The Ginger C(h)at LC Thread for Sundry Chatchitting

The program I’m teaching is presessional. Entrance into their chosen Master’s program is contingent on passing this course. Theoretically, the student would not be admitted into the university and have their visa revoked, thus sending them back home.

What will actually happen is a different story. It would be embarrassing for the university to allow such cheating to go unpunished and to allow cheating to go unpunished is unfair to the students who work hard and did this paper legit. At the same time, international students bring in a crazy amount of money for these unis. We’ll see what happens.

My suspicion is that the powers that be claim that the evidence is insufficient and she passes. But I’m really cynical when it comes to dealing with the administration. Hopefully, it isn’t that.

Toni Morrison didn’t begin writing late, but she published much later than most writers, after a career in publishing as an editor in New York. This meant she gave the impression of coming into her literary life fully formed, with all the inflections of her style and the unique jazz-tinged poetry of her tone that encompassed the inward textures of black life, seen from the vantage point of wounded women who nevertheless have the strength to be witnesses to the brutalities of history on black lives and the unexpected redemptions, hard-won and ambiguous.

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like

Got to go here today:
https://www.gardnermuseum.org/

1 Like

Passed out before adding

2 Likes

And ate at

Twas a decent day

No idea why I give a shit about academic integrity when universities clearly don’t.

I have two options:

1. Fail everybody I suspect of cheating regardless of how strong the evidence is - Given that 70 percent of students admit to cheating, my success rate would probably be pretty high. Of course, my student feedback reports would be horrible and any student willing to fight back against me would likely win, leading me to getting fired.

2. Stop giving a shit and collect my paycheck - Why care if nobody above me does? Just collect my paycheck and hope that somebody else catches them at some point.

Make tests the only grades and change the test format to essays and fail the people who don’t know wtf they’re talking about

1 Like

I don’t have that amount of control over the curriculum.

sounds like you’re trapped in #2 but i’d complain

Already did. It’s the money that matters though.

I wish mine would cheat better bc jfc they can’t hack it on their own merit. I only make an issue about the plagiarism thing when the SafeAssign score comes back more than 35. Even then I usually just point out that they have to cite work that’s not their own and it often panics them enough to stop. They’re hopeless w exams. I can give them the questions and it barely makes a difference.
Our administration is more worried about grade inflation than academic integrity when it comes to students. Given my grade distribution I’m not on anyone’s radar and that’s fine with me.

When I was college, I took this pass/fail humanities class that was required. In retrospect, it was probably a solid class but I was lazy and felt I had better things to do with my time. So my goal was to pass with the minimum possible effort. I almost never showed up for class and wrote some really shitty papers (grade was based on average of 4 papers). After the first 3, I realized that I might actually fail this class and then I’d have to retake it, so I actually put real effort into the last one and wrote one of the better papers I’d ever written for anything.

Prof gives me good enough to pass, but has comments all over that make it clear he thinks someone else wrote it or I plagiarized the main ideas. I’m certain it would have been an A if it came from a different student.

I was insulted enough that I actually went to his office hours told him that he had me all wrong. Not sure that he believed me. I didn’t even care if he changed the grade, since I passed and mission was accomplished.

1 Like