The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene Heading to FLA Panhandle

Well part of the problem was Hurricane Sandy. Before it made landfall in NJ, it lost its tropical characteristics. So even though it had 90 mph winds, it wasn’t a hurricane. Parts of West Virginia got over 3 feet of snow. And if I remember correctly, a lot of people weren’t able to file insurance claims because it wasn’t a hurricane. I mean that’s LOL and everything but what you gonna do? So the NHC basically expanded the criteria for a storm. The next time a storm like Sandy hits, they won’t downgrade it. They’ll just say post tropical storm or whatever.

U mean Alpha? Because Beta wanders around in the Gulf of Mexico and I wouldnt be so sure about this one.

Beta is not masculine enough to be a real force.

1 Like

Is the season over yet or we just gonna do this all year long from now on?

It’s in a lull but it can run into November, and October in particular has been a big month for named storms lately.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure to be honest. I just know when to gtfo out of town (normally haha).

1 Like

Yeah this has been a welcome respite, but we’re nowhere near being out of the woods yet.

Hurricane season ends November 30th.

And can even go past that.

The last storm of 2005 was Tropical Storm Zeta, which was named on December 30.

1 Like

Fucking bump. FUCK.

2 Likes

GL sir.

This has the potential to be a bad one.

I know. We’re bailing Wednesday after work if nothing changes.

1 Like

Yeah this one could actually hit NOLA

Le sigh

Good luck. New Orleans is one of my favorite cities to visit, I hate seeing it get hit. Hopefully this one misses NOLA and other population centers.

1 Like

There is definitely an argument that can be made that New Orleans is the greatest American city. Hoping this doesn’t turn out as bad as some of the forecasts out there.

1 Like

On a music college trip I scored weed right out of the airport in NOLA and was the hero of our group. “How can you just talk to random (black) people?!” Then, when i spent all my money and had to go to a Western Union in the actual ghetto to get my money I was the crazy one. They wouldn’t let me go alone. At noon on a weekday. Then, they walked with me but because I had $300 on me we couldn’t walk back to the French Quarter. Had to get a cab. Gangbangers were going to jump me for $300 in the middle of the day. I’d love to go with cool people.

5 Likes

I hear mostly deplorables I know talking about how unsafe it is. I have, on at least 10 occasions, stumbled totally hammered solo from the French Corner to Harrah’s late at night to sleep with zero altercations. That isn’t a short walk and it is full of people.

Either people are full of shit or you get picked on if you look like a POS white person only.

Well, a year or two later the same music group went and I didn’t go. My friend was trying to buy weed and some dude brought him around some corner into a sidestreet where it gets dark fast and the guy pulled a knife on him and tried to mug him. Cops noticed it in a car and drove up with lights/sirens on and the mugger ran. The cops asked him if he was buying ass or grass lmao. He finally said grass and they told him to stick to buying it in his hotel lobbies because he will end up dead otherwise.

A music professor before our trip told us of a friend of his who went there in the 70s and was never seen again, presumably fed to the alligators.

My first time there was a National Christian Youth Convention (Missouri Synod) when I was 13. My friend’s brother who went with had just turned 18 and at the time it was legal to buy at 18 there. We got wasted and skipped every god damn event and wandered around New Orleans without a care in the world. My first times getting drunk.

1 Like

Maybe I have been lucky but I have seen and gotten into way sketchier shit in vegas, a place all white people love, vs. New Orleans.

Like clearly it isn’t the safest place on earth but it isn’t scary either imo. Most of the tales are from racists being shocked at how many black people there are.