would choose the extra $10K instead if given the option, but I think that is for reasons that are not specifically “burnout” (but perhaps burnout-adjacent).

I mean burnout is a cumulative thing between work and regular day-to-day-life. Making 25% more $$$ helps immensely with the latter and then the former becomes a lot more tolerable.

Yeah, like Riverman said, a lot depends on income level. I know tons of people who are burnt out or getting there. They all have plenty of money. I suppose even they may have money-related stress due to excessive spending and/or poor investing. Or because they’re like those dumb Bogleheads that Riverman links to on the reg who will always be stressed about money no matter how much they have.

15 Likes

My company also lost its support functions (they left and haven’t been replaced), and now that work just doesn’t get done. So all sorts of things could go wrong and just no one would notice.

“why do you want to leave your current company?”

“I don’t, I’m just hoping you will give me a good offer and they will match it”.

3 Likes

In this market people should honestly just lie about the offer and get their company to match it.

All kidding aside nobody should settle for less than a 10% raise this year. Nobody.

1 Like

Nobody useful. Lots of employees are not useful, but not worth firing. Those people definitely shouldn’t demand 10% raises if they want to keep their jobs.

1 Like

Those people should 100% switch jobs. Their current employers know they aren’t useful but other employers do not. They can get more than 10% by switching and there’s never been a better time to switch industries (which everyone useless should do… obviously the current industry isn’t a good fit if you’re useless).

Honestly a lot of people should switch jobs here. The fact that this is indisputably true is why so many people are switching jobs IMO. We’re seeing the first job market in our lifetimes that lives up to what economists have always claimed the free market should deliver.

1 Like

Been trying, but can’t even get hired for places that are 5-10% pay cuts for me.

~Zero chance I can get anything close to a 10% raise unless I move, which my wife and I would rather not do.

I could probably make way more money, but I currently get to work from home with basically zero supervision, with people I like. I’m basically never giving that up for anything less than a massive raise, and even then I’d think long and hard about it.

My Dad asked me when I was going to get a real job again?

I work about half time. My wife works about 3/4 time. We have a nice life. I sometimes have a bit of travel but I’d have that with a company job too.

I mostly don’t have to deal with company politics. We have figured out the tax/accounting piece to significantly cancel out having no benefits.

A “real job” would have to be awful special at this point. 2020 sucked but we got through. 2021 turned out to be pretty good. 2022 looks good. Got an EIDL as a cushion if world goes to hell again.

Working full time when you can get by part time is pretty crazy. Especially when PT jobs are 3 days a week and FT jobs are 6 days a week.

Great stuff, but I feel like it’s from around the time that /r/antiwork became /r/ThatHappened. A little too on the nose.

2 Likes