Tennis anyone?

What size for what shoe size fits you, looks like people have had trouble with sizing according to reviews.

Got caught by my energizer buddy today. Started out crushing, then got in love with my slice shots and he took the aggression away from me. By the time I started coming over the ball again I had lost my depth and pace and he ran my ass all over.

I love my variety but man can it cost me sometimes.

Was playing doubles last night, my partner served a very spinny second serve, the returner hit a knuckleball, I go aggressively after it, frame it, and the ball goes straight into my eye.

The result is a corneal abrasion that has had my eye tearing up for a whole day. Luckily it’s getting better.

The lesson: wear protective eyewear, kids.

2 Likes

My nightmare. Scratched cornea as a kid on a pencil shaving. Eye stuff is my kryptonite.

I will not be sleeping tonight.

1 Like

I’m bummed because I have my first 4.0 match on Saturday and I don’t know if I’ll make it.

Ouch

Yeah I don’t like eye stuff

The main reason I’ve never gotten lasik is because wearing glasses protects my eyes

Are you wearing an eyepatch?

Hope it feels a lot better by tonight. My partner and I and subbed in for our 4.0 team last year (‘19) after we’d already played our 3.5 match.

We actually played well but still lost 1 and 2 I think. Of course that was #3 position. He and I play #1 at 3.5.

Feeling much better this morning, thanks. I’m still doubtful for tomorrow but I think I’ll make it.

I’ll be playing the #1 line in that 4.0 match, so I expect a good beating!

1 Like

Did anyone watch Federer’s first match in 14 months? I watched some of the first and third sets, and he looked really good at times and a little rusty at others. Great to see him back competing.

On a different note, Sinclair sucks as a company and they own the Tennis Channel, but TCPlus is pretty elite for people who can’t get enough tennis through regular cable. My wife and I are the type to watch a first round women’s doubles at a WTA 500 event and be thoroughly entertained.

I mostly watch majors. Same with golf. I don’t know why. Had no idea TC was Sinclair.

Why can I volley so well one day and suck the next time out (today)? I could have lost 4 and 4 and instead of 1 and 3. My buddy the energizer buddy was playing exceptionally well today, but I wasn’t finishing my offensive points. I was making him hit the extra ball(s) but he wasn’t missing his chances much.

On a poz note— 1:15 all out and no Achilles soreness or stiffness. Progress.

1 Like

Doubles win 6-0, 6-2. Opponents were not having good days. But I served 4 times. I believe I got 13 firsts, no doubles, a couple of wide aces and lost only 1-2 points total on serve. My partner is usually a double fault machine and only had 1.

After I play singles serving from the T, the box looks so huge serving from the sideline with the angle in doubles.

Long story but my club ended up with two 40+ 3.5 teams. (Previously we had an 18+ and a 40+). Guys could and did double roster. The great singles player stayed with me but I lost my #1 doubles guy to the other team since everyone had to pick. Sucks. But it is what it is. I think we will be back to the bad news bears.

On the other hand, I got a ball back I didn’t even see today. My partner hit a sitter and the net guy crushed it towards my feet from 15’ away. In the process of getting out of the way the ball hit my frame and made a perfect parabola over the net guy. His partner chased it down and I got an easy overhead to finish the point. At no point did I know where the ball was until it was well over the net guy.

1 Like

USTA League starts this Saturday. Pray for us. Lost my top doubles player and two other solid players from 2019.

Plus they have us all in one big flight this year. Could get ugly with a couple of super teams that have only lost to each other the past few years.

My top singles player is our anchor. (Format is three courts of doubles and two courts of singles).

T-16 hours. It’s been two years since playing competitive matches.

At least it’s supposed to be about 60F with no real wind.

2 Likes

Good luck!

We are at the tail end of our 40+ season already. With three matches left we are one of the three teams tied at 6-1. We should win our next two matches (against weaker teams, no jinx!) and then we have to play one of the 6-1 teams. We probably need to win that one to make it to a tiebreaker playoff to go to sectionals.

Our 18+ season starts in two week, and we’ll be back to the 2singles/3doubles format (we’re doing 1S/2D in 40+ due to COVID). Back to herding cats!

2 Likes

What a disaster. We got smoked. My partner and I played the spin doctors. We played much better in the second set but lost several deuce games.

Dammit.

2 Likes

The important thing is that you tried.

And failed.

So frustrating to lose those close games. A couple of points going your way can make a huge difference.

I play in a couple of hours in our last 4.0 match. Our team is 0-8, but we’ve been close in a bunch of matches and could have taken down one of the top teams if my teammates would have converted a match points. Regardless, having most of our 3.5 team play 4.0 has made us all better players.

Honestly, I just imagined these guys playing tennis

Probably should’ve imagined you and your partner playing tennis to “Two Princes” or spinning in circles while wearing stethoscopes instead.

1 Like