The Great Resignation: Remote workplaces and the future of work

Right, my uncle’s military pension was based on something like 80% of his salary at retirement, which was near if not over 100k/year IIRC.

1 Like

Hypocrisy is the calling card of the right. If you aren’t playing “It’s OK if and only if you are a Republican,” you aren’t a real Republican.

1 Like

They’ve reformed a lot of this stuff. But everyone who got into the system before the reform is grandfathered to the old plan. So it’s going to take a long long time to work them through the system.

1 Like

My buddy is a NYC fire fighter. He said the station all takes turns working extra shifts for a guy in his last year. (meaning they clock in as him as I understand it)

LOL “unconventional ways”. How about trying the conventional ways?

it takes me 30 hrs of procrastination to do 10 hours of work. and it’s a fair trade for my employer.

3 Likes

fixed my own post

yes, i realize i was responding to something from august. no need to DM me

2 Likes

someone over at nyt has been watching succession

been glancing at this for fun.

like wtf is going on in this picture? what era is this? is this guy an intern at the heritage foundation?

and this one is true for an approximately 0 percent (rounded down) of tech outside of microsoft and google. pool tables were at microsoft in the 90s, while everyone had an office, but then came the hiring boom and number of seats exploded. right now the space would be converted to 50 desks and 5 conference rooms. second floor might be rented out to another tech shop.

ok, i’m going to need a followup @Fatboy8 . did they need your help and did you charge $125?

1 Like

It looks like they won’t need my help.

I am in the midst of hustling a side gig with a local small engineering firm that needs IT help. I expect to charge $150/hr.

ETA: They don’t need my help yet. Looks like they are going to try to do it on their own. I won’t be surprised if I get a frantic call in a couple of weeks to help.

ok, bookmarking for 4 weeks from now.

image and

the problem with a lot of cops attitude is that they portray themselves as poor. like $250k in my metro area (seattle) is solidly in the top-25%, well into the upper income level. it matters a bit where you live, but when median is ~$70k, the cutoff for middle-class is at 200% of median. so even 10 years into a career, cops can be considered rich, not to mention tied to their badge with the pension coming up. compared to cops, almost all of the people they police are poor.

i heard that from career military as well. $95k/year for retired navy captain (circa 2010s though). sounds like overtime is where it’s at.

1 Like

All of my coworkers at the state university are a) lifers and b) on the old pension before the reform, where you get paid out for all your sick days when you retire, and you can accrue unlimited sick days. Needless to say no one ever calls in sick. If they’re actually too sick to work they use vacation time.

I had a choice of pension or 401k matching. But for the pension I’d have to stay 5 years minimum and then I’d get like $600/month from age 65 on or something. 10-15 years and it would start to be worth it. But no way I planned on staying 5 years much less 15 (when I’d be 65). And the 401k matching is I put in 7% and they put in 8%. So it was a no-brainer for me.

Every male on my mom’s side of the family is completely done by 65. None of them are enjoying any kind of retirement. Endless health problems, death, dementia. Fuck that.

https://aninjusticemag.com/i-helped-my-company-survive-a-global-pandemic-i-got-a-bag-of-chips-aa2170289147

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1464745888962822146

3 Likes

We are about to lease an entire new floor in our building and it is going to be used as a cafeteria, gym, game/pool room. All tech companies in Sydney seem to still have this, not just Google and Microsoft.

2 Likes

Can’t spend that money on labor, ldo