The Crapto Thread

Tweet is from 9 years ago

So did WAPO cost him millions, or did it save him thousands because he had his money in one of the countless sites that were hacked over the years?

https://twitter.com/ColeSouth/status/1519409926803623938

1 Like

I wonder what % of under 10$ bitcoin buyers held all the way until 2020 bull run.

Maybe the whales like CZ and Sam Bankman.

I think even Satoshi dumped his coins? He told another developer in 2013 that he was moving on to other things and disappeared.

Awice held them all except for the multiple times where he’s flipped his position short at the high only to get long again at the next low.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1550596570411925506?t=8Ib-Vm-2OgMShK2JPI9wLg&s=19

I seriously doubt anyone for 2+2 has a billion or even hundreds of millions in BTC. My recollection from occasionally reading that thread is that most of the early advocates sold along the way.

Awice ran up his position using leverage in 2020 to $100M.

I think he got blown out in 2021 in the mini crash.

He admitted on twitter he lost 8 figures.

If you held bitcoins at $10 average cost and it runs up to $1000, if you had invested $100 000 at $10/coin, now you have $10M, I think 99% of people would sell at that point.

Right - Im not faulting people for that. The article claimed people on 2+2 had three commas of BTC which I was doubting.

1 Like

I know at least one guy who got in heavily and at least his sentiment never wavered. He is and always has been such a libertarian true believer, the type to say he doesn’t care when the BTC to USD price crashes cause he still has the same amount of BTC. Tough to say what he’s actually worth cause I’ve never asked for numbers and he never changed his standard of living. He might not be a billionaire but it wouldn’t surprise me if someone like him was.

don’t think Satoshi dumped

Never selling and selling everything both seem kinda dumb to me. Take some profit and let the rest ride imo.

2 Likes

Not sure if he was in that thread, but how much crypto did Haralabos have?

Yikes at some of these

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1550160830762782724

Yeah ugh. My takeaway is how terrible capitalism is. All these desperate people trying to spin it up with zero idea of what can happen.

1 Like

i do feel bad for them but some of the #unbanked people seem impossibly stupid. you take celsius et al basically at their word and you dump your life savings into it based on a promise? FDIC insurance is a thing like, for a reason. what did they think that was? some kind of scam? if celsius ripped them off, what did they expect would happen?

Yeah that’s what I mean though. These people are obviously deluded and I don’t attribute a lot of fault (personally wouldn’t describe them as impossibly stupid, at least not most of them) to them as much as a culture that glorifies get rich quick and just unseemly levels of wealth (and displays of it).

2 Likes

There is a type of person who sees our entire financial system, including stuff like FDIC insurance, as a house of cards and then tries to will it’s collapse into existence.

If you look under the hood and think about it, the underpinnings of our society do seem shaky and it is indeed possible that one day the Fed, US dollar, etc. may collapse. But doing all this weird shit isn’t going to save you from the fate of the normies in the doomsday scenario.

1 Like

the thing with that though is crypto would not likely survive any event that collapsed global currencies anyway. what would they exchange it for, bottlecaps?

1 Like