The 2024 Hurricane Season - Helene Heading to FLA Panhandle

The wrath of God isn’t always expressed with what I’d call surgical precision

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1299070484143845383

What this hurricane missed seems pretty surgical. 100 miles to the east or west would have likely been an extreme catastrophe.

Just saw a video from weather.com and people saying they gonna rebuild in the same location. What could go wrong!?

Would you say the same if it were a city you heard of before last week?

I helped during the 2002 flood in Dresden(2002 European floods - Wikipedia) and there was another big one in 2013 and few in between. Yes if I would have been a victim once I wouldnt have rebuild so close to the river again. You cant always spend all the money over and over again because you making the same mistakes. Flood protection is expensive and giving the rivers room is not very popular but I guess the view on the rivers compensates the rest of the time. Governments should encourage and reward relocation.

Not really new thread worthy imo but here we go again. Sally keeps turning east and hoping it doesn’t come over here to Florida. Looks like we are going to get a shitton of rain but hoping the winds stay <80mph for us. Good luck Mobile, Biloxi or wherever this lands.

My parents beach house is in gulf shores, them and my siblings families were planning beach trip in 2 weeks. Hopefully the house doesn’t get fucked up

2 Likes

The fact there ia significant flooding in advance of this in places like Bay St. Charles make me really worry this could be worse than Laura even though it is nowhere near as strong. It is just better aimed for more destruction.

1 Like

Trying to explain to my friend the best case is we get 40mph winds and 12"+ of rain. 25% shot that this thing goes crazy ivan towards us and puts the town underwater. Probably too late to leave by the time anyone really knows where it will land.

Yeah slow weaker ones can be worse than fast strong ones because they can just sit there and pour tons of water over the land.

Where are you?

This thing is slowing down, and could hit as strong as a Cat 3, and it’s barely a news story on CNN.com. There are four other hurricanes currently in the Atlantic - barely a national news story.

What a time to be alive. Meanwhile I’m worried about Teddy and the one that’s likely to become Wilfred, which is currently . It’s got a 60% chance of formation in the next five days, and if it forms that far out it has a loooooong time to strengthen. It’s currently still SSE of the Cabo Verde Islands. This thing could be a hurricane within 400-500 miles of the coast of Africa, which leaves it like 2,500 to 3,000 miles to strengthen before even getting to the Caribbean.

I’ve got a very bad feeling about this one.

Pcola

1 Like

Spaghetti models for Teddy don’t show it coming anywhere near anything.

I know, but it’s so far out that a relatively small shift in direction now can have a pretty significant impact on it’s path a week out.

I don’t like storms that form that far out. Maybe I’m wrong about this but it seems like way more time to strengthen over water is bad news.

It could very easily clobber Bermuda as a Category 3+

I’m reading Sally is gonna be a cat 1 now, but gonna dump a huge amount of rain due to its low speed

Also, this is the earliest S storm ever…the previous record holder was named on October 2nd so over 3 weeks later in the year.

And we already have Hurricane Vicky, a V, 18 days prior to the old Record for S

1 Like

Cuse take a Xanax pal. Meanwhile:

5 Likes

Don’t they usually leave the coast of Africa fairly strong? I think they generally then weaken over the middle of the Atlantic, and then gain strength when they get back over warm water. (I could be completely wrong but that’s what I thought.)

1 Like