The Former Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Volume XI: The Crypt Keeper Years

it’s sort of brilliant that he’s spinning this way.

first of all, there was an npr podcast about operation warp speed, which had nothing to do with development of the vaccines, as the labs already formulated and started testing them, but everything to do with authorizing faster trials.

secondly, trmp was touting hcq and expensive as shit monoclonal as if they would be miracles for everybody. like there’s real damage being done by promising universal access to it before studies have concluded and production is scaled.

and finally, he could have been advocating vaccines for a whole year at this point, during which half a million would die. but he didn’t. we are legitimately shocked he’s pushing back on candace owens of all people, even though it’s obvious he’s just trying to grab credit.

1 Like

They’ll still vote for him though.

It’ll be the same, “He’s no angel, but…” rhetoric from them. He could do just about anything and the same rationalization will exist.

1 Like

Right, but that is the development of the vaccines. The formulation was apparently trivial (surprising to me as well), but the rapid trials were necessary to the deployment of the vaccines. It’s a legitimate accomplishment of the Trump administration, one of only a few. I’d say setting up the framework for the Biden Afghanistan withdrawal and marginally improving the trade policy facing China are his only other accomplishments of note. But the vaccines’ rapid approval is the most significant.

Sure. I don’t think Trump did that exactly, his messaging was more many people are saying this could be the greatest covid treatment in the history of treatments. I’ll not defend his exaggerated cheerleading salesmanship on this stuff, except to point out that it was exaggerated cheerleading salesmanship.

Again, that’s exactly what I’m saying. It’s great the Trump is saying this but he should have been saying it a long time ago.

In the general, absolutely. The only question is whether he can lose enough support that he might be defeated in a primary.

Trump being defeated in a primary is probably our best shot at fading disaster. No way he sits out the general quietly, or endorses the R winner.

They’re fucking idiots for not convicting him and lifetime banhammering him.

2 Likes

Trump losing the primary is going to require someone risking their career to go hard enough after Trump to beat him, though. I think it’s more likely we see someone half-ass a Presidential run to set themselves up to be Trump’s VP so they can run as Trump’s successor in 2028.

I totally agree. Although I’m not really sure how many Democrats would be against taking the Trump Vaccine. Who knows, for sure some.

Although you could maybe say this about either party: if they actually worked to help people instead of just helping their actual constituents, [bernie voice] millionaires and billionaires [/bernie voice], they would win every single election everywhere.

Do you think any of them wish they had done so in retrospect?

I’m with you on the live repubs, but more dem dead is less likely to be true.

If rebups get vaxxed and masked in large numbers we have less spread and less aggregate dead. This probably saves dems more than the few who would be anti-Vax or anti-Mask just because Trump is for it.

Problem is that you beat Trump by being further to the right than him, not by being more sensible.

I honestly don’t think I would want the kind of person that beats Trump in a primary as POTUS. It’d be worse than Trump as president

Why not someone who is crazier than Trump and more capable of self-sabotage?

Still think DeSantis could potentially win a primary vs Trump.

1 Like

What does he offer primary voters that they don’t get from Donnie Dumb Dumb?

Lack of capitulation on vaccines.

1 Like

Trump will get a boatload of coverage if he has an opponent in the primaries. No opponent = not much coverage during that period. Trump is 1-1 in the general when he had to win the Republican nomination and 0-1 when the nomination was given to him.

William Weld?

Trump did have to beat him in 2020.

I mean a serious challenge.

Yeah, I’m just busting your balls.

I think that there is definitely something to your theory. Here’s the thing, no one is going to want to be the guy that goes up against Trump and gets the Jeb treatment. That dooms their political future. But at the same time you can’t throw up a Weld.

So, the best solution is that someone “serious” has to take one for the team and go up against Trump. Trump will shit all over them and they will have to get something in return. And it likely can’t be VP. Anyone who goes through a primary with Trump and comes out on good enough terms that Trump would have him as a running mate, was not “serious” enough to get the kind of media attention that is best for Trump.

i mean, giving him credit right now for saying one thing that he should have been saying for 14 months already (since phase 3’s started), is the hot take. not only is he at the tail end of when it would matter, but it also gives a pass to him spreading misinformation for the last 22 months.

1 Like