Star Wars, Marvel and the end of Cinema

The discussion has evolved and people are ascribing claims to me I didn’t make.

This began with me saying Star Wars led to today’s situation. People are now claiming I said star war is the only or the most important factor leading to today. Those are very different.

Today situation is caused by a ton of factors like demographics, steaming ect.

My claim is just that Star Wars kick started it and without it I am not sure we end up here. I still hold this position.

The worst for me is the crinkly bag sound when they’re opening candy. They know it’s annoying, so they try to do it as slow as possible, but this just makes it even more annoying b/c then the sound lingers longer. Just give it one loud rip and be done with it.

If I have stuff like that with me, I’ll usually pre-open all items so I can make as little noise as possible. It helps that in my area, the theatre is at most 10% full, unless it’s an absolute blockbuster in week 1 or 2. I’ve had a pretty good streak of about 30 films with being annoyed (I see roughly 2 a week).

A while ago, we were in the theatre with 4 other people so I thought we were in the clear, but then a couple was basically having a discussion during the entire film (not sure if about the film or random crap).

1 Like

I am militant about some of this. I regularly tell people to stop talking during a movie. I give almost no rope on this.

Yeah, both Episode 1 and Episode 7, through a combo of the shared excitement/cheering/etc. in the theater, and just generally being hyped up, somehow tricked me into thinking the movie was “pretty good”. It wasn’t until I rewatched each of them at home that I was like “holy shit this is kinda bad”, and I can’t believe I got fooled again the exact same way with Episode 7 like 16 years later.

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

Quote for me one sentence in any of the articles that says “the audience has been trained to go to theatres for only comic book films” and I’ll never post in this thread again. They do say that people favor franchises and characters over actors, but two examples that are given are Inside Out 2 and Twisters, very much not a comic book movie that were smashing successes. Even a cursory look at the top box office movies in the 2000s, 2010s, and 2020s reveals plenty of non-comic-book, non-Star-Wars movies. If you want to expand your generalization to cartoons not counting, and musical adaptations not counting, and the occasional Christian Bible story not counting, then you’re mad at most of the commercial successes Hollywood has ever had dating back to its founding.

No one disputes this. Not even me. The disagreement is over your slipshod imputation of causality all heaped upon Star Wars and comic book movies rather than the more prominent causes discussed in your own sources.

1 Like

I agree on hating going to a packed theater. I used to go to like 5-7 movies a week back in the day and almost always in the early afternoon. I would often be alone and I loved it.

3 Likes

For some films, like a comedy, a packed theatre really adds to it I think.

True. I have had good experiences in crowded theaters but I have also had many bad ones. Given my druthers I would take a theater to myself. Really my favorite way to watch a movie.

In what ways did Star Wars enhance filmmaking?

This is a bad take. Audiences vote with their wallets, so they are going to spend their money on movies they want to see in theaters. Star Wars happened when cable TV was becoming a thing. It used to be you had to wait years for film to make it to broadcast TV, but HBO changed that.

Star Wars was a result of technology catching up to storytelling. There have always been blockbusters, but the advancement of special effects changed the types of stories that got made. Instead of Ben Hur, you got Star Wars. James Cameron had the idea for Avatar years before the technology was available so he had to wait.

The reason for “IP movies” being a thing is because studios are so risk adverse. They are way more likely to go with something familiar, so original ideas are ignored.

Gonna have to disagree here. How can getting to make good movies be a bad thing?

By advancing special effects technology.

1 Like

She’s trolling

It’s a serious question (that is also trolling Clovis).

3 Likes

There are lots of ways it advanced effects for sure.

1 Like

Like usual sound is forgotten

2 Likes

Didn’t know it advanced sound. How so?

1 Like

Heard of a thing called THX?

3 Likes
3 Likes

Technically it wasn’t from that movie but it is part of its legacy

1 Like

Ya I thought that was after Star Wars.

1 Like